Prop bushing for Mccauley

I didn't realize each thread should be considered in a vacuum or that permission was required. CO asphyxiation and potential cowling fire followed by questionable prop hardware meet my tests for "elevated."

I don't see what in this thread is indicating a need for you to kick that comment my way? The engine and prop combination are the same as many certified airplanes, as is the exhaust that started all this. The minor maintenance I'm doing right now is no different than a Cub.

I didn't realize each thread should be considered in a vacuum or that permission was required. CO asphyxiation and potential cowling fire followed by questionable prop hardware meet my tests for "elevated."
I've had CO issues and cracked exhausts on many different kinds of airplanes - from nearly brand new Diamond DA-20s to older Piper/Cessna to my experimental. I don't see anything I've experienced that's not typical maintenance stuff, and I'm certainly not surprised by it.

Here is a by far worse carbon monoxide incident I had five years ago in a Diamond DA-20 that was only a few years old:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12295

I guess DA-20s are risky too.

Now I might be surprised if my wings fall off. But I'm certainly not surprised that an old J3 cub exhaust cracked - nor am I surprised when a new certified exhaust cracks.

I wasn't trying to say you can't post what you did, instead I was trying to figure out what you see that I don't see.

Last edited:
I didn't consider it a jab, I thought it was a legitimate observation. If the muffler had burned off and the cowling had caught fire would you have accepted the ensuing bail-out as a legitimate reason for wearing a chute, or would you have limited it to wing failure only?

I've had CO issues and cracked exhausts on many different kinds of airplanes - from nearly brand new Diamond DA-20s to older Piper/Cessna to my experimental. I don't see anything I've experienced that's not typical maintenance stuff, and I'm certainly not surprised by it.

Here is a by far worse carbon monoxide incident I had five years ago in a Diamond DA-20 that was only a few years old:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12295

I guess DA-20s are risky too.

Now I might be surprised if my wings fall off. But I'm certainly not surprised that an old J3 cub exhaust cracked - nor am I surprised when a new certified exhaust cracks.

I wasn't trying to say you can't post what you did, instead I was trying to figure out what you see that I don't see.

.....questionable prop hardware meet my tests for "elevated."

Please define "questionable prop hardware".....:dunno::dunno:..

All the raw materials I use are traceable. I fabricate one-off prototype stuff for cars that are in the top ten in the NASCAR standing, 320 mph + NHRA dragsters, 300+ MPH salt racers and most importantly all the trick stuff in my plane. I will put my quality up against anyone, anytime...:yesnod:..

You want junk.:dunno: Go buy some FAA CERTIFIED Magnetos made by Champion..:yes::eek::rofl:

Not your stuff, the stuff he's replacing.

All the raw materials I use are traceable. I fabricate one-off prototype stuff for cars that are in the top ten in the NASCAR standing, 320 mph + NHRA dragsters, 300+ MPH salt racers and most importantly all the trick stuff in my plane. I will put my quality up against anyone, anytime...:yesnod:..

You want junk.:dunno: Go buy some FAA CERTIFIED Magnetos made by Champion..:yes::eek::rofl:

You should fabricate me up what I need to put a Ford V8 in the Flybaby. I'd think it'd climb pretty good.

Hard to beat this sound:

All the raw materials I use are traceable. I fabricate one-off prototype stuff for cars that are in the top ten in the NASCAR standing, 320 mph + NHRA dragsters, 300+ MPH salt racers and most importantly all the trick stuff in my plane. I will put my quality up against anyone, anytime.
If you are that good gain PMA and sell the bushings to the public.

Use plenty of nickel anti-seze on the hardware of the exhaust parts.

Received it and it looks great! I should be receiving the exhaust system today if UPS doesn't screw me over like they usually do.

did ya weigh it yet????

I am guessing it is 3.4 grams

did ya weigh it yet????

I am guessing it is 3.4 grams
It was about 5 grams. Really pretty close just depends which one of mine you compare it to, but then again my scale may suck.

I haven't really gotten that far yet..just figured I'd get the exhaust together and then spend some time really looking at the bushings to decide what to do.

Last edited:
And what did it take to prove compliance with the FAA's policy?

I walk into the fab shop, drop the old part, tell em how to make the new part and inspect when complete. That's an FAA owner supplied part as directed in the FARs.

I walk into the fab shop, drop the old part, tell em how to make the new part and inspect when complete. That's an FAA owner supplied part as directed in the FARs.

that does not comply with excepted practices IAW the FAA.

see the AC 43-18

It was about 5 grams. Really pretty close just depends which one of mine you compare it to, but then again my scale may suck.

I haven't really gotten that far yet..just figured I'd get the exhaust together and then spend some time really looking at the bushings to decide what to do.

Place all 5 of the old bushings on the scale, and divide the weight by 5, get the average weight, then compare to the actual weight of the new bushing by placing all 6 on the scale, and dividing the average of 6 to the total you got for the average of 5 plus 1 average of the 5.

Last edited:
Back