Proof the stimulus package really works...

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
I bought a new car! This is a big deal to me, as I keep cars for many years and purchase them seldom. Mrs. Steingar's Toyota was going on 15, and while it was running well it was beginning to develop issues. I'd been thinking about replacing it before anything became critical, since my truck went away we've discovered a need for a hatchback, and have been looking at the "entry level" hatchbacks offered by a number of manufacturers. I figured with the economy the way it is the time for a bargain was at hand, and the stimulus cemented the deal. We only saw two hatchbacks on the net that were less than pukogenic, and commenced our search.

We test drove a Toyota Yaris, which also comes in a hatchback and was the odds on favorite, given our favorable history with Toyota (the Tercel never needed any repair in over 14 years). For the first time ever I was really unimpressed with a Toyota. It was loud, slow, cramped, and had the dash display in the middle of the panel. Yuuch! It was dark while we were driving, and you couldn't even see your hands on the wheel.

We went next door to test drive the Honda Fit. We were really blown away. The thing looks larger on the inside than the outside, and is so quiet you can't hear the motor at idle (and unusual thing for a subcompact). It easily kept pace with the Toyota and was priced similarly to the model we examined. It was super roomy for us, being subcompact models ourselves. We were sold, wife's got a new ride we now call the TARDIS, since it appears to violate the laws that govern the space/time continuum. The seats do tricks, and it is a Honda with their reputation for dependability. I don't have a photo of it, but pulled one off the web in the same color.

Of course, now all I have to do is pay for it.

Attachments

• 4119.jpg
    4119.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 39
Of course, now all I have to do is pay for it.

They let you take it without paying for it!!! Knew there were some great deals out there but WOW, that's excellent.

Have always had good success with Honda's and Toyota's, hopefully this will make it well beyond TBO. You can honestly say you've done your part to pull us out of the doldrums.

Gary

They let you take it without paying for it!!! Knew there were some great deals out there but WOW, that's excellent.

I did go out the door without paying them a dime, but cut them a check for the whole thing the next morning. I am hugely broke, and will probably borrow some money from the bank (equity line) until I build it back up again.

Have always had good success with Honda's and Toyota's, hopefully this will make it well beyond TBO. You can honestly say you've done your part to pull us out of the doldrums.

Gary

My Honda motorcycles have always been really good, but this is my first Honda car. Hopefully it does well. There is a Honda plant here in Ohio, but this one was built in Japan. Oh well, the guys who sold it, imported it etc... all made some money, so maybe I made things a little bit better.

Cool. Good luck with it. Amazing how two similar-looking cars can have such differences...

Why on earth would they put the speedo in the middle of the dash?

FIT is a great car. VERY versatile, but I couldn't get a version with Traction Control. Went with a CRV :)

I think it's so they can sell it in Japan without too many modifications. All they need to move is the steering wheel.

I have had a Yaris a couple times for a rental. It might be OK if you drive mostly in the city but I thought it was underpowered and I wasn't fond of the instrument cluster in the center either.

We test drove a Toyota Yaris,... It was loud, slow, cramped, and had the dash display in the middle of the panel.

I rented one last fall. I agree with every negative thing you have to say about it, and let Hertz know in no uncertain terms when I returned it. What a POS!

Which provision of the stimulus package prompted your purchase?

Which provision of the stimulus package prompted your purchase?

I'll be able to deduct the sales tax I paid (around 1AMU) off my Federal taxes next year. Not much, but something.

I thought I'd be able to take advantage of the slow economic times, but I was sadly mistaken. The dealership was busy both times we were there, and they actually let me walk right off the lot without budging in price at all. I've never had that happen ever when buying a car. I think they are having no trouble whatsoever selling these things, at least in my town. Things aren't quite os bad here as they are in the rest of Ohio. Yet.

My Honda motorcycles have always been really good, but this is my first Honda car. Hopefully it does well.
I have owned 5 honda motorcycles, a honda civic, two honda CRXs, a honda pilot (currently), and a honda generator. Without exception, every single one has been flawlessly reliable over the long haul. The Pilot now has 95K miles on it and looks and runs like new. My one criticism of Honda is the growing use of proprietary parts (including fluids such as transmission fluid) that have extraordinary markup.

Cool. Good luck with it. Amazing how two similar-looking cars can have such differences...

Because the masters of the center speedometer have been making a killing, so the spinoffs have been numerous (Oh, you want a small car, we got your small car here. Oh, contrast roof, heck yeah we can do that. Center speedometer, got it!... kinda... Etc etc.) All imitations. :D

I think I know why...but no matter the case, it SUCKS.

No way am I EVER buying a car with the dash in the middle.

-TD

My Honda motorcycles have always been really good, but this is my first Honda car. Hopefully it does well.

We're on our 3rd Acura and our 2nd Honda. All have been completely reliable and we don't retire our cars until they have at least 150,000 miles, sometimes 200,000 before they go.

My only real Honda gripe is that the dealers try to arbitrarily halve the service intervals to boost their billings, so you need to know what's really in the manual's service schedule and not go by what the dealer says. That, and once a car gets to be high mileage, they'll play the, "jack up the radiator cap and put a new car under it" game where the service tech points worriedly at things and the service advisor nods and frowns on cue. At that point, it's time to go to an import specialty shop...

Trapper John

Back