proof for how planes fly??

'Scuse me while I whip this out....

7fb77abe17233eccde262c70fecb6aeb.gif

Have to agree,you can show all the scientific equations you want,but money is what makes airplanes fly.

OK; thanks for the responses - this is similar to what I hear elsewhere. Let me try something new: Planes fly for the same physics as why boats float; buoyancy. By pushing air (or water) downwards equal to their own mass...

o_O :confused: Boats float when they are standing still. Airplanes and birds don't.
And you don't explain why birds can float through the air without money, but airplanes and boats need lots of money just to stand still. :p

speed boats rise upwards in the water when they pick up speed.

OK; thanks for the responses - this is similar to what I hear elsewhere. Let me try something new: Planes fly for the same physics as why boats float; buoyancy. By pushing air (or water) downwards equal to their own mass. Same as why birds fly. I haven't heard this anywhere else before, but no one has been able to disprove it. The great thing is that you could test this, just measure the amount of air that a plane pushes down. Planes take off when they're pushing enough air down to compensate for their weight.
I did a video on it: - "Buoyancy explains how planes fly" (in 4 minutes)

Didn't watch the video, but a boat floats due do displacement - no motion or acceleration required to float. Aircraft (and birds) accelerate air downwards as the air flows off the wing - motion and acceleration required. Two totally different effects.

The mass of air that needs to be accelerated downwards depends on how much you accelerate it. For the mass of air accelerated to equal the weight of the airplane then it would be accelerated at 32.2 ft/sec. squared (or 9.81 meters / sec. squared) and that would be a specific case - not the general case.

Sum of Forces = mass * acceleration. Just do the math.

At low speeds the mass flow rate of air flowing over the wing is lower so the acceleration of the air is higher (higher angle of attack, higher circulation), at high speeds the mass flowing over the wing is higher so the net acceleration of the air would be lower (lower angle of attack, lower circulation).

Last edited:
Can you prove that the voices you hear in your headset came through the air? :rolleyes: :D

Those fancy EM waves man... all wavy as heck. :)

Having said that, most of the popular "explanations" of how lift is generated fall somewhere between nonsense and crap. If the explanation invokes a curved surface on top and a flat surface on the bottom, then it is wrong.

ffdbc6db2490a434187b89b7793f2030.jpg

There is no simple explanation. There is no complete explanation that covers everything.
Man knew it was possible to fly, after observing birds do it.
The proof is planes do fly. Just ride in one and be amazed!
The plane's propeller makes the plane go forward. When it gets enough speed the wind hitting the wings make lift and the plane goes up in the air.
The plane is controlled in three dimensions with ailerons, rudder and elevator.
Stability comes from an up force on the wings and a downforce on the rear elevator.
There are also throttle, mixture and other engine controls that are manipulated by the pilot.
The pilot looks out the window and aims the plane where he wants it to go.
The plane lands by cutting all the power and coasting downhill and ending up touching down and stopping on a long runway.
Its fun!

Last edited:
... By pushing air (or water) downwards equal to their own mass. Same as why birds fly. I haven't heard this anywhere else before, but no one has been able to disprove it...

That's pretty much what Wolfgang Langewiesche said in his book, Stick and Rudder written back in 1944.

But hey, at least it's a tail dragger!

Out my way it's been snowing steadily for the past 24 hours and still coming down. When it finally stops I will have several hundred feet of driveway to plow. So although we will "enjoy" a white Christmas, that won't stop us from officially hating you for being able to put the top down on your drive to the airport. :D :cool:

I let my nephew drive us home from the hangar . . .

IMG_3593.jpg

Attachments

• 20161224_143324.jpg
    20161224_143324.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 6
IMG_3570.jpg
Out my way it's been snowing steadily for the past 24 hours and still coming down. When it finally stops I will have several hundred feet of driveway to plow. So although we will "enjoy" a white Christmas, that won't stop us from officially hating you for being able to put the top down on your drive to the airport. :D :cool:

And the flight.

That's an engineering method. The op specifically requested a scientific method.
I don't buy that distinction. Engineering is applied science. My experience as an engineer (now retired) was that whether I was successful in what I was trying to accomplish was directly affected by the extent to which I was willing to apply the scientific method.

I don't buy that distinction. Engineering is applied science. My experience as an engineer (now retired) was that whether I was successful in what I was trying to accomplish was directly affected by the extent to which I was willing to apply the scientific method.
It was a joke, jeez!

The book: “UNDERSTANDING FLIGHT” by Anderson & Eberhardt (2010) confirms the core ideas of the dynamic buoyancy argument. Cahpter 1:

“ ..... lift is generated by the wing diverting air down .....”

“...... the lift of a wing is proportional
to the amount of air diverted (down). “

“a Cessna 172 at cruise is diverting about five times
its own weight in air per second to produce lift.”

The book does NOT discuss BUOYANCY as a reason for flight.

The book claims that LIFT is caused by LOW AIR PRESSURE on the top of the wing due to the air being displaced down.

Does anyone know why planes fly? I counted 11 Theories of Flight and there doesn't seem to be any proof for any of these theories. Like a real experiment on a real aircraft using the scientific method?

All I get is equations (Navier-Stokes) when i ask an engineer or professor; which isn't what we're taught at flying school.

The official explanation of flight that pilots are taught is impossible and implausible. Even NASA thinks so (see "incorrect theories of flight?).

...planes don't really fly...all planes have a button...when pushed, the earth drops and you leave the ground...BUTTON IS READ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back