Project Pilot

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
Back in 2007 when I was learning to fly, AOPA had an initiative known as Project Pilot which matched up students in training with experienced pilots as mentors. Apparently, student pilots with mentors were found to be 3x more likely to earn their pilot certificates.

As I look for ways to try to give back to the aviation community, this was one that seemed like a great idea. Except, I don't think it exists anymore. The web site is down and I can't find any current mention of it on the AOPA site. Anyone know why/when this program was canceled? Are there any other organizations with similar initiatives looking for help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back in 2007 when I was learning to fly, AOPA had an initiative known as Project Pilot which matched up students in training with experienced pilots as mentors. Apparently, student pilots with mentors were found to be 3x more likely to earn to earn a pilot certificate. Anyone know why/when this program was canceled? Are there any other organizations with similar initiatives looking for help?
Marty,

While most everyone thought Project Pilot was a good idea, almost no one participated in the program and when pilots would volunteer to mentor a student, usually they quickly lost interest and didn't interact much with the student.

AOPA originally launched the program in about 1997. It didn't gain much momentum despite significant promotion. It seemed like such a good idea, so we relaunched it in about 2006, this time with more online resources and ways for students and mentors to interact electronically, but again lots of folks liked the idea but not much uptake.

I'm glad it worked for you. I'm not aware of any similar programs elsewhere. Perhaps your local flight school could hook you up with a local student.

Thanks for the response, Tom. Sorry to hear it didn't catch on. I guess I'll explore some other avenues to give back.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest problems with Project Pilot was that it took a great while for the mentor/mentoree relationship to develop. My experience was that while there were mentors available, we just did not meld very well as we had no real relationship outside of aviation. And, as a then-military aircrew member, I found that very few of the *potential* mentors shared my philosophy that flying should be viewed with an eye towards professionalism and not as a hobby.

One thing I never have understood though is why AOPA doesn't have local chapters like many other groups/organizations have. For example, within a matter of four meetings, I have developed several new mentors in another organizationI belong too (and hold a certificate from).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a CFI, it always seemed like an ill-conceived idea to me. The last thing I would want as a CFI is my student garnering bad habits and half-truths from non-CFI "mentors". Social clubs are ok, not "mentoring" by the unqualified.

dtuuri

As a CFI, it always seemed like an ill-conceived idea to me. The last thing I would want as a CFI is my student garnering bad habits and half-truths from non-CFI "mentors". Social clubs are ok, not "mentoring" by the unqualified.

dtuuri

My guess is that most students are going to seek out answers to questions that either they forgot to ask their instructor or are maybe embarrassed to ask. Many of those questions get asked and answered here. Others are done by Google search. What guarantee do you have that any of the answers received are correct? None whatsoever.

I understand that a CFI would like (in a perfect world) for all knowledge picked up by a student to come from them or resources they have approved. But I'll bet that in 99% of the cases, that's not how it goes. (And might argue that a broader set of opinions/views/resources could make for a more well-rounded student/pilot.) If the options to obtain "answers" to training questions that won't be asked of the instructor are fellow pilots and some kid with an internet connection, I'd think the pilots are more likely to give the correct information (or point the student in the right direction).

If the options to obtain "answers" to training questions that won't be asked of the instructor are fellow pilots and some kid with an internet connection, I'd think the pilots are more likely to give the correct information (or point the student in the right direction).

A "fellow pilot" is one thing, a "mentor pilot" conveys authority undeserved. Look what happened with AOPA's Air Safety Foundation. Gave themselves a title, published some stuff and the next thing you know they've got students all over the country cutting across traffic patterns at pattern altitude and citing their self-appointed authority as the basis for it! No, CFI's don't need "mentors" undermining their efforts. Next thing you know, they'll be descending on downwind and passing it on to their students. :sigh:

dtuuri

Last edited:
I wouldn't be a pilot were it not a friend of mine who acted (unwittingly) in a mentoring capacity. That said, it was a very organic relationship, and I doubt it would have worked had we already not been good friends.

A "fellow pilot" is one thing, a "mentor pilot" conveys authority undeserved. Look what happened with AOPA's Air Safety Foundation. Gave themselves a title, published some stuff and the next thing you know they've got students all over the country cutting across traffic patterns at pattern altitude and citing their self-appointed authority as the basis for it! No, CFI's don't need "mentors" undermining their efforts. Next thing you know, they'll be descending on downwind and passing it on to their students. :sigh:

Maybe CFIs aren't as perfect as you may think...

Maybe CFIs aren't as perfect as you may think...

Who says I think that? Certified, yes. Perfect? Nobody's perfect.

Perhaps CFI's are better qualified than you give them credit for...

dtuuri

Seems like hanging around the airport would provide ample opportunity to meet fellow pilots.

Who says I think that? Certified, yes. Perfect? Nobody's perfect.

Perhaps CFI's are better qualified than you give them credit for...

dtuuri

Perhaps CFIs are less qualified than you give them credit for...
(we can play this game all night)

If you can't tolerate or even take advantage of other folks talking to your student then perhaps you don't really know what you are doing.

(we can play this game all night)
Well, it's a "game" you created. You throw up a straw man by attributing to me something I don't believe, then you smash it. Yay. You won your game.

I quit.

dtuuri

Back