Probably in the wrong place. But can you help me out nonetheless?

TheDragon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
The Dragon
Hello, all.

my grandfather was an aviator for over 40 years. Building and Flying planes. Unfortunately, he passed this week. Leaving behind 2 planes that I have no ideas about. I’m wondering if it would be possible for me to post some photos and maybe get some thoughts on how to sell them, how much to sell them for, etc? Obviously, just rough estimates. But I truly have no clue what I’m dealing with.

I believe he has the wings, just not attached.

upload_2022-12-9_13-32-57.jpeg

Attachments

• 59EB795D-CC6B-4986-8755-5AED4ADD4C77.jpeg
    59EB795D-CC6B-4986-8755-5AED4ADD4C77.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 842DDBC4-EF75-4403-903C-C60C50C277AF.jpeg
    842DDBC4-EF75-4403-903C-C60C50C277AF.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 990B3264-7217-4606-8A47-4829E6D55ED1.jpeg
    990B3264-7217-4606-8A47-4829E6D55ED1.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 71
Log books and documentation are a very big deal. What do you have for paperwork?

Ask around at a local small airport for an independent A&P who can look at the airplane and offer some suggestions.

You may be disappointed.

The pictures you posted seem to be a metalized Stinson 108. The value will vary hugely depending on completeness, condition, and paperwork. Could be worth $5k -$50k, depending.

Log books and documentation are a very big deal. What do you have for paperwork?

Ask around at a local small airport for an independent A&P who can look at the airplane and offer some suggestions.

You may be disappointed.

I think it’s either a Sky Ranger or a Zodiac. Does that help?

maybe get some thoughts on how to sell them
Look on the main portion of the aircraft for a small metal plate (approx 3"x5") that should have information stamped on it. Also look for a couple pieces of paper called a registration certificate and an airworthiness certificate. Depending on what you find will help determine which direction to take.

That looks like a Stinson Voyager. You might create a log in at their forums and find some help there. Fun airplanes with near cult following.

https://stinsonowners.org/forum/

You could also try homebuiltairplanes.com.

The Stinsons aren’t really homebuilt, but it’s old enough that a lot of the homebuilt guys will be familiar with a rebuild/restore.

And yeah, where ya located?

I’m in Cacapon/Berkeley Springs, WV. The Eastern Panhandle of WV.

also, you guys have been unbelievably helpful. Thank you for any help, genuinely.

As others have said, the plane in the pictures is a Stinson 108, which is a commercially produced plane from the late 1940s. Post some pictures of the other.

Having the paperwork is huge, could be half the value of the plane(s) if missing. The registration and airworthiness certificates are usually kept in the plane, you should also have aircraft and engine logbooks for both planes. If the planes weren't registered to your grandfather, you will also need to find a bill of sale from the person he bought it from, to establish the chain of ownership from the last registered owner.

Look on the main portion of the aircraft for a small metal plate (approx 3"x5") that should have information stamped on it. Also look for a couple pieces of paper called a registration certificate and an airworthiness certificate. Depending on what you find will help determine which direction to take.

I can’t find the little stamp for some reason. Is this any help?

Attachments

• D5D79263-1713-4EE3-A4FA-36EDBD378210.jpeg
    D5D79263-1713-4EE3-A4FA-36EDBD378210.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 66
I can’t find the little stamp for some reason. Is this any help?
https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberInquiry

Deregistered Aircraft 1 of 1
Aircraft Description

Serial Number 108-4694 Certificate Issue Date None
Manufacturer Name STINSON Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 52154230
Model 108-3 Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) A8D898
Year Manufacturer 1949 Cancel Date 01/11/2022
Reason For Cancellation Expiration
Type Registration Individual

Aircraft Registration Prior to Deregistration
Name SALE REPORTED

Street 1220 MEADOWBROOK RD

City SPARTANBURG

State SOUTH CAROLINA Zip Code 29307-3455
Country UNITED STATES

Deregistered Airworthiness
Engine Manufacturer FRANKLIN Classification Standard
Engine Model 6A4165 SERIES Category
A/W Date
Exception Code No

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberInquiry

Deregistered Aircraft 1 of 1
Aircraft Description

Serial Number 108-4694 Certificate Issue Date None
Manufacturer Name STINSON Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 52154230
Model 108-3 Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) A8D898
Year Manufacturer 1949 Cancel Date 01/11/2022
Reason For Cancellation Expiration
Type Registration Individual

Aircraft Registration Prior to Deregistration
Name SALE REPORTED

Street 1220 MEADOWBROOK RD

City SPARTANBURG

State SOUTH CAROLINA Zip Code 29307-3455
Country UNITED STATES

Deregistered Airworthiness
Engine Manufacturer FRANKLIN Classification Standard
Engine Model 6A4165 SERIES Category
A/W Date
Exception Code No

if I’m reading that right, it’s been sold, but the sale didn’t go through?

I heard him talk about how he sold one of his planes, but the person who bought never came to get it.

I can’t find the little stamp for some reason.
In the meantime see if you can locate the following certificates from the examples below. The data plate I mentioned is no longer important.
upload_2022-12-9_15-54-49.jpeg

wVzEH.jpg

Yes. That is the FAA registration number. However, it appears that it has expired and is now cancelled which can be a problem down the road. Below is a link to the FAA page that shows that registration number. It has some personal info on it which I won't posted but you can read it. What about the second aircraft you mentioned?
https://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInquiry/Search/NNumberResult?nNumberTxt=6694m

I think the other plane is currently in a hangar at the airport he flies out of. I probably shouldn’t have even mentioned it, tbh. Since I don’t have any info on that at all.

I think the other plane is currently in a hangar at the airport he flies out of. I probably shouldn’t have even mentioned it, tbh. Since I don’t have any info on that at all.
Well, given he recently passed and there's the possibility he sold this plane you aren't going to be able to do anything with either aircraft until his estate is legally settled. Wish I could offer more. Check back if you have any other questions.

Well, given he recently passed and there's the possibility he sold this plane you aren't going to be able to do anything with either aircraft until his estate is legally settled. Wish I could offer more. Check back if you have any other questions.

I just found the registration and the bill of sale. So I know how much it’s worth now. Now I just have to figure out if that sale is actually cancelled or what I have to do get the individual to come get it.

(sold for 5K, if anyone was wondering.)

possible I revive this thread when I get to his other plane lol. You have all been incredibly helpful. Thank you.

The airworthiness certificate is easily replaceable. The tougher one is finding a bill of sale or something that allows you to convey this as a registerable airplane to someone else.

It will look like this (probably on a multipart form about 4x6" in the days this thing was likely sold last):
upload_2022-12-9_17-12-3.png

I just found the registration and the bill of sale. So I know how much it’s worth now. Now I just have to figure out if that sale is actually cancelled or what I have to do get the individual to come get it.

(sold for 5K, if anyone was wondering.)

possible I revive this thread when I get to his other plane lol. You have all been incredibly helpful. Thank you.
Did the buyer transfer the money?
Did he rent hangar space or pay storage (or whatever) since he didn’t pick it up?
You should probably talk to the executor of the estate. Way too much stuff to know before taking any action

btw, a bill of sale quite often does not reflect an airplane’s value. Some may say it almost never does.

Back