Private Runway

split

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
split
For planes Cessna 182 size or smaller, what would you say is the safe minimum clearance around a private runway?
How about for Light Sport planes only?

The issue is that there are sporadic trees on either side of the runway. Would 50 feet clearance on either side from center of the runway be sufficient?

The Runway runs North to South....wind if any, is from the west.

What's a sporadic tree? Anything like a spastic tree? :lol:

Nah just joking. I think the length of the field would be more important. Especially if there's trees below the approach path. 50' clearance on each side of the runway? Should be plenty clearance.

:yikes: should be sporty!

Indeed. A length of 1200 feet might not be enough to get out on warm days, even with a light load of humans/fuel/bags. Especially if turf.

If the OP is asking about clearance perpendicular to the centerline, sooo much depends on skill of the pilots. But for general discussion, I'd proffer at least 250-300 feet to either side would provide ample clearance. I'm sorta thinking that's what Gaston's has and that's plenty.

For planes Cessna 182 size or smaller, what would you say is the safe minimum clearance around a private runway?

The issue is that there are sporadic trees on either side of the runway. Would 50 feet clearance on either side from center of the runway be sufficient?

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. But from the way I read it, it sounds like you are asking about runway dimensions. Whether it is or somehting else like forest and trees surrounding it, once you get past the airplane's performance capability requirements, it depends more on your skill and comfort than anything else.

Take a look at W16, First Air Field in Washington State. Runway is 2000' long X 34' wide. Landed there in a 172 in 2004. No big deal. The length was "normal" to me since I had done my instrument training out of the 1800' X 50' runway at 7B9 in Connecticut although the sight of airplanes parked with their noses not 5' from the edge of the runway was a bit disconcerting at first glance.

1200 feet is pushing it. Maybe on the days when you're light, on the top of your game, and there are no obstructions on either end. I operate a 182 on 2400 feet of turf. There's probably 150 feet clearance on each side. On most days, I can easily use only half the runway length. But if that's all you have, there is no safety margin.

Whether 1200' is long enough depends on which model of 182 you own.

My light straight tail...no problem.

A late model heavy hog...problem.

I fly into short grass strips regularly (1000' to 1600') and even on hot days it's not an issue. But these strips are dead flat with flat/clear approaches on both ends.

Can you keep your plane on the center line of a paved runway? Even with a pretty stiff cross wind? If so a 100' width should't be a problem at all.

Length 1200 feet

I just did some measuring on google earth of some strips I've flown my 182 into. Most of the strips I've flown into were about 100 across, from branch to branch of the trees lining either side. One strip I landed in Canada was considerably narrower-about 65 feet wide for about half the length. The wingspan is 36 feet so plan according and stay down the middle.

1,200 ft is short for a stock gross weight 182. I hope you have some engine or STOL upgrades (or both!), or are at least light and/or cold.

Sure you could probably do it, just make sure BOTH plane and pilot can preform to the limit of the POH numbers.

We're talking superb control and feel for the aircraft, black and white abort points chosen, etc.

I find 60 feet total between the trees to be plenty wide - at least for a little taildragger.

I have visited grass strips that are nominally 75' wide mower area. One for sure has about 15' more clear before the trees start. If you can't land in a 100' width, please don't try to do so on just 1200' of length!

I have visited grass strips that are nominally 75' wide mower area. One for sure has about 15' more clear before the trees start. If you can't land in a 100' width, please don't try to do so on just 1200' of length!

Great advice....:thumbsup:

I do have another option. I can align the runway east to west and it would be greater than 1400 feet and less width issues. ....but while the north to south alignment is level, the West to East is up hill with a linear rise of 160 feet.

Most have focused on a 182, but as mentioned, it may be a light sport.
Say a Flight Designs CTSW or CTLS. Actually, its more likely to be a light sport than a 182.

I have remeasured the north to south alignment, adding margin for trees at either end, its only 1000 feet. So perhaps that alignment is not practical?

Last edited:
I do have another option. I can align the runway east to west and it would be greater than 1400 feet and less width issues. ....but while the north to south alignment is level, the West to East is up hill with a linear rise of 160 feet.

Most have focused on a 182, but as mentioned, it may be a light sport.
Say a Flight Designs CTSW or CTLS. Actually, its more likely to be a light sport than a 182.

I have remeasured the north to south alignment, adding margin for trees at either end, its only 1000 feet. So perhaps that alignment is not practical?

160 feet in 1400 feet will make it a one way in /one way out runway...
That is a damn steep runway..

I made my own 1400' strip about 15 years ago...ever hear of an earth mover? If I hadn't used one, I would have had a slope too...

That belongs to a friend of mine. Its less than 700ft now with erosion. There also a dog leg in the middle :eek: he hasn't been able to talk me into trying it. :nonod:

Was the rest of it an airport at one time? Looks like a couple of longer runways, maybe paved at one time?

Was the rest of it an airport at one time? Looks like a couple of longer runways, maybe paved at one time?

No its all beach sand. He laid down long wire mats nailed in with long pins, otherwise you wouldnt be able to taxi on it. Keeps getting beat up with nor'east winter storms

I made my own 1400' strip about 15 years ago...ever hear of an earth mover? If I hadn't used one, I would have had a slope too...
No way to remove the 160ft rise....its the side of a mountain....
160ft on paper sounds steep, but when I'm there its does not seem bad.

We've got a 172 that operates on 2600' x 35' with powerlines at each threshold. Works fine for just about everything but high summertime temps and max gross operation gets a little sporty on takeoff.

I've never had a problem with narrow runways, there is a crop duster strip nearby that I use quite a bit at 24' wide but I've always enjoyed crosswind approaches, that teaches you to maintain centerline pretty well if you do it enough.

We've got a 172 that operates on 2600' x 35' with powerlines at each threshold. Works fine for just about everything but high summertime temps and max gross operation gets a little sporty on takeoff.

I've never had a problem with narrow runways, there is a crop duster strip nearby that I use quite a bit at 24' wide but I've always enjoyed crosswind approaches, that teaches you to maintain centerline pretty well if you do it enough.

2500x35 isn't anything scary.

I learned how to fly at a field of about the same length, trees and power lines, paved with a matching grass strip, worked fine for student pilots in 172/152/LSAs/182/cardinals, and non students in everything from C208Bs to Bo and glasairs

No its all beach sand. He laid down long wire mats nailed in with long pins, otherwise you wouldnt be able to taxi on it. Keeps getting beat up with nor'east winter storms

I was surprised at just how hard wet beach sand is, bacically like a hard surface runway, now dry beach sand that's another animal

I was surprised at just how hard wet beach sand is, bacically like a hard surface runway, now dry beach sand that's another animal

I landed on dry beach sand once...once! (no joke). From touch down to stopped was about 10 feet! I thought for sure I had ripped the under carriage off. Took me about an hour to move the plane over to the wet sand, and then the only problem on take off was staying on the 5-foot-narrow strip of wet sand along the beach. It was like taking off on a sidewalk.

It surely looks like Cuttyhunk. I note that the sectional doesn't show the airport, just a seaplane base. Do you know why this is?

Its just a private airstrip. There used to be a seaplane operator there. He left by way of high fuel prices.

Back