Private Pilot Single Engine Land

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
I passed!!!!!!!!

Took the Oral last evening. That went really well. The DPE said he was really impressed at how prepared I was. I told him that I spend a lot of time on the internet. I really think the time I have spent at POA increased my knowledge signifigantly. I almost think POA membership should be mandatory for student pilots ;).

The practical went ok. I forgot to lean for taxi (airport elevation is 5600'). Runup went well, and I didn' blow any radio calls. First takeoff was a soft field, which went really well. We started on our X-Country, but I had trouble finding my first checkpoint. I finally saw it just as we passed over it. We were right on time, so he then had me divert. My divert field was a small private unsurfaced strip (at least on the chart). I used pilotage to locate landmarks (two big towers that were very close to the field). We never actually found the field (he had me circle, and even he couldn't find it.) My guess is that is in a farmers field, and hasn't been used this year.

Next we went into slow flight. That went well, held heading and altitude just like I was supposed to. Next was a power off landing stall. I performed the manuver just like I was taught; set up normal glide with full flaps, pull back to AOA that induces stall, reduce AOA and increase power, reduce flaps immediatly to 10 deg, then bleed remaining flaps out when Vy and a climb is established. Well, I guess I was taught wrong, as the DPE said that I should only bring the flaps to 20 deg, then bleed them off from there.

Then we did steep turns, had a little trouble holding altitude on the turn to the left, but did not bust the manuever. Then we had an engine failure. I handled this well (probably the best I have ever done) and picked my field, made my traffic pattern and got lined up on final at perfect altitude and glide slope. A quick go around, this time only bringing flaps to 20 deg as instructed, and it was on the turns around a point.

Like the simulated engine out, my turn around a point was as good as I have ever done. He was pretty satisfied, so we went back to the airport for the landings.

I started my initial call up without getting ATIS. I quickly realized my mistake, and told tower I would be right back after I got ATIS. The DPE laughed and patted me on the shoulder. After getting ATIS and calling tower, we were cleared for Touch and Go's. The first landing was supposed to be a soft field. I came in a little fast, and wasn't going to touch down where he wanted. He asked for a go around. The next landing was to be a soft field also. I blew it and let the nose wheel touch. He said he would consider that to be our normal landing and to make the next one a short field. Came in on the short field and landed ok, and came to a stop. Next takeoff was a short field, which went well. The last landing was a no flaps - slip to land- that he wanted to end in a soft field. I was a little skeptical that I could pull it of, but it actually went well. Slipped on final to intercept the glide slope, flared and put in just the right amount of power and made a good soft field landing. He then took the plane and showed me how he flies the pattern at 70kts instead of the 90-100 that I was (on downwind). He made a power off 180 landing, slipping in on base to final, then on short final dumped in 30 deg of flaps and made a perfect soft field touchdown.

He that said that as long I could taxi us back to parking without hitting anything, that I was a private pilot!!!!

It has been quite a journey to get to this point. I know that I still have A LOT to learn. Now I just need to save money for the IFR....

Thanks to all the POA'ers for sharing your knowledge and helping me ace the oral test!!!!

Tony, Congratulations on the new green card! Keep on learning.

Ummmm - Tony: you need to change your biography in User CP!

Congratulations to a very small club!

Congradulations!!! Excellent job,.. learning is now just beginning a new chapter...

Bravo Zulu, job well-done. Go forth and aviate!

WAY to GO!!!

Congratulations! :cheerswine::cheerswine:

Terry
PPL
IR

So, I took my first passengers up today. Actually it was also my first flight with my Airmens Cert (Temp). My business partner and his wife were visiting friends in Windsor Colorado. I figured they could drive down to Broomfield (BJC) (about 30nm as the 172 flies). He was worried that it would take too long to drive down, then have to drive back to Windor to pick up his kids, then drive the 3 hours home. Bright idea, I figured it would only take me 20-25min to fly to Fort Collins, Loveland (FNL) and pick them up. FNL is only a 5-10 min drive from where they were staying vs. the 45 min drive down to BJC.

It was very cool to taxi up to the FBO at FNL and meet my passengers. We went up for a little bit, and even flew over Ginger's (my biz partners wife) parents house. This was Mike's (biz partner) first time up in a small plane. He was a little nervous at first, but ended up having a good time. He really enjoyed the perspective that flying low and slow gives you. Ginger is actually a Private Pilot also, but WAY out of currency. I let her fly straight and level for a bit. I think that after this flight she will seek to get current again.

Next planned flight is a x-country to Sidney, NE in early October for the $100 hamburger, probably be an elk burger as we plan to go to Cabelas (They have a free shuttle from SNY!!)

Thanks for all the encouragement !!!!

Back