Private Pilot Practical Test

iWantWings

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wingsIwant
I'm so glad I passed it!

Sure, it's only a "license to learn", but it's nice to get to this milestone.

So in 38 weeks I averaged about 1.45 hrs per week for a total of 55 hours. All of that for about $10,000. I might take the time and create a matrix from the logbook and see in how many ways I can rehash the same data.

The Oral
The oral portion of the test went well. No surprise topic or questions but only the stuff listed in the PTS: aircraft logs, personal logs, special area emphsys and all of it in the form of "scenarios". The DPE also discussed NTSB reports and what could be learned from them - that was very interesting. It became evident that the DPE was placing special emphasis on "things" that get pilots (and not just pilots) killed while doing the PIC-thing. No-nonesense and it was much welcomed. I knew this was supposed to be an evaluation and not a "let me teach you this", but I ended learning quite a bit of stuff.

Also very useful were the DPE's questions on the maneuvers I would be asked to perform - that was like a mental preparation for the actual flight for me. Cool.

The Flight
Kudos to my instructor for running a dry-run flight the day before the checkride that very closely matched what the DPE had me do for the checkride itself.

The standard maneuvers, as listed in the PTS - all went well. Special emphays was placed on emergency procedures: DPE continued the power-off approach until she was certain the chosen landing area would be made (and with a guess that there would be available space to stop before smaking anything hard).

The Days prior to the Checkride
The days prior to the checkride I was giving myself only a 50/50 chance of completing it in the first try. Either because of something that DPE might consider to make the plane unairworthy, or something I would not know on the oral, or total screw up of something during the flight. The night before I went to sleep at nearly 3:00AM, trying to finish my Nav Log and decode all the various weather text from DUATS. Talk about poor planning and time management! Despite more than one instructor having told me that I was ready for the checkride, I just couldn't "see it" - there were too many things I knew I didn't know well enough. And than there is the story of my "favorite" rental C172 going out of service for weeks, just a few days prior to the checkride! But that's a different story and I wrote too much already.

So my fears and conerns faded as the test progressed and was kind of caught off-guard when DPE asked me to make a full-stop landing saying "if you don't make a mistake while taxing, you have just passed your checkride".

Corny as it sounds, for me that was a dream come true :D

Edit: there are a lot of people who helped me with this - CFIs, DPE and forums like POA and AOPA. All good stuff and am very thankful for all the help - I know I needed it and still do. Thank you!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Now it's time have even more fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Congrats!!! It's really encouraging to read stories like this the closer I get to my checkride. :)

Now go fly!

Congratulations! Now it's time have even more fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you! I see myslef enjoying the future flights more than I did in training - not that training was always a chore.

And best of all, I will be able to take passengers (with the added responsability, etc.).

My intent is to never get near max gross weight, but I do wonder what the plane will perform and feel like when fully fueled with 3 "normal-sized" adults.

Congrats. I don't sleep well before checkrides either.

LOL - I had a hard time sleeping the night after the checkride. Then after I woke up this morning I had totally forgotten about yesterday's checkride ... until I saw my flight bag. And now I keep smiling like a fool for no reason ahe ahe ahe

Congratulations. Now you need to take "Student" off your signature line!

A C-172 feels quite a bit different with 3 up and full fuel, especially if the 3 are "average" American-sized adults. Be careful not to get too heavy. A lot of people get hurt that way, especially if the weather is hot and humid.

Now go out and enjoy yourself flying!

Congrats!!! It's really encouraging to read stories like this the closer I get to my checkride. :)

Now go fly!

Thank you! I used to meet people at the flight school that were ready to take their checkride. I tried to see myself at that point and there was no way I could. There was a time during training when, although I was progressing, I just saw no end to it. It all accelerated after I completed my cross countries.

Good job to you on getting close to your checkride; it sure must feel well knowing that you will get to complete what you started. Keep us posted!

A C-172 feels quite a bit different with 3 up and full fuel, especially if the 3 are "average" American-sized adults. Be careful not to get too heavy. A lot of people get hurt that way, especially if the weather is hot and humid.

Good, safe advice regarding weight.

The weight of the 3 adults would be under 450lbs but with 40 gallons of fuel it skyrockets to 690 lbs. The school I rent from as an 172 model N with a 180 horsepower engine upgrade - I will have to carefully check the weight (and balance) on that plane. It would probably be the only candidate for such a flight for me (all other conditions permitting). Fun things to look forward to though.

Oh, i updated the sig - thanks

Congrats!!! I remember when I (finally) passed my private. Best feeling in the world knowing I could take people on a plane ride, with me as the pilot! How many people get to do that? Welcome to the club!!!

My intent is to never get near max gross weight, but I do wonder what the plane will perform and feel like when fully fueled with 3 "normal-sized" adults.
It will definitely feel more sluggish. Takeoff roll will be slower and longer, and climb rate will definitely be less. As long as you are sure your performance calculations are right, there really shouldn't be any surprises. The downside of the calculations is that they don't account for every variable. Things like the engine efficiency will decrease as it get's older, so the actual aircraft won't always perform as well as the book says it will. I recommend not going all-in and taking off heavy right away, when you aren't used to it. Just work your way up to it, flying with more weight every once in a while. This will let you get a feel for how the aircraft handles as it get's heavier.

Congrats!!! I remember when I (finally) passed my private. Best feeling in the world knowing I could take people on a plane ride, with me as the pilot! How many people get to do that? Welcome to the club!!!

It will definitely feel more sluggish. Takeoff roll will be slower and longer, and climb rate will definitely be less. As long as you are sure your performance calculations are right, there really shouldn't be any surprises. The downside of the calculations is that they don't account for every variable. Things like the engine efficiency will decrease as it get's older, so the actual aircraft won't always perform as well as the book says it will. I recommend not going all-in and taking off heavy right away, when you aren't used to it. Just work your way up to it, flying with more weight every once in a while. This will let you get a feel for how the aircraft handles as it get's heavier.

The things you mentioned regarding weight are all reminders of what I have read (but never experienced) - including taking into account other factors not mentioned in the POH (primarily the "nut" behind the yoke).

Working my way up to is great advice and I sort of have a plan for that.

My first "3 souls on board" flight will be with a CFI while also getting some instructions on flying at high altitude airport (L35, about 6,700 MSL) - assuming, of course, that all factors and conditions allow for such a training flight. It would well be worth it and, among other things, I will finally get to "feel" what you descried. Thanks!

Congrats. What are your plans now?

Doug

Thanks!

1. Increase my proficiency, get better a flying, by... flying.
  2. I've done enough short, near-airport flights during training so these would have to be cross country flights.
  3. Get to know people who like flying - pilots and non-pilots alike.
  4. Learn about aircraft maintenance, the systems, etc. beyond the very basics that I know now.
  5. Get checked out at the local flight school in a G-1000 (or G-300) equiped Cessna 172 (or Skycatcher for G300).
  6. The most difficult of all: find a way to pay for it.
I have 0 interest in any other endorsements or ratings at the moment. That's all i can think of now - things always change.

Unless you fly everywhere solo, you'll get to max gross in a 172 fairly easily.

There is a very noticeable difference, not unlike the reverse of your first solo (remember when the aircraft practically jumped off the runway without your instructor?).

I wouldn't worry TOO much about it, provided you take some precautions. Identify a go/no-go point on the runway. If you have a long runway, require yourself to be at 50 feet by the "book" location plus a SMALL margin or you abort. If not, require the usual 70% of liftoff speed at 50% of runway length. Think about what you'll do if you hear the stall warning (hint: NOSE DOWN, like a soft field takeoff). Do not skip the W&B calculation. I would suggest trying this at an airfield without obstructions and with a long runway the first time. For a 172, long doesn't have to mean really long; they operate very comfortably out of 2000 foot fields at sea level; you can double that.

Just about everyone loads in all the buddies for their first flight as a private pilot.

I took my PP ride with the DPE in the front seat and my CFI in the back at the DPE's invitation. Sure glad I had run a W&B with that possibility just for chuckles and grins (love that spreadsheet).

Good, safe advice regarding weight.

The weight of the 3 adults would be under 450lbs but with 40 gallons of fuel it skyrockets to 690 lbs. The school I rent from as an 172 model N with a 180 horsepower engine upgrade - I will have to carefully check the weight (and balance) on that plane. It would probably be the only candidate for such a flight for me (all other conditions permitting). Fun things to look forward to though.

Oh, i updated the sig - thanks

The 180 hp upgrade (Penn Yan, anyway) also limits the flaps to 30 degrees. Adds 250 pounds to the max gross of the plane. Check your numbers, but our club's 172N with the upgrade and full long range (50 gal) tanks can carry 755 pounds in the cabin. That's more than our 182 with full tanks by about 100 pounds. That upgrade is well worth doing to a 172. Have fun!

Oh, and congratulations on passing the PP ride. As you noted, you now have a license to learn. Go exercise it and have fun.

Almost every 172 has a useful weight well over 690 lb.

With 180 HP, it's often above 1000 lb. The 150 and 160 HP versions are usually around 800 lb. Of course that includes fuel. Not sure about the older 145 HP versions.

You'll find exceptions. Every doodad in the instrument panel costs weight.

Congrats! Mine took about twice as long as yours did and cost about twice as much. That does not include the gas for my car (it was about 1.5 hour drive, roundtrip, or more if during rush hour).

I could not take my very first flight for about 2 weeks after the checkride (unless you count my solo back to my flight school as my first flight).

When is your first flight and who will you take?

Unless you fly everywhere solo, you'll get to max gross in a 172 fairly easily.

There is a very noticeable difference, not unlike the reverse of your first solo (remember when the aircraft practically jumped off the runway without your instructor?).

I wouldn't worry TOO much about it, provided you take some precautions. Identify a go/no-go point on the runway. If you have a long runway, require yourself to be at 50 feet by the "book" location plus a SMALL margin or you abort. If not, require the usual 70% of liftoff speed at 50% of runway length. Think about what you'll do if you hear the stall warning (hint: NOSE DOWN, like a soft field takeoff). Do not skip the W&B calculation. I would suggest trying this at an airfield without obstructions and with a long runway the first time. For a 172, long doesn't have to mean really long; they operate very comfortably out of 2000 foot fields at sea level; you can double that.

Just about everyone loads in all the buddies for their first flight as a private pilot.

All very, very good advice - thank you for that. In particular having a pre-determined point on the runway at which I must evaluate the indicated speed the airplane is at while rolling for takeoff seems very good. (that would also be very useful whenver density altitude is a factor).

Will do it by the book with reasonable of padding due to the "I-factor" and the older trainer plane.

I expect it will be safe and fun ;)

I took my PP ride with the DPE in the front seat and my CFI in the back at the DPE's invitation. Sure glad I had run a W&B with that possibility just for chuckles and grins (love that spreadsheet).

The 180 hp upgrade (Penn Yan, anyway) also limits the flaps to 30 degrees. Adds 250 pounds to the max gross of the plane. Check your numbers, but our club's 172N with the upgrade and full long range (50 gal) tanks can carry 755 pounds in the cabin. That's more than our 182 with full tanks by about 100 pounds. That upgrade is well worth doing to a 172. Have fun!

Oh, and congratulations on passing the PP ride. As you noted, you now have a license to learn. Go exercise it and have fun.

Thank you!

Had you flown at that weight and balance any time before the checkride with the DPE? Although I think there was no drastic difference, the added weight and shift of balance aft certrainly must have had a noticeable impact on the maneuvers? Maybe not so much for ground reference, but performance maneuvers? Great job to you for getting that done :)

The 180 upgrade that I've flown twice, i noticed the following
- unusually smooth and quiet; lack of high-pitch "nervous" buzz.
- the left turning tendency is way more pronounced from the takeoff roll to power on stalls
- have not flown it while solo, but it climbs!!
- that particular plane had a digital engine tach which I didn't care much for - it was difficult to see.

I will check the weight and balance and all factors related to it for that parcular plane; it will be the one i use for a flight of 3 on board. Should be fun.

Almost every 172 has a useful weight well over 690 lb.

With 180 HP, it's often above 1000 lb. The 150 and 160 HP versions are usually around 800 lb. Of course that includes fuel. Not sure about the older 145 HP versions.

You'll find exceptions. Every doodad in the instrument panel costs weight.

The plane I flew for the checkride had its wheel covers removed and I got to see on the weight and balance sheet how that effected the empty weight of the airplane as well as the CG location of the plane in its standard empty weight. Interesting... and I like it how everything was recorded in so much detail, even though the weight was reduced by something like 14 lbs.

I got to see that 5 mintues before I departed to the airport where I had the checkride - wish I had looked at that during the actual training.

Congrats! Mine took about twice as long as yours did and cost about twice as much. That does not include the gas for my car (it was about 1.5 hour drive, roundtrip, or more if during rush hour).

I could not take my very first flight for about 2 weeks after the checkride (unless you count my solo back to my flight school as my first flight).

When is your first flight and who will you take?

Danke schoen!

I am glad when I read that you find ways to fly even after having spent so much on flight training! Good for you though - that money will be gone one way or another, but if you do it right, the flying gig will be with you for a long, long time.

Like you, my first PIC with a PP certificate was on the very short flight from the aiport where the checkride started to my local airport. After that I have not flown... for a reason that would open up a can of worms.

Who would I take on my first flight.... hmmm.
1.) My wife. But I tought she was mostly kidding when she said she would not fly with me, or with anyone else in a small plane. Turns out she wasn't kidding. I need to work on this, very carefully.
2.) My 8 year old daughter. :) Makes me laugh thinking about it because I frankly don't know how she will react. She will say yes, but she might freak out when she gets in the plane.
3.) My younger son is too young to be by himself. I'd have to strap him down with duc tape - he would pull on every knob and lever and tear the plane apart in flight.

I do have friends who asked me if I can take them flying, they are enthusiastic, so they will likely be the first to go up with me. We shall see :)

Danke schoen!

I am glad when I read that you find ways to fly even after having spent so much on flight training! Good for you though - that money will be gone one way or another, but if you do it right, the flying gig will be with you for a long, long time.

Like you, my first PIC with a PP certificate was on the very short flight from the aiport where the checkride started to my local airport. After that I have not flown... for a reason that would open up a can of worms.

1.) My wife. But I tought she was mostly kidding when she said she would not fly with me, or with anyone else in a small plane. Turns out she wasn't kidding. I need to work on this, very carefully.
2.) My 8 year old daughter. :) Makes me laugh thinking about it because I frankly don't know how she will react. She will say yes, but she might freak out when she gets in the plane.
3.) My younger son is too young to be by himself. I'd have to strap him down with duc tape - he would pull on every knob and lever and tear the plane apart in flight.

I do have friends who asked me if I can take them flying, they are enthusiastic, so they will likely be the first to go up with me. We shall see :)

All my "once enthusiastic" friends were "busy" strangely after my PP. Nobody wanted to be the very first passenger!

Looking back that seems hilarious since not ONCE have I been alone during a flight. I think I did three night take offs and landings a long time ago, by myself, but that was it. Another time I was going to fly solo, but I drove by my friend's hangar at the airport, and he was around, so I invited him up for a pattern lap.

Just took a POA member up for a sunset flight on Tuesday. And now I have a new friend who is at the CFI checkride stage who enjoys going up with me to practice making notes on everything I do wrong. Which is always fun - and great to have a "CFI for free" sit next to you.

Thank you!

Had you flown at that weight and balance any time before the checkride with the DPE? Although I think there was no drastic difference, the added weight and shift of balance aft certrainly must have had a noticeable impact on the maneuvers? Maybe not so much for ground reference, but performance maneuvers? Great job to you for getting that done :)

The 180 upgrade that I've flown twice, i noticed the following
- unusually smooth and quiet; lack of high-pitch "nervous" buzz.
- the left turning tendency is way more pronounced from the takeoff roll to power on stalls
- have not flown it while solo, but it climbs!!
- that particular plane had a digital engine tach which I didn't care much for - it was difficult to see.

I will check the weight and balance and all factors related to it for that parcular plane; it will be the one i use for a flight of 3 on board. Should be fun.

I had flown with a third person in the plane while a student. My CFI and I I took an extended flight to a few airports in the area with my wife in the back seat, so I had experienced flight with more than just the two of us aboard.

That left turning tendency is annoying. You will find it very annoying when you start flying on instruments. I find that plane starts wandering off to the left on its own and I have to corral it and get back on course. Not so bad during cruise, but really annoying on an ILS.

Oh, and practice stalls in more than just straigh ahead flight. The first time I had to do one while turning was on my check ride. Fortunately, she didn't specify a direction. The plane liked to drop a wing, so I turned away from that wing, let it drop to level in the stall and caught it with the rudder before completing the recovery. Heck of thing to experiment with on the check ride, however. Go do this with your CFI first just in case the DPE wants something different.

I'd suggest your daughter. If you think she can't be trusted around the controls, use a 172 and put her in the back seat. You will need to tread very lightly with your wife. Perfect CAVU day, utterly still air (consider early morning) and really, really smooth flying. IF you can get her in there to begin with.

For your younger son, if you don't trust him to keep his paws off the controls, he MUST be in the back seat. Unelss you can adjust the front seat far enough back that he can't reach (seems doubtful). Maybe with another adult to handle him. Or your daughter if she's capable of that.

I don't know where you're located, but maybe you can persuade a couple of POAers or maybe student pilots in your flight school to be "ballast" so you can try out the loaded performance, and not scare your wife as she senses surprise from you.

Last edited:
Congratulations!
Now have fun, and keep on learning.
I couldn't sleep the night before my checkride either. After the checkride I drove home, pulled up in my yard, turned off the car's ignition and fell asleep right there...with my seatbelt fastened and my sunglasses on. For 4 hours.

[...]

Oh, and practice stalls in more than just straigh ahead flight. The first time I had to do one while turning was on my check ride. Fortunately, she didn't specify a direction. The plane liked to drop a wing, so I turned away from that wing, let it drop to level in the stall and caught it with the rudder before completing the recovery. Heck of thing to experiment with on the check ride, however. Go do this with your CFI first just in case the DPE wants something different.

I always wondered why during training no one has ever asked me to do a turning stall. I mean, i keep reading and hearing that they are more likely to occur at lower speeds and while increasing the load factor (like on a overshot base to final turn), yet we always practiced the straight and evel stalls.

Even more importantly, I would have liked to practice stalls where I enter a turn/bank oncoordinated, in a skid, where I am leading the turn with the rudder (to avoid a steeper bank) which, I've read, is what some pilots incorrectly do trying to re-aling the plane on final. And those stalls usually lead to spins, at low alttitude.

Anyhow, whenver I aked my CFIs to do an incipient spins, they were reluctant ("the instruments wil tumble"). So might look for a place, local, that has the planes suited for that.

I'd suggest your daughter. If you think she can't be trusted around the controls, use a 172 and put her in the back seat. You will need to tread very lightly with your wife. Perfect CAVU day, utterly still air (consider early morning) and really, really smooth flying. IF you can get her in there to begin with.

For your younger son, if you don't trust him to keep his paws off the controls, he MUST be in the back seat. Unelss you can adjust the front seat far enough back that he can't reach (seems doubtful). Maybe with another adult to handle him. Or your daughter if she's capable of that.

I don't know where you're located, but maybe you can persuade a couple of POAers or maybe student pilots in your flight school to be "ballast" so you can try out the loaded performance, and not scare your wife as she senses surprise from you.

As you recommended, I'll take it easy. Dont' wanna rush it, especially with my wife. It would be a surprise flight, in perfect contidions and not more than 30 minutes. My daughter I trust, my son will be 2 years old shortly, so he would only go with an adult.

Funny about the surprise factor - i better not be surprised ;) Reminds me of a scene in flight training video with John King who was talking about the take offs and, in a very surprised voice he says "... and it flies!"; he seemed (jokingly, I assume) very surprised that the plane had accelerated to a speed where it finally took off in ground effect.

Congratulations!
Now have fun, and keep on learning.
I couldn't sleep the night before my checkride either. After the checkride I drove home, pulled up in my yard, turned off the car's ignition and fell asleep right there...with my seatbelt fastened and my sunglasses on. For 4 hours.

Thank you. That's a funny story - one that i can share. I felt very light on my feet, almost floating after walking away from the airplane - and felt that way for the rest of the day. Almost euphoric, what a feeling :)

So you said about 10k later, how many hours were total in flying as compared to paying CFI for Ground and just not flying hours..? Just curious.. I am at the beginning..

Danke schoen!

Agree with the other comments about your kinds. My wife is the same way. I have had my PPL for a year and a half and the closest she has been to my plane has been to look at in the hangar once. I have offered adventure flights with my CFII and she will not even do that. If you find a solution to that problem PLEASE PM me.

Another thought with your kids would be to put them in the plane while at tie down and let them get familiar with it before you fly. Then just taxi with them in it, and then maybe in the pattern and see how they do before thaking them on a flight seeing trip. My son is 24 and my daughter 17 and so when I took them up for the first time them playing with the yoke and rudders and switches, and buttons was not a problem. I wish I could say the same about my DPE, had to tell him at least 10 times to stop playing with the plsne, and that was before we even left the tie down area. It did not stop until we landed. I almost threatened to tie him up.

Doug

You and your wife will have to identify what the problem is.

For some things, there are simple solutions (especially if the issue is only unfamiliarity). For others, such as phobias, there really isn't a practical solution.

So you said about 10k later, how many hours were total in flying as compared to paying CFI for Ground and just not flying hours..? Just curious.. I am at the beginning..

Hi Marc, please see the top of this thread where I added a summary - it might answer some of your questions.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53539

Agree with the other comments about your kinds. My wife is the same way. I have had my PPL for a year and a half and the closest she has been to my plane has been to look at in the hangar once. I have offered adventure flights with my CFII and she will not even do that. If you find a solution to that problem PLEASE PM me.

Another thought with your kids would be to put them in the plane while at tie down and let them get familiar with it before you fly. Then just taxi with them in it, and then maybe in the pattern and see how they do before thaking them on a flight seeing trip. My son is 24 and my daughter 17 and so when I took them up for the first time them playing with the yoke and rudders and switches, and buttons was not a problem. I wish I could say the same about my DPE, had to tell him at least 10 times to stop playing with the plsne, and that was before we even left the tie down area. It did not stop until we landed. I almost threatened to tie him up.

Doug

I so wish I had an easy answer ;-) My plan is to never press on the idea, but expose my wife to it and let her see and feel at her own pace. My kids (the 7 and ~2 year old) I've already taken with me at the aiport. While a plane was on the ground, I let me sit up front and they loved it - I had a very hard time getting them out of it. Mom does not oppose me taking them, but she does not encourage that they go either. Time will tell.

Funny story with your DPE! Maybe that was part of his plan to distract you ;)

You and your wife will have to identify what the problem is.

For some things, there are simple solutions (especially if the issue is only unfamiliarity). For others, such as phobias, there really isn't a practical solution.

You're right. It is more than one factor and phobia could be it. I've got more to say on that but need to get moving.

Congrats Cap'n. Time to go fly.

;)
:yes:

Back