Private Pilot Cost Questions.....

bigD1031

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Zhem
So I have been looking at a couple of local FBO's to begin training on my PPL and received the below breakout of prices from one....

Enrollment Fee = $75
Training Material = $345
Damage Deductible & Liability Insurance = $210
Logbook = $15.95
Headset = $195.00
FAA PPL Written = $150.00
40 Hrs. Ground Instruction = $2,000.00
25 Hrs. Dual Flight Instruction = $4,272.50
20 Hrs. Pre/Post planning/review = $1,000.00
15 Hrs. Solo = $1,813.50
FAA Exam Fee = $325.00

Total = $10,401.95

Couple of questions to those with more knowledge than I have...

For the 40 Hrs of Ground Instruction @ $2,000, can't I take the online/video based ground school provided by an entity such as King? (Figure that would shave off about $1,500 or so.)

Also, does this look like an accurate/fair breakout? I know it is for only 40 hours and most people take more (60-70) but figure it is a starting point....

Thanks in advance for the information.

D

I'm guessing you're in the California Bay Area looking at those prices. See if you can find an independent CFI who does not have the huge overhead, that pricing is just ridiculous. It should add up closer to $6500.

yes, you can do self study for the ground. Also look for ground courses at a local community college for a couple hundred $$.

Just a suggestion - you don't need a "school" just a CFI and an airplane. Go around to local airports and talk to people, find out who does freelance instruction and what their reputations are.

Joining a local club may also work out well financially.

You should be able to get a certificate for well under your $10k estimate.

And you shouldn't need to buy a headset until you buy a plane.

And yes, go independent, I have no idea what this is:
"Damage Deductible & Liability Insurance"

And you shouldn't need to buy a headset until you buy a plane.

That's not particularly true, but I definitely wouldn't buy a $200 headset. I'd take a few flights using their 'loaner sets' to make sure that flying is your thing, then spend a bit more and get a good set. Cheap headsets are painful and distracting.

That's not particularly true, but I definitely wouldn't buy a $200 headset. I'd take a few flights using their 'loaner sets' to make sure that flying is your thing, then spend a bit more and get a good set. Cheap headsets are painful and distracting.

I bought a pair of DC's for 200 brand new :dunno:

Mix the numbers anyway you want, it is still gonna be about 10k by the time you are done.

Don't forget to add in a medical. I think I paid around $150 for mine a few months ago in NY. For only 40 hours that price seems pretty steep to me. My $0.02, find the oldest, ratiest 150, find an independent CFI that will work with you and work with your schedule and go flying. You'll save a bunch of money

Shop around price looks more than a little high. Do a self study ground school.

I can't wear a pair of DCs for more than about 20 minutes before my ears and the top of my head are burning in pain.

Depends on the shape of your head. DCs fit mine really nicely and believe it or not, I can wear my standard DC whatever model for a really long time and forget I'm wearing it.

I bought a cheap headset on like my first or 2nd flight.
I ended up giving it away to Hulk. By the time I was done w/ training I had a better idea of what type I wanted.

I should have just stuck with my instructor's. I didn't rally know any better at the time and just wanted my own headset to be more piloty

Thanks for the info everyone, it seemed a little high to me, especially the ground instruction.

I will continue to look around and see what I can find.

D

post where you are. Surely someone here is local and would be glad to help you with the lay of the land.

I bought a pair of DC's for 200 brand new :dunno:

Not directed at you, but please don't buy the low-end DC's with the el cheapo dynamic microphone. I flew with a couple of people who used those and couldn't understand them when they talked.

Also remember that 40hrs is optimistic (the absolute minimum if not part 141)...the national average is more like 50-60hrs for your PPL

Mix the numbers anyway you want, it is still gonna be about 10k by the time you are done.

Small world Mike, I spent my senior high school year at Jefferson Davis and one of my close friends lived in Prattville.

I'm guessing you're in the California Bay Area looking at those prices. See if you can find an independent CFI who does not have the huge overhead, that pricing is just ridiculous. It should add up closer to $6500.

No, I am in northern New Mexico, the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area.

Not directed at you, but please don't buy the low-end DC's with the el cheapo dynamic microphone. I flew with a couple of people who used those and couldn't understand them when they talked.

I found a good deal on H10-60s here on PoA.

It is 61, not sure we even have any 141's in NM.

Pretty sure pricing is for a Piper Cherokee....

Ok, in that case:

Enrollment Fee = $75
Sounds pretty bogus to me

Training Material = $345
Probably a pre-packaged set of materials they use with ground school classes; you probably can find cheaper alternatives to most of these items, but the school may not like it!

Having your own insurance is not a bad idea, but I don't like when a company demands you buy it. I'd be curious what their deductible and liability coverage is, and then you can decide what you want to do.

Logbook = $15.95
Standard

Headset = $195.00
See other comments--I'd either go really cheap or get one that will last a while.

Standard

As mentioned, you can do this with a self study course for $100 to $300.

15 Hrs. Solo = $1,813.50
Aircraft rental about 120/hour and CFI 50/hour. Not great, but fairly middle of the road depending on the market.

FAA Exam Fee = $325.00
Its an examiner's fee... the FAA doesn't charge you anything, but the examiner does. Depending on the examiner you choose to work with the fee generally ranges from $200 to $400 for a private checkride.

You dont really need groundschool. Just buy the books and learn how things work. Take the practice test until you have a score that assures passing. Ask the insrtructor questions that you cant figure out.

So I have been looking at a couple of local FBO's to begin training on my PPL and received the below breakout of prices from one....

Enrollment Fee = $75
Training Material = $345
Logbook = $15.95
Headset = $195.00
15 Hrs. Solo = $1,813.50
FAA Exam Fee = $325.00

Total = $10,401.95

Couple of questions to those with more knowledge than I have...

For the 40 Hrs of Ground Instruction @ $2,000, can't I take the online/video based ground school provided by an entity such as King? (Figure that would shave off about $1,500 or so.)

Also, does this look like an accurate/fair breakout? I know it is for only 40 hours and most people take more (60-70) but figure it is a starting point....

Thanks in advance for the information.

D
For ground I recommend self study with "Jepperson Private Pilot manual", I bought a used one for $20 from ebay. Use the "Gleim knowledge test" book for preparing the written exam and if you have any doubts read the Jepperson book and then schedule ground with your instructor for the doubts you have. But the Jepperson is a very good book for understanding the concepts and also check-ride prep later on. You can get the ASA oral exam guide when you are getting closer to the check-ride.

Last edited:

Which models are those? I don't think I've seen them.

Instead of saying I self studied for the written it's probably more applicable to say I'm constantly studying and along the way I passed the written. I started out using FAA publications and then a borrowed Jeppeson textbook. I've watched tons of online videos and material. I have a game I play with the kids where they throw a penny on a sectional and then I have to identify everything within 10 NM. So you can safe some money doing self study and then having your CFI clear up questions you still have.

I'm tracking costs but really only track my rental and CFI time, tests and medical. I don't have to carry any additional insurance or any other fees like enrollment. On equipment I might have spent $100 on an FAR/AIM book, few sectionals, AF/D, fuel test, plotter, E6B, bag... now I spent $1000 on a set of Bose A20s and glad I did. I have no issues with them and have never been uncomfortable.

Just looked at my tally and I'm $7K deep with 42.5 hours.

Just a comment, most of the $2000 ground instruction is probably the 1/2 hour or more, before and after each lesson with the instructor. For $200 I would hope this does include the actual ground school to prep your for the knowledge test.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Just a comment, most of the $2000 ground instruction is probably the 1/2 hour or more, before and after each lesson with the instructor....

I thought that, too. I had to go back and look again and saw this line item:

"20 Hrs. Pre/Post planning/review = $1,000.00"

Enrollment fee?
Parr 141 schools often have an enrollment fee to cover the cost of time and documents involved in the FAA-mandated enrollment process. OTOH, $2000 for the ground school portion of a 141 program seems excessive unless you're getting it 1-on-1 -- typical 141 ground school course fees are more like $400-500 in a classroom setting.

As for Henning's comment about finding a lower-cost instructor, $50/hour is less than I charge, and not at all out of line with what CFI's charge these days. There are significant overhead costs (I pay $1300/year for instructor insurance alone), and you're hiring someone to teach you how to do something which if done improperly can kill you faster than you can think. Given that this is about half what you'd pay for a lesson with a golf pro, and the consequences of poor training are orders of magnitude greater, I think it's quite reasonable.

And all things considered, $10K is about right for a budget for a PP-Airplane training program.

Last edited:
I took my check ride just short of 60 hours. I would say that 10K is pretty close. I don't have the courage to add up all of my receipts yet though. :no:

I should add that it would have been considerably cheaper had I stayed with the C152 but I changed schools at around 23 hours, or so. I had to use a 172 when I switched.

Last edited:
Just a comment, most of the $2000 ground instruction is probably the 1/2 hour or more, before and after each lesson with the instructor. For $200 I would hope this does include the actual ground school to prep your for the knowledge test.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Nope, notice that is an extra $2000 line item.

Back