Private checkride went horribly wrong!

It's a GREAT plane to experiment in, because you can always pull the chute!

and with this post, I'm out.

Cya, Wonder if I mention Schrodinger then next post will have some reference to cats. Planck, we'll hear about black body radiation, etc.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...cord_aerobatic_boynton_november_208824-1.html

<edit: I misspelled 'Planck'. That's the great thing about google experts, they never get anything wrong. Easy when you're copying from da googles.>

If it all goes to hell, where you are is likely going to be home for a very long time.

It amazes me to think that if the balloon goes up and someone spends a couple million to EMP us back to the dark ages - my aircraft engine will start, the ADF will probably work [gotta find it and put it back in] and the mechanical Russian watch I own will once again tell time and the compass and watch will get me anywhere -

Speaking of celestial navigation, does the USNO still print that book every year? Or has that gone the way of the dodo bird too?

The only annual book is the Nautical Almanac and it's available through several sources, the sight reduction tables H.O. 214 and the abbreviated 249 are permanent. If you have a star finder wheel, you won't live long enough for it to get far enough off to be unusable. BTW, if you have Bowditch, you can just calculate everything from the Almanac and H.O.s for yourself.

Is that true though? iPads are being accepted substitutes for paper from what I've heard. Like I said before, I have a backup there too.

The fact that the NextGen plan is going to rely so heavily on GPS would seem to indicate that at least some people in the know who are architecting how navigation works in the future are not too overly concerned with GPS failing frequently.

Ever hear of RAIM?

Speaking of celestial navigation, does the USNO still print that book every year? Or has that gone the way of the dodo bird too?

The Astronomical Almanac?

Yes, it still exists. It's really convenient for us astronomers to make test cases for the pointing software.

http://asa.usno.navy.mil/

The telescope really is a super-duper-accurate INS, and we get a huge amount of mileage out of treating it as such.

Last edited:
Ok, ready?

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley . .

[oh, this thread is gonna devolve into classic lore, I can feel it]
Rumack: You'd better tell the Captain we've got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.

Elaine Dickinson: A hospital? What is it?

Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now

His actions are going to prevent me from getting a qualification which will in turn prevent me from using it for financial gain at some point in the future. Therefore, his false statements about me are going to cause me harm.

Using a private pilot certificate for financial gain? Huh? Sounds like a good review of private pilot limitations is in order.

Elaine Dickinson: There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Dr. Hugo Z. Hackenbush?
Doc McStuffins?
Doc Savage?
Doctor Van Helsing?
Doctor Frankenstein? (with proper pronounciation)
Doctor Lecter?
Doctor Jekyll?
Dr. Richard Kimble?
Dr. Spengler?
Dr. Venkman?
Dr. Fu Manchu?
Dr. Frank-N-Furter?
Doctor Who?

Dr. Dre

That's impossible, they're on instruments!

No, that's correct, it isn't. I was just lucky enough to be at one of Feynman's CalTech lectures in the mid 80s. Every seat was taken, people standing in the wings, and on the sides, and it was recorded as well. We all just gaped, with our mouths open as this guy walked us through Quantum fields and Feynman diagrams as if it were paint by numbers. A thrilling moment for me and one I'll never forget.
I've read a copy of Feynman's 3 book lecture series (admittedly occasionally beyond my mathematics ability) and have often wished I'd been able to attend one of his classes. Though not quite in the same class, my dad's older brother was a good friend of Feynman and from his stories it sounds like in person the lectures were rather entertaining. How was enjoyable was the one you were at?

Hey, Where's Dr. Bruce? He's gotta have a few choice remarks . . . he is always pithy

I am new here and have found this to be an enjoyable post, up to a limit. Why are we feeding this troll? I soloed many years ago in a galaxy far far away. But can't believe a CFI would even let this guy go for a test. With this attitude my instructor ( a big 'ol dairy farmer in Nebraska) would have kicked by butt out of his J3 and told me not to come back.

I am new here and have found this to be an enjoyable post, up to a limit. Why are we feeding this troll? I soloed many years ago in a galaxy far far away. But can't believe a CFI would even let this guy go for a test. With this attitude my instructor ( a big 'ol dairy farmer in Nebraska) would have kicked by butt out of his J3 and told me not to come back.

Because it's another 166 posts to 1000 and it's boring without him.

Hey, Where's Dr. Bruce? He's gotta have a few choice remarks . . . he is always pithy

Both Ron and Bruce have been rather quiet on this thread. I brought it up before, but I keep wondering if we're getting spoofed from an insider...

Wasn't that a little snug, you and the big ol' dairy farmer? The two of you crammed up next to each other, sweat mingling, the unfortunate swapping of fluids that occurs in those cases? That is just not right.

I have only used female CFI's for that very reason. I am perhaps an overly dominant personality, it is true. Most people cannot resist me especially women.

But also I am actually an excellent pilot. That is why she signed me off.

Back