Private checkride went horribly wrong!

What happened to him ? Weak liver, still drunk from the $500 bottle of wine last night (or maybe he wanted to say '$500 worth of wine' which could be 100 $5 bottles)

Can we ask him to decode a NOTAM?
I don't really understand how trolling works or what the payoff is but seems...

I don't know. I am just not buying it. I know too many pilots and all are way more humble and respectful for this passion of ours.

People who drink $500 bottles of wine would never post that fact. I am not rich but I know a handful of people who bring in 7 figures and they rarely publicize numbers and costs of things like that.

Also none of them would be on a forum posting like a child and lashing out. People capable of generating that sort of money generally do not waste their time and would not get into name calling matches with random forum people. Again, I only know about 4 people in that category so not representitive of the overall wealthy population.

My checkride is supposed to be later this week I feel thoroughly prepared. I can do everything on paper and on the gadgets, I have read the oral prep front to back about 4 times, and same with the PTS. I think I will do okay. I think the OP will never be a pilot. But I also don't believe he is being honest. I am entitled to that gut feeling.

Also I just opened a fresh box of Merlot. It was $19.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise; two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency! Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near fanatical devotion to the Pope! Um, I'll come in again...”

People who drink $500 bottles of wine don't name the price, they name the vintner and vintage. I've never tried a $500 wine I thought was worth it, I have had some $1500 cognac that was though lol. One thing about yachts, we get some high quality booze, and people just leave the left overs at the end of a charter as part of the crew tip.:cheerswine:

My checkride is supposed to be later this week I feel thoroughly prepared. I can do everything on paper and on the gadgets, I have read the oral prep front to back about 4 times, and same with the PTS. I think I will do okay.

You'll be fine. Just dont try to record the thing :rofl: .

Ask the DPE whether you are allowed to use any gadgets. Once you have demonstrated your paper-pencil flight plan, he may not mind if you demonstrate use of 'all available information' for your flight portion. One of my checkrides the DPE said 'sure, go ahead, use it' but then proceeded to 'fail' the device somewhere along the way. A 496 on the yoke is imho no different from having an installed MFD in a advanced aircraft.

Guys, it's really time to let this thread die a quiet death.

The downside to gadgets is, if you're gonna use one, you best know how to use it right lol. Personally I suggest keeping it as simple as possible.

Ask the DPE whether you are allowed to use any gadgets. Once you have demonstrated your paper-pencil flight plan, he may not mind if you demonstrate use of 'all available information' for your flight portion. One of my checkrides the DPE said 'sure, go ahead, use it' but then proceeded to 'fail' the device somewhere along the way. A 496 on the yoke is imho no different from having an installed MFD in a advanced aircraft.

I took the 496 off the yoke and out of the plane on my check ride for that very reason.

I agree 100% with MiMi's post.

Why complicate the checkride with adding unnecessary gadgetry. I think the best thing for the checkride is the KISS protocol. You are flying VFR in VMC, in a plane whose manufacturer or builder should have supplied you with everything you need. I doubt the DPE is going to be impressed by you bringing electronic gizmos on the checkride, and remember if it is in the plane, you can and probably will be asked about it. To me, it just gives you one more thing you can possibly mess up.

Why complicate the checkride with adding unnecessary gadgetry. I think the best thing for the checkride is the KISS protocol. You are flying VFR in VMC, in a plane whose manufacturer or builder should have supplied you with everything you need. I doubt the DPE is going to be impressed by you bringing electronic gizmos on the checkride, and remember if it is in the plane, you can and probably will be asked about it. To me, it just gives you one more thing you can possibly mess up.

My DPE was impressed with my use of ForeFlight and an android app for weather preflight planning and a last minute weather check. I did my XC planning and execution the old fashioned way but my DPE seemed to think any weather product I added to enhance my understanding was good planning and contributed good ADM.

That was the instrument checkride. I find a moving map GPS display helpful for instrument flight.
I didn't go there to impress anyone, just wanted to pass my checkride. I am not in the 'all we needed was a T&B and a single VOR' macho camp.

My DPE was impressed with my use of ForeFlight and an android app for weather preflight planning and a last minute weather check. I did my XC planning and execution the old fashioned way but my DPE seemed to think any weather product I added to enhance my understanding was good planning and contributed good ADM.

True, but for me it is a checkride, and keeping it simple is the best way to keep the odds in your favor. I am all in favor for the modern conveniences in flying, and believe me I use them too, but during the checkride I tried to keep anything extraneous out. From what I could tell my DPE wanted to make sure that I could fly the plane, deal with the unexpected emergency, and not be dangerous to myself, or others. I just do not see why adding unnecessary complicating factors to it serves a purpose. Certainly, if it makes you feel more comfortable, use it, but to me it just opens you up to a line of questioning that is not really necessary.

That was the instrument checkride. I find a moving map GPS display helpful for instrument flight.
I didn't go there to impress anyone, just wanted to pass my checkride. I am not in the 'all we needed was a T&B and a single VOR' macho camp.
Sorry, did not catch you used it on a IFR checkride, and I agree having a moving map is quite useful in that case. Then again, I did mine in a G1000 equipped plane, and some of the ride was showing the DPE what the G1000 could do. He had some basic understanding of the unit, but also had some misunderstanding. Then again he did "fail" the unit to make me do the old T&B(actually 3 pack) and compass thing as well.

I've never done anything without my name attached. I've never been entertained by hiding behind some fake name like some seem to enjoy.
I'd be able to say that too if it weren't for that one little incident involving an airplane giveaway...

Protip 2: The one with the power to pass/fail you is always right.
Protip 4: The one with the power to pass/fail you is always right.
Protip 6: The one with the power to pass/fail you is always right.
Protip 8:The one with the power to pass/fail you is always right.
Well... usually. My instrument DPE asked me what I needed to do before using my GPS for primary navigation under IFR. I knew he was getting at doing a RAIM prediction, but since my GPS has WAAS, that's unnecessary as long as WAAS is available and I told him so. He confidently said I was wrong. I wouldn't have pressed the point but my instructor was there and backed me up. The DPE had the grace to admit he'd learned something.

But that's a long way from what the OP says happened, if indeed it really did happen and he's not just a troll. This person doesn't sound very mature, that's for sure. Oh, I just noticed he's banned. Sure didn't take long, and can't say I'm really surprised. :dunno:

Why is he banned? Did someone burn their sock puppet?

Last edited:
Why is he banned? Did someone burn their sock puppet?
He started calling half the posters on this thread morons and idiots. Seems to me that and some of his other behavior was against the rules.

I don't know about here, but on another board I'm at, if you get dinged by a mod, and start arguing and calling the mod a moron about it, you get to go on vacation like Forrest Gump's daddy.

tumblr_m7ik752Ih61rtbhef.gif

Can I unsubscribe from this zombie of a thread now? I think Dracula's thread's dead. Wouldn't it be the humane thing to do, to put a final stake through it's rotten heart? :D

Last edited:
You can't kill this thread! It's been one of the most entertaining I've seen on here. :rofl: Only thing missing is the originator; who is that masked man? :dunno:

You can't kill this thread! It's been one of the most entertaining I've seen on here. :rofl: Only thing missing is the originator; who is that masked man? :dunno:
I think a strong effort at a backtrace would be worthwhile here. The OP was certainly entertaining and it would be useful to know if he was for real and needs to be avoided or just funnin, in which case he probably ought to be nominated for the internet forum version of the Emmys.

Does PoA policy preclude disclosure of IPs and email addresses used by members who manage to get banned on first contact? If it does I think this one clearly needs to be granted a waiver on that.

Well, there's a George P Flemming Jr in the airman database with a student pilot cert that lives in Hampton Roads that fits the rest of the profile. I don't think he should have been banned. His home address comes up on a Google search.

Perhaps if George P is still monitoring this thread (how could he resist?) he might reply to you via email with that story, or better yet a recording of it!

Heck, I want to play follow the leader with him.

Well, there's a George P Flemming Jr in the airman database with a student pilot cert that lives in Hampton Roads that fits the rest of the profile. I don't think he should have been banned. His home address comes up on a Google search.
I found George Patrick, not Peter in Virginia with a student cert. Think he hid his middle name too?

I found George Patrick, not Peter in Virginia with a student cert. Think he hid his middle name too?

Now now gentlemen, lets not go stalk someone found on the Internet based on them having a similar name. Might be the same person or might be someone completely innocent but that he's a student pilot is not much of a correlation and that last name isn't the most uncommon name we've ever come across.

I don't think Pete should have been banner either. He could not have been the complete ass he was if he didn't have a bunch of us (myself included) feeding his inner-troll, and as immature as he was, he was providing some entertainment value (even if it was people laughing at him, rather than with him).

Back