Private backyard strip owners...How long and what are you flying out of it?

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
Title is the question if you are flying out of your own backyard strip. How long is it and what are you flying out of it?

Family friend has a 1300' grass strip that turns probably close to 30 degrees in that 1300' stretch. Right now he keeps a piper cub and another similar plane as well as a no name built from scratch homebuilt. The biggest plane he kept there was a F33 BO, also had a 182 and 172 at points. Claimed the BO did better than the 182 or 172, I thought that was interesting.

2002 Maule M7-235C

800 ft obstructed on one end.

1200 ft obstructed on both ends.

Here are a couple examples of the 1200 ft direction...

Some friends visiting...

visitors-sm.jpeg

I'm contemplating a 400 ft strip in our yard for the Zenith 750 if we build it.

1800ft give or take, although we don't generally mow the whole thing short. When I need longer, like for the heavily loaded pawnee, we use a section line road, it's a full mile.

10X20. I can't even legally fly my $40 quadcopter out of it :(

2500' of good water runway, it is a turning takeoff and landing, 50' trees on each side, flying a A185F amphib out of it.

Some good plane handling there. On the stall horn in flare. Good speed control.
On takeoff, he has that parking lot in case something goes wrong.

Hopefully he gets along with his neighbors.

Agreed...

He is a good shoe....... Right on with speeds and flying style..

Altho.. my guess is that strip is a "bit" longer then 1300 feet.;)..

Ps...

As for the original question...

My "backyard strip" is 3000', located at 8000 MSL..

Planes that have landed here include my 801, 172, 182, Huskies, Cubs, 206, Bo's, Kodiaks, Even had a twin otter during a fly in.... So far, no crashes or even close calls... But I only allow seasoned pilots use it.. And Harrison probably uses it the most... Contrary to what most people think.. he is actually a damn good pilot..:yes:..

http://www.airnav.com/airport/2WY3

Some good plane handling there. On the stall horn in flare. Good speed control.
On takeoff, he has that parking lot in case something goes wrong.

Hopefully he gets along with his neighbors.

Found the guys house on Google maps it is 1394' from the edge of the road to the trees.

Agreed...

He is a good shoe....... Right on with speeds and flying style..

Altho.. my guess is that strip is a "bit" longer then 1300 feet.;)..

Ps...

As for the original question...

My "backyard strip" is 3000', located at 8000 MSL..

Planes that have landed here include my 801, 172, 182, Huskies, Cubs, 206, Bo's, Kodiaks, Even had a twin otter during a fly in.... So far, no crashes or even close calls... But I only allow seasoned pilots use it.. And Harrison probably uses it the most... Contrary to what most people think.. he is actually a damn good pilot..:yes:..

http://www.airnav.com/airport/2WY3

Thought his saddle of choice was a DHC-2

My home strip is 4600' (18-36) and my crosswind runway is 2000 (07-25)
296 msl.
Fly a Commander 112 Tubo Normasized.

Ken

Ben, I hope to visit your strip one day. But it'll be in your 801. The 310 wouldn't do too great at that altitude for a 3k ft strip. :)

Ben, I hope to visit your strip one day. But it'll be in your 801. The 310 wouldn't do too great at that altitude for a 3k ft strip. :)

Ha... Don't laugh.......

When I die, the 801 is willed to Cloud Nine Rescue Flights.org....;):redface:

Turf, 2400 feet and a 182. But other guys are flying more exotic birds including PT-17s, Beech Staggerwing, Cessna 310, and even a Queen Air.

Last edited:
Ha... Don't laugh.......

When I die, the 801 is willed to Cloud Nine Rescue Flights.org....;):redface:

When the day comes (hopefully a long, long way off!), I'll make sure to land at your runway on the way out of town. :)

My backyard strip is 3000' long but I share it with a couple of dozen others :)

As we're clearing the lot my wife says she wants a lawn. I told her we had 3000' of lawn out there, but she didn't buy it.

My dad just became partners on a 640 acre ranch that'll be planted in citrus in 17.... There's an 1800' road that will be lengthened to 2800 and widened to 25' with a dozer that was delivered yesterday....

My TB-9, dad's Skylark, and my buddy's Cardinal will be frequenting it VERY soon.... Video to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad just became partners on a 640 acre ranch that'll be planted in citrus in 17.... There's an 1800' road that will be lengthened to 2800 and widened to 25' with a dozer that was delivered yesterday....

My TB-9, dad's Skylark, and my buddy's Cardinal will be frequenting it VERY soon.... Video to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My strip is about 1800 on wheels or skis, the water is a couple miles. Lots of planes land at my strip to install/remove floats.90ME.

Last edited:
Back