Private and Commercial Test Time Reduced

Why is giving 100% of people less time better than giving 1% more time?
Because if the seat's reserved or occupied, no one else can book it or use it. Reducing the reservation time to only what people are using solves all of these problems at once.

Last edited:
From what do you conclude they're hiding the facts behind the decision?

I conclude that they're hiding the facts because the facts are hidden. I am welcome to being proven wrong, but playing word games will not accomplish that.

I read that already. Did you? Because all it contains is a vague statement that they're reducing the test limits because the FAA and PSI collaborated together and decided to change it.
That's not all it contains. It also says that PSI and the FAA undertook a scientific study of the exam and redesigned questions and changed the time limits as a result. Part of the PSI contract is an overhaul of all the tests and testing system, so we'll see more of this type of thing.

I'm not sure that information that's ok the FAA website and can be found through Google counts as being hidden, but maybe.

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/files/Community_Advisory_Feb_2023.pdf

The most important thing in that announcement is
Five (5) unscored validation questions will be added to each test, increasing the PAR test from 60 to 65 questions and the CAX test from 100 to 105 questions. Unscored questions will not count towards the test taker's score. These questions are included to allow the FAA to evaluate the statistical performance of new questions before they are included in the sets of scored questions.

Validating test items this way has been a best practice for at least 15 years.

It's my opinion that if you don't know the material having extra time isn't going to help.
Spending 120 minutes staring at a question you don't know the answer to isn't going to change that.
There are some types of tests where having the time to try multiple approaches to solving a problem is advantageous, but multiple choice super simple FAA testing is not that.

If you are taking an FAA knowledge test, here is my advice.

1. Plan to use all the time they give you and be methodical.
2. Read each question 3 times and understand what they want to know before looking at the responses.
3. When referred to a diagram, read the entire diagram before attempting to solve the question.
4. If you are certain of the answer, answer it and drive on.
5. If you are uncertain of the answer, come back and review it again at the end of the test. The test supplement has a lot of information. Maybe the answer is in the test supplement.
6. For a question you remain uncertain of the answer, stay with your best guess.
7. Recheck all problems requiring math at the end of the test.

Last edited:
That's not all it contains. It also says that PSI and the FAA undertook a scientific study of the exam and redesigned questions and changed the time limits as a result. Part of the PSI contract is an overhaul of all the tests and testing system, so we'll see more of this type of thing.

Yes, they "studied" it first, which I paraphrased when I said "the FAA and PSI collaborated together."

The point was that the FAA statement is vague enough to mean anything. Being vague about the justification is the same as not revealing it.

Instead of arguing about the words being used, it might be better to argue against the point of the post.

Last edited:
Yes, they "studied" it first, which I paraphrased when I said "the FAA and PSI collaborated together."

The point was that the FAA statement is vague enough to mean anything. Being vague about the justification is the same as not revealing it.
It's not vague at all.
Instead of arguing about the words being used, it might be better to argue against the point of the post.
What point have you made that hasn't been argued against?

Back