Printing Approach Plates 2 per page

zalo9

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Zalo9
I am always downloading approach plates for upcoming flights as PDF files. When I print these out by default I get one per page centered on a sheet of paper. I end up trimming the page to fit my kneeboard. This takes time and wastes paper.

To save paper I would import the files into Photoshop and reformat the plates
two to a page. This is tedious and takes time.

So I wrote an application that automatically reformats selected files to print two plates per page in landscape. Fold the page in half and it fits my kneeboard. No paper is wasted (especially when you duplex).

I'm giving away the software and hope to enhance it. And I would be interested suggestions or problems you encounter while using it.

You will find the software here.

I just use the printer preference to print two pages per sheet and that works just fine.
Don't most people? (I don't, but that's because I've been a FinePrint user since before the days when 2-up printing was a standard feature for printers)

Of course, for some of us, expanding the chart to fill the full page using the capability to do that built into Adobe is the better option.

I just print it in Adobe and don't center, and I get four approach plates per sheet. 2 on one side, 2 on the other.

zalo9's applet is a nice freebie though I, too, am a FinePrint user. I have a virtual printer specifically for plates. It prints two-up, two-sided, with gutter margins so I can Jepp punch the resulting booklet. It also adds the print date and a page number. My most common use is to print a pack (free software: Aviator Trip Pack www.cmensys.com) of local approaches that I typically use for practice. When going out I pull out the ones I want to fly, then the page numbering makes it easy to put them back in the proper order.

ATP has a lot of capabilities besides making plate packs but I have not really explored them.

You can tell the young folk here; I am thrilled that I can print them REALLY BIG!

You can tell the young folk here; I am thrilled that I can print them REALLY BIG!

Yea,

I'm in the same boat, print them full size..... at 1c for the paper, it's a no brainer.

Back