Prince

I actually wrote "Shut the hell up. Please." Seemed like an easy enough request.

Would have been nice if you had responded without further name calling (which is not your style, I guess) and not dragged it back to the thread.

C'est la vie.

I guess I don't see how vigorously protecting one's intellectual propery is being douchey. Prince was famous for saying "if you don't own your masters then your masters own you." (or something like that)

You won't find his music on Spotify or Pandora because they wouldn't pay him. That's his prerogative. It is HIS property after all.

Fair use? I guess I'd have to see the individual cases. I don't know how anyone would need to use "his picture for critical examination or duscussion."

As is the case with most artists, things like the clothes they wear, their hairstyles, little changes they make to the instrumental aspects or lyrics of songs during individual concerts, and other things that the rest of us might consider trivial, can be of major interest to their most devoted fans. Prince routinely scoured fan sites and message boards for picture and excerpts of such things and filed DMCA claims to have them removed.

At one point, a group of his own fans formed a group called "Prince Fans United" or something along those lines to protest what they, his own fans, believed were unreasonable DMCA requests he'd filed. I remember that one such item was a picture a fan had taken with a cell phone during a live concert to show some aspect of his appearance (I think it was a hair style change).

When a person makes his or her living as a public figure, things like changes to their appearance become newsworthy within their particular spheres; and publishing pictures of those changes is generally considered "editorial fair use" as long as the pictures were taken by the person who uses them (or his or her agent, employer, etc.). But Prince scoured the Interwebs for things like that and filed DMCA requests to take them down. Ironically, in doing so he hurt his fans more than anyone else because no one else really gave a **** if he had a new hairdo.

I own a bunch of copyrights, and I do understand the importance of protecting intellectual property. But there comes a point where it can get ridiculous and mean-spirited -- especially if the alleged infringement is merely an expression of admiration for the individual and there are no apparent damages.

Rich

Last edited:
I will never know how Prince got away with his half time show thing. On the heels of the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" Prince had this guitar with a very weird shaped bottom half. At one point they showed him playing his guitar behind a curtain and it looked like a dude with a huge devil dong.

the-prince-super-bowl-halftime-show-was-another-level-of-genius.jpg

And nobody said a thing.

A person dies and this thread turns into a p**sing match....... :popcorn:

For some reason seems to happen on all "Pilot" related forums, with uncanny frequency , wonder why ?

Cheers

A person dies and this thread turns into a p**sing match....... :popcorn:

For some reason seems to happen on all "Pilot" related forums, with uncanny frequency , wonder why ?

Cheers

Nothing specific to pilots. Some people don't deal with death too well. Some people can't handle humor in combination with certain topics such as death or religion or politics.

I am not one of those people but I do respect the sensitivity. I reserve the humor with people I know are more open minded.

*Man, I'm gonna feel bad if he dies anytime soon*

We'd have to leave it to 6PC. All I can come up with is

"Here lies Sac"

yeah, I got nothing after that.

Last edited:
Here lies Sac
Got caught in the act

Not least among Prince's many accomplishments is that he temporarily displaced Donald Trump from CNN, for which I think we can all agree his memory will forever be owed a debt of gratitude.

Rich

Charlie Murphy (Eddie's brother) was on the Dave Chappelle show a long timeago. He was telling his Hollywood stories. One of them was about playing Prince in a game of basketball.

I was in the garage working on one of the Guzzi's this evening, listening to Q on NPR. Tribute to Prince. had no idea he played b-ball. Apparently, he played in high school, and was pretty good at it.

Seeing him in concert was on my list of "must do's. Damn.

"I would... Die for... You!" He kept his promise.

And there's your ear worm for the weekend...

Looking like the diversion a few days ago to Moline was to rush Prince to the hospital w/a drug overdose.

Abc news had this as a lead in on the news the other day. It went," now we have audio of the flight he was on which was diverted. Coming up!" All it was was the pilot calling final for 27 at Moline.

I was in the garage working on one of the Guzzi's this evening, listening to Q on NPR. Tribute to Prince. had no idea he played b-ball. Apparently, he played in high school, and was pretty good at it.

Seeing him in concert was on my list of "must do's. Damn.

Which b-ball was that? He was about 5'0" so I can't imagine he was much of a basketball player. Even baseball players are rather big guys, too. Billiards? Billiard-ball? Ok, more believable.

Muggsy Bogues. 5'3" point guard. 10 seasons with Charlotte, a Fe w more with Washington and Golden State.

From Chevrolet:

26559421936_0f951bfd8a_z.jpg

I drive Vettes, disgusted the purple drugged up pervert is associated with them in any fashion. Chevy trying to make money off the death. I suspect he never even owned one.

He has always been special to Minnesota, since he's "ours".

I more enjoy listening to Insane Clown Posse, but I dug Prince's music, he was very talented and made some catchy tunes.

It is sad when anyone dies; and Prince will be missed here at home.

They should put Prince on the $20 bill and call it $19.99... It's "The bill formerly known as a twenty."
upload_2016-4-25_21-37-48.png

Now we know 40K to drug dealers regularly, I'm sure others got caught up in their dealing because
he was giving them so much money. Let's visit a few of the class acts lyrics a moment.....

"I sincerely want to fXXX the taste out of your mouth."

"I knew a girl named Nikki, I guess U could say she was a sex fiend/I met her in a hotel lobby, masturbating with a magazine"

"If you're tired of the masturbator/Come on over 2 my neighborhood/We can jump in the sack and I'll jack U off"

"U had a pocket full of horses/Trojan and some of them used...I'm gonna try 2 tame your little red love machine"

etc etc etc

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/5944/20140506/10-of-princes-dirtiest-lyrics.htm

Man that is just some primo stuff huh? So good, So clever. So talented. Dear gawd put him on money. Have the children sing his lyrics.

I have an old friend who actually broke up crying that he passed and was annoyed with me for saying there is a long standing "tradition" of dead rock stars killed by their drugs.

He vehemently argued that the guy was a tee totaler and never touched anything ever.

Hmm. Wonder how he's taking all this news about his made up hero? He's probably still wiggling out.

It took him a month to act his normal self after Frank Zappa died. At least that one had *some* merit.

Never been big on hero worship behavior. I certainly love the stories of some folk's lives and think they busted some serious ass to do impressive things, things I'm not willing to bust that much ass for, but their pedestal is never very high with me. Just people.

And I don't kid myself that they don't have real personality or other problems the PR people make disappear. Man some of them are seriously screwed up to be as driven as they are, if you get a chance to really talk to them.

A tad sorry for my friend who's watching his supposedly drug free hero go down in flames, if he's not in full denial about it. I bet he is.

We'll see when he comes out of his hole in a month or so.

Life in the fast lane surely make you lose your mind...
Life in the fast lane...

Eagles

I have an old friend who actually broke up crying that he passed and was annoyed with me for saying there is a long standing "tradition" of dead rock stars killed by their drugs.

He vehemently argued that the guy was a tee totaler and never touched anything ever.

Hmm. Wonder how he's taking all this news about his made up hero? He's probably still wiggling out.

It took him a month to act his normal self after Frank Zappa died. At least that one had *some* merit.

Never been big on hero worship behavior. I certainly love the stories of some folk's lives and think they busted some serious ass to do impressive things, things I'm not willing to bust that much ass for, but their pedestal is never very high with me. Just people.

And I don't kid myself that they don't have real personality or other problems the PR people make disappear. Man some of them are seriously screwed up to be as driven as they are, if you get a chance to really talk to them.

A tad sorry for my friend who's watching his supposedly drug free hero go down in flames, if he's not in full denial about it. I bet he is.

We'll see when he comes out of his hole in a month or so.

I have a family member who's in the music business who claims that Prince really had cleaned up as far as drugs were concerned and was actually very much anti-drug. The problem is that I've known other people who were outwardly very much anti-drug, but who were also very much in denial of their own addictions to prescription opiates. I wouldn't be surprised if Prince also belonged to that group.

In these people's minds, there's a big difference between drugs taken for physical pain and drugs taken for the purpose of getting high. Even when they cross over to buying illegal narcotics (or buying legal narcotics illegally), they blame their doctors and/or the government for not prescribing them sufficient quantities of the drugs to keep the pain at bay.

They do have a point. As tolerance increases, narcotics can in fact become less effective at relieving chronic pain. Eventually the amounts that their doctors can prescribe without running afoul of the DEA may be inadequate to relieve the pain. Whether that point occurs before or after they become addicted to the drug itself is a coin toss. What matters to these people is that they still have pain, they know that it can be relieved by a drug, and they know that they are being prevented from obtaining enough of that drug to relieve the pain.

One of these addicts I knew was a woman who was in her late 70s. She was a client of mine and was fairly wealthy, a staunch Republican, and a reliable donor to conservative causes. Her radio was constantly tuned to the likes of Limbaugh, Hannity, and Levin, and she had zero tolerance for "druggies" and other "low-lifes." And she was an addict. When the transdermal narcotics her doctor prescribed for her back pain no longer did the job, she obtained legal narcotics through illegal channels.

She openly admitted it to me (why, I have no idea). She didn't think there was anything wrong with it because the drugs themselves were "legal," even though she was obtaining them illegally. To her way of thinking, that was morally different from obtaining "illegal" drugs like heroin. In fact, she considered herself an activist who wanted to get the government out of people's relationships with their doctors. She blamed the government for not allowing her doctor to prescribe sufficient drugs to relieve her pain.

Frankly, I have to agree with her. She was already in her late 70s, so any concern about long-term consequences were diminished. She functioned quite well on her combination of legally- and illegally-obtained narcotics. She was able to drive, do her own shopping, attend to her own charitable and political activities, and manage her own finances. She was on the Board of Directors of several well-known charities and was the president of one of them. She also was a volunteer EMT. That was how she'd had hurt her back in the first place: lifting a patient into the rig when she was in her 70s. Even after the injury, she still drove the ambulance two days a week.

Most importantly, I never observed her robbing even a single liquor store. Not even once.

The truth of the matter is that people can function quite well while they're on narcotics, even at high doses, as long as their dosages are well-managed. The problem is that narcotics dosing can be tricky, especially when the patient has a high tolerance. And it becomes a deadly game when the patient is self-dosing because the powers that be have decided that they've crossed an arbitrary line from "use" to "abuse" of the drug, and have made it illegal for them to obtain sufficient drugs to treat their pain and/or maintain their addictions under a doctor's supervision.

If Prince did die of an accidental overdose, as is being speculated, the evidence of those who knew him overwhelmingly suggests that he overdosed on narcotics that he nominally used to manage his hip pain. If so, then I consider him another victim in this country's idiotic drug policies, which interposes cops between doctors and patients for fear that patients might become guilty of breaking the unwritten law that underlies all of our drug laws: experiencing euphoria.

Although there is no such written law, euphoria is nonetheless illegal in America. Americans are strictly forbidden from feeling any happier than the law allows. Both experiencing euphoria or assisting others to experience euphoria are crimes punishable by fines, revocation of medical licenses, or lengthy jail sentences. America has zero tolerance for euphoria.

Even if a person suffers from a medical condition that causes great pain that can be relieved only by narcotics, the concern that they might experience euphoria so outweighs their medical need for pain relief that the euphoria cops routinely interpose themselves between such patients and their doctors. They need to make sure that these people don't get too close to feeling happier than the law allows. If that means that the patients must live every moment of their lives in excruciating pain, well, those are the breaks. It's for their own protection. It's far better that they live every moment of their lives in indescribable pain than that they run the risk of feeling too happy. That must be avoided at all costs.

You think I'm kidding? Look up down the characteristics of every schedule drug. They all have one thing in common: They can induce euphoria. In fact, the quickest way to get something outlawed in America is to prove that that something can induce euphoria. It doesn't matter whether it's a pill, potion, or plant. If it induces euphoria, it must be outlawed.

We can't have people walking around feeling too happy, after all.

Rich

Last edited:
We can't have people walking around feeling too happy, after all.

No we can't, if that means that other people around them are being killed, injured, abused by the person who is feeling happy but is actually impaired. If they can "be happy" locked up at home by themselves, then I'm good. ;)

No we can't, if that means that other people around them are being killed, injured, abused by the person who is feeling happy but is actually impaired. If they can "be happy" locked up at home by themselves, then I'm good. ;)

Fricking A, let's go have a beer!!

Except alcohol. They did try to ban that, but it went rather poorly, overall.

Going pretty poorly now with the war on drugs. Unless King Trump (who has my vote btw) builds that wall but that won't stop it. Read an article about cartel pot farms in Pike County OH! :eek:

The thing is that if a person is addicted to painkillers, they're usually not impaired as long as they're properly dosed, despite those dosages being such that they would knock most people flat on their backs. That's the way tolerance works.

It's when these people need a fix that they become impaired. In addition to the usual withdrawal symptoms -- especially the overriding need to find a fix, which becomes their obsessive focus and distracts attention away from everything else other than perhaps breathing -- they're also suffering from whatever pain it was that caused them to be prescribed the painkillers in the first place.

One possible (and government-sanctioned) option for these people is methadone, which is effective for many (but not all) types of pain. But it's also widely considered by both addicts and addictionologists to be the most difficult of all narcotic additions to shake. Once you're on methadone, chances are that you will be on it for the rest of your life. It's far more addictive than any of the drugs for which it's commonly prescribed as a replacement. It also has side effects that some users claim are worse than those of heroin.

The other problem with methadone is that it's legal, but in an ass-backward kind of way. When prescribed for addiction management (which probably accounts for more than 90 percent of methadone scrips), it's generally available only from methadone clinics. The addict has to report every single day to get their dose. If they miss the appointment, they're out of luck. Once withdrawal sets in, there is no way that they can do anything other than suffer.

This daily in-person dosing requirement means that they can't work a job that interferes with their dosing schedule, they can't take overtime, they can't go on any out-of-town trips, they can't sleep late, they can't stay home with a sick child, and they can't time their dose so it won't make them drowsy when they need to be alert, among other things. They have to be at the clinic every day at the appointed time to get their dose. Period. That becomes the center of their existence. They become slaves to the drug.

When prescribed strictly for chronic pain when there is no addiction involved, those restrictions don't apply. The problem is that very few pharmacies stock methadone because there's practically no demand for it as an analgesic. Another problem is that it's almost never prescribed as a first-line analgesic, so any time a doctor does prescribe it for pain to someone who's been taking other opiates, it's assumed that addiction is part of the equation, which puts them into the more rigorous in-person protocol.

Finally, Methadone is a Schedule II Controlled Substance in its own right, and like other opiates, it also loses its effectiveness after a while. The individual may even become more sensitive to pain, which is called "opioid-induced hyperalgesia." When this happens, the doctor's in the same position: He or she can't increase the dosage because DEA and whatever other cops are in the mix are looking over his or her shoulder.

As an aside, many people wonder why it's legal to treat an opiate addiction by getting the addict addicted to a synthetic opioid that's even more addictive than the opiates to which he or she is already addicted. The reason is simple once you understand the truth of what I said earlier, namely, that it's the de facto illegality of euphoria that is the foundation upon which American drug policy rests. Once you grasp that reality, then the answer makes perfect sense:

Methadone doesn't induce euphoria. In fact, it blocks the euphoria-inducing effects of other narcotics. And once you cut through all the ********, it's euphoria that's really illegal.

Rich

Last edited:
Back