Presidential Trivia

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - I asked this on the red board, but I figured y'all'd like it too:

With all possible scenarios, what is the maximum amount of time a single man can serve as President of the United States?

Hint - its not the answer you think.

I would guess real close to 12 years. Two elected terms and one term where the president died early in the term (like right after taking the oath of office)

NC Pilot said:
I would guess real close to 12 years. Two elected terms and one term where the president died early in the term (like right after taking the oath of office)

Not quite....close....

Amendment XXII - Presidential term limits. Ratified 2/27/1951. History

1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term

a ex president may also run for vice president, and in the event the sitting president dies, he would be president again. but could not be elected for a second term. so as many times as a former president wants to run for vice president and have then take over if the sitting duck dies...the answer would be indefinate.

22nd Amendment (first sentence)
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

smigaldi said:
Amendment XXII - Presidential term limits. Ratified 2/27/1951. History

1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term

Well - you got all the right info - so whats the answer? The answer lies within that amendment.

Michael said:
a ex president may also run for vice president, and in the event the sitting president dies, he would be president again. but could not be elected for a second term. so as many times as a former president wants to run for vice president and have then take over if the sitting duck dies...the answer would be indefinate.

22nd Amendment (first sentence)
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

It turns out that in order to be the vice president, you must be eligible to be president also. A former president that has served the maximum number of years (the answer to the trivia question that has been unanswered so far) would not be eligible to be vice president as he is no longer eligible to be president.

oh yeah...source:

US Constitution said:
The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
It turns out that in order to be the vice president, you must be eligible to be president also. A former president that has served the maximum number of years (the answer to the trivia question that has been unanswered so far) would not be eligible to be vice president as he is no longer eligible to be president.

oh yeah...source:

good catch Nick. Thanks for the info.

OK, I'll give it another shot - 10 years?

The only exception I can think of would be when a President who has served 10 years becomes the Speaker of the House (I believe that is the next in line after the VP) would become President in the event both the President and VP both passed away.

NC Pilot said:

The only exception I can think of would be when a President who has served 10 years becomes the Speaker of the House (I believe that is the next in line after the VP) would become President in the event both the President and VP both passed away.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!

That is the answer - 10 years.

The only way this is possible is if the Current president dies exactly at the 2 year mark of his presidency (read, not more or less than 2 years) and the VP takes over per Amendment XXII. He is now eligible to be elected to the office of president for 2 terms beyond those 2 years.

Good point about the Speaker of the House....I wonder what the requirements for that position entail. Time to research. This stuff fascinates me so much.

NC Pilot said:

agree. 10 years. unless.....the former president was elected to congress and the sitting president and vice both died. then congress could appoint the ex president again...I think.

I dont remember which ammendment it is but simply put I think that it says two terms or a total of 10 years. If someone was Vice President and took over in the first year of his Presidents term, then he would not be allowed to run for what would be his third term. But if he took over in the third year of his first term, then he would be allowed to run for his third term because it would total less than ten years.

Taking it to the limit, "All possible scenarios" would include ammending the constitution so there are a very large number of correct answers bounded only by a human's physical life span.

After being the pres, why would I want to be a junior exec like Veep or Speaker? It's not like I'll ever have to work for a living again.

SkyHog said:
Ok - I asked this on the red board, but I figured y'all'd like it too:

With all possible scenarios, what is the maximum amount of time a single man can serve as President of the United States?

Hint - its not the answer you think.

I'm not sure there's a limit. If you get elected as Vice President over and over and keep having the Pres capped, you could keep it up for a while I imagine. Outside that I'd say under the weirder circumstances I can think of would be nearly 16 years, but that would require offing the pres and vice pres once around.

I'm pretty sure that the Speaker or President Pro Tem of the Senate or even the cabinet folks get skipped if they are not qualified.

MSmith said:
I'm pretty sure that the Speaker or President Pro Tem of the Senate or even the cabinet folks get skipped if they are not qualified.

True. Back when Henry Kissinger was Sec. of State, it was often mentioned that if they had to start going down the list of cabinet members for a list of succession, Kissinger could not serve as president (because he wasn't born in this country.)

22nd Amendment refers to being ELECTED president, not serving as such. If elected twice, I would think that it only prevents a person from being elected to the office a third time. Not that I can imagine a former president serving in the House of Representatives and making Speaker, but I don't see anything that would prevent such a person from assuming the office if necessary.

Ten years is probably the constitutional answer, though we should never underestimate (or in the words of the current west wing inhabitant, 'misunderestimate') the legal inconsistencies and vagueries which may be read into that fine document. Just try to find a legal underpinning for the Supreme Court to hear Bush v. Gore.

Technicalities aside, I want to realistically answer the question posed in the original post, which to quote was: "With all possible scenarios, what is the maximum amount of time a single man can serve as President of the United States?"

The real answer is less than four years.

Why?

Because we haven't elected a bachelor to the white house since Woodrow Wilson, and that only occurred because Roosevelt split the republican vote by creating the Bull Moose party. At the time there was considerable rumor (though unsubstantiated) of Wilson's sexual orientation that cost him support (incidentally, there have been three other bachelors elected to the presidency. One we now know was gay and another was rumored to have been, but all occurred long before mass media and in the day when presidents did not actually campaign for the job).

Today's political climate is a little weird; marriage is considered the normative baseline, and deviation without cause is considered abnormal. To the average voter, if you are attractive, intelligent and powerful enough to be electable as President, there's no reason you shouldn't have a spouse, and if you don't "something is wrong with you". It's sad, but I think that's how many see it.

So, my answer is less than four years. Because a married man can get elected, but if he gets divorced it's a shoe-in he wouldn't be in for a second term. And a single person could not get elected. Maybe someday, but not today.

mattaxelrod said:
True. Back when Henry Kissinger was Sec. of State, it was often mentioned that if they had to start going down the list of cabinet members for a list of succession, Kissinger could not serve as president (because he wasn't born in this country.)

Not completely correct, You don't have to be born in country, you do have to be born a US citizen, there was also debate as to whether he could serve as without being elected. As I recall it, the specific wording had to do with requirements for being elected. It was some mumbo jumbo like that. Wasn't Madeline Albreight<sp?> in that same situation?

Henning said:
Not completely correct, You don't have to be born in country, you do have to be born a US citizen, there was also debate as to whether he could serve as without being elected. As I recall it, the specific wording had to do with requirements for being elected. It was some mumbo jumbo like that. Wasn't Madeline Albreight<sp?> in that same situation?

Are you sure about that? I was always under the impression that I am ineligible to be President because I was born in Landsthul, Germany, to military parents.

SkyHog said:
Are you sure about that? I was always under the impression that I am ineligible to be President because I was born in Landsthul, Germany, to military parents.

"The fourteenth amendment to the United State Constitution provides an additional source of constitutional doctrine that emphasizes birth "in the United States" and subjection to U.S. jurisdiction at the time of birth, as the defining elements of citizenship (other than citizenship by naturalization):
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the Jurisdiction thereof, are Citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. . ." Amendment XIV, section 1. However, the full text of the fourteenth amendment does not mention the phrase "natural-born citizen" nor does it address Presidential qualifications in any way and thus provides little guidance in this matter. In fact, the phrase "natural born Citizen" isn't defined anywhere in the Constitution and its interpretation has never been squarely the subject of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling. Significantly, however, Congress, in which a number of framers of the Constitution sat, provided in the Naturalization Act of 1790 that "And the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond the sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens" This strongly suggests that the framers understood this phrase to refer to citizenship acquired at birth (whether or not that birth had taken place on U.S. soil). This interpretation was clearly restated by a Cabinet Committee in 1940, which declared that "persons who acquired United States citizenship at birth abroad had never been regarded as naturalized." Courtsey of Wikipedia

So when you reach 35 years old Nick you would eligible to be POTUS

Last edited:
cherokeeflyboy said:
"The fourteenth amendment to the United State Constitution provides an additional source of constitutional doctrine that emphasizes birth "in the United States" and subjection to U.S. jurisdiction at the time of birth, as the defining elements of citizenship (other than citizenship by naturalization):
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the Jurisdiction thereof, are Citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. . ." Amendment XIV, section 1. However, the full text of the fourteenth amendment does not mention the phrase "natural-born citizen" nor does it address Presidential qualifications in any way and thus provides little guidance in this matter. In fact, the phrase "natural born Citizen" isn't defined anywhere in the Constitution and its interpretation has never been squarely the subject of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling. Significantly, however, Congress, in which a number of framers of the Constitution sat, provided in the Naturalization Act of 1790 that "And the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond the sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens" This strongly suggests that the framers understood this phrase to refer to citizenship acquired at birth (whether or not that birth had taken place on U.S. soil). This interpretation was clearly restated by a Cabinet Committee in 1940, which declared that "persons who acquired United States citizenship at birth abroad had never been regarded as naturalized." Courtsey of Wikipedia

So when you reach 35 years old Nick you would eligible to be POTUS

Sweet. I'm going to have to use that, because believe it or not, this discussion has come up MANY times in my life.

I now have a source to base an opinion on!

SkyHog said:

Nope, you are most definitely eligible to run for Prez. "SkyHog for Prez 08'"
Sounds better than the other candidate possibilities.

BTW, you've gotta polish your image now, so that Avitar has to go:vomit: :yes:

Last edited:
flyingcheesehead said:
JFK.... If you mean POTUS.

Nope......

1) TR remains the youngest person ever to hold the office of President of the United States; he was 42 when he was sworn in after President McKinley's assasination. Four years later he was "elected" in his own right as president. John F. Kennedy was 43 when he was elected and took office.
;)

Tim said:
Who was the youngest President.

JFK was the youngest ELECTED Prez
Teddy Roosevelt was the youngest to ever SERVE as president. He replaced
William McKinley, who was assassinated.

Pjsmith said:
At the time there was considerable rumor (though unsubstantiated) of Wilson's sexual orientation that cost him support (incidentally, there have been three other bachelors elected to the presidency. One we now know was gay and another was rumored to have been, but all occurred long before mass media and in the day when presidents did not actually campaign for the job).

Who? Who?

Today's political climate is a little weird; marriage is considered the normative baseline, and deviation without cause is considered abnormal. To the average voter, if you are attractive, intelligent and powerful enough to be electable as President, there's no reason you shouldn't have a spouse, and if you don't "something is wrong with you". It's sad, but I think that's how many see it.

That is sad, 'cuz I think Sen. Russ Feingold is gonna run, and he'd make a great prez, but I think he's in the midst of his second divorce right now. :(

So if a VP assumes the presidency for two years after the president dies, and then serves another two terms, can he log the first two years as PIC or not?:goofy:

--Kath

Back