Prescott from SoCal

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
We are flying out to Prescott in a week or so to look at real estate and homes.

I was looking at the sectional and IFR MEA's - and the almost always active MOA's at Baghdad. Turtle, Quail and Gladden, plus the restricted areas to the NE and surrounding 29 Palms - also Prescott Valley is a deep little valley approaching from the South -

Thus - how do most people get in and out of Prescott Valley from SoCal?

I'm thinking HEC EED then direct DRK VOR or so -

Keeps you near civilization, near freeways - until the 4000' or so descent into the Valley.

Coming from the S seems steeper descent and more terrain. . . .

Thoughts?

I'm thinking HEC EED then direct PRC VOR or so
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing a day or two ago when I was looking at AZ sectionals for possible trips out there, and that was more or less the same course I plotted to keep me relatively close to civilization should the S hit the fan

My usual was TNP V514 ZELMA V12 DRK. V514 goes through a narrow gap between MOAs.

As to the four MOAs you listed, the chart says "Monday-Friday, other times by NOTAM." Might be easier if can you go on a weekend.

I'm planning for Sedona in two weeks since the ceilings screwed up my program last weekend.

My plan is SLI PDZ PSP PKE DRK then direct.

Takes me directly through one of the Baghdad MOAs but I feel like there are so many through there that going through one is what it is. I'll inquire as to the activities and if an altitude change can help, but I'm going to be "that guy."

Could go PSP TNP ZELMA DRK... but meh.

Dang - you guys are adding to the massive growth in N. AZ! LOL - I'm doing the same... looking for homes out in the Prescott area.

I'm VFR only, so probably am of no help...

Dang - you guys are adding to the massive growth in N. AZ! LOL - I'm doing the same... looking for homes out in the Prescott area.

I'm VFR only, so probably am of no help...

Actually - VFR is prob 350 days a year out there -

Running away from Calif idiots and NOT bringing Calif liberal politics with me. Thats kind of the point.

The MOAs are active almost every business day - weekends make it easier - but then you're time limited and in summer you've got 8-9k density alts every afternoon.

Running away from Calif idiots and NOT bringing Calif liberal politics with me. Thats kind of the point.

I understand and am right there with you.

Sadly the locals will tell you that there's a lot of folks moving there from California that are trying to change the "tone" of the town. They don't take too kindly to that. But the home developers are loving it as they're selling homes in the $350-$800K range to transplants. Sigh...

VFR here too, but I prefer going up the Cajon Pass, then just north of restricted airspace (south of Barstow), then just north of Turtle & Bagdad MOAs. Pretty direct, and you don't have to worry about any MOA activity.

We are flying out to Prescott in a week or so to look at real estate and homes.

I was looking at the sectional and IFR MEA's - and the almost always active MOA's at Baghdad. Turtle, Quail and Gladden, plus the restricted areas to the NE and surrounding 29 Palms - also Prescott Valley is a deep little valley approaching from the South -

Thus - how do most people get in and out of Prescott Valley from SoCal?

I'm thinking HEC EED then direct DRK VOR or so -

Keeps you near civilization, near freeways - until the 4000' or so descent into the Valley.

Coming from the S seems steeper descent and more terrain. . . .

Thoughts?
When I live in San Diego and traveled regularly to visit family in Prescott, my typical VFR route was from BLH direct to PRC at 5500-6500. That keeps you below the MOAs. Terrain is really not much of an issue.

One the few days I had to do it IFR then I went via EED and then V12 to DRK.

Back