Preparing for my PPL Oral & Checkride... any suggestions?

Riley Norman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Riley Norman
Hello! I am currently preparing for my oral & checkride, and I am very nervous. Is there any suggestions on what topics to look over, what i should put more emphasis on studying?
Thanks in advance!
-Riley

The ACS should tell you everything. Relax and get a good rest the night before. The examiner wants to pass you. Give him a reason to.

I know it is hard to do because of so much unknown...but relax, get a good night sleep and plenty to eat. If your CFI has you scheduled...you are ready.

Day before I took a legal pad and started making notes of areas I felt I was weak on...physically wrote them down then reviewed again that morning.

I was freakin out as well even the morning of...and on both my PPL and IFR orals I got done and thought "wow, that was easier than I expected".

What does most people in is nerves...not being unprepared.

If anyone else around you has used that dpe lately ask what he looked for. Each one has something the like to hit hard. My guy was weather.

My oral was just a nice conversation on aviation topics. It felt really comfortable. And I got some tidbits of extra knowledge and wisdom (DPE was a very experienced pilot) during it.

Relax (hard to do, but still I have to say it!).

Enjoy, have fun and show him/her you can fly the airplane.

Relax, you are ready. Get a good night sleep and go knock it out.

Exactly, your instructor wouldn't have signed you off if you weren't ready. Just remember, the examiner wants you to pass...report back after!

"currently preparing and studying for...."

is it scheduled yet? depending on how long you have, set aside time each night to study, maybe an hour, maybe 3, whatever you want, then study during that time. like everyone else said, 'the night before' is not the time to start cramming, it's time to try* to relax and get a good night's sleep.

*I say try because it's much easier said than done, but people recommend that because you are probably more prepared than you're giving yourself credit for. plus, once you take it, you'll most likely say the same thing most of us said after the checkride....."hey, that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!". good luck and try* to have fun with the wild ride training has led you on.

One thing to remember also is when you know the answer to an oral question but can't spit it out. Tell the DPE you know where you can find the answer. Example, an FAR question, you know it's Part 91 so he says show me, you know where to look. Don't BS him though if you don't know the answer or where to find it.

Back