Preferred footwear

In the winter I wear something that resembles biker boots; ankle high with some tread. But we walk around in the snow a lot, like today. Unlike others, I like something substantial.

Maybe a silly question, but aside from bare feet or flip flops, what sort of footwear works best for flying?
Being a mechanic/farm type, boots have been my normal foot covering for long enough I'm not sure if I should get sneakers, hiking boots or whatever for flying. Keeping my toes off the brakes has been a bit of a challenge, so I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks for the input!

I wear whatever from barefoot to boots, depends on the type of flying I'm doing. Big snow boots are usually a bit too clunky though. A pair of Justin ropers has been a standard for a long time with the airline/corporate crowd, and a good pair of leather boots provides some fire protection. If I'm flying over rugged country, even if I don't wear them flying, I'll have appropriate footwear for hiking out.

I personally know a lady who wrapped her cub around a windsock structure because her flip flops got entangled with the pedals. Needless to say she doesn't fly her that or her C-180 wearing them.

Was that your sole question?

I just want to toe the line.

In all seriousness, the boots I've been wearing lately don't afford much feel, especially my toes, which have thankfully only gingerly applied brakes when I didn't mean to; it could certainly be worse. Frankly, I just hadn't really thought too much about shoes/boots.

It's interesting getting in, but once you're in the seat, it's all good.

Attachments

• boots1_mini.jpg
    boots1_mini.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 33
I personally know a lady who wrapped her cub around a windsock structure because her flip flops got entangled with the pedals. Needless to say she doesn't fly her that or her C-180 wearing them.

If I'm wearing flip flops (90% of the time I am) I kick them off as I sit down and fly barefoot, or put on a pair of fleece lined wool socks if I'm going high enough to get cold.

Below picture is for illustrative purposes of what sort of footwear not to wear. It is not posted for any other purpose.

3a67ebf382675c65575947b19ea2c4d9.jpg

:D

I'm just going to repeat this picture so I don't have to see the other pictures when I open up Tapatalk.

Hmmmm. footwear is rumored to have been a factor in a local plane crash up here. Not sure if it is true or not.

In the summer its going to be Flip Flops removed for me. My feet get too hot and I like to feel the rudders. Unless I am on my IFR check ride of course!! Then it is driving shoes!!

Back