Pre Solo Knowledge Test

scooter

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scooter
Any CFI willing to share the pre solo knowledge you use with pre solo students?

Thanks.

Not a CFI, but my word to you is "Trim". Trim for every airspeed, find and trim for 1.3 Vso at both dual and solo weights to use as appropriate on final, and use the throttle to control the glide path to keep the threshold stable near the middle of the up and down axis of the windshield. If it rises, add throttle, if it heads down reduce throttle; if throttle is closed, check for full flaps, either slip, slow down, or go around, as appropriate; or if the runway is long enough, just bleed off speed level over the runway and touch down long. Don't ever try to put the plane on the runway when it still wants to fly, that's how you break airplanes.

I just had questions on airplane to be used airspeeds, checklist, radio calls in the pattern, and a few regs on what a student can and can't do.

also a bonus question.... "What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?...."

I just had questions on airplane to be used airspeeds, checklist, radio calls in the pattern, and a few regs on what a student can and can't do.

also a bonus question.... "What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?...."

African or European?

Here you are...always a work in progress for me...and I often tweak it quite a bit depending on the circumstances.

http://www.angelldevelopment.com/pre-solo-written-2015.pdf

Nice, WRT 14, "What is minimum interval between fueling and sumping?" may be something you want to introduce, because it takes several minute for a small but significant amount of water to coalesce into the sump; sometimes up to half an hour depending on the plane.

Not a CFI, but my word to you is "Trim". Trim for every airspeed, find and trim for 1.3 Vso at both dual and solo weights to use as appropriate on final, and use the throttle to control the glide path to keep the threshold stable near the middle of the up and down axis of the windshield. If it rises, add throttle, if it heads down reduce throttle; if throttle is closed, check for full flaps, either slip, slow down, or go around, as appropriate; or if the runway is long enough, just bleed off speed level over the runway and touch down long. Don't ever try to put the plane on the runway when it still wants to fly, that's how you break airplanes.

WTF does this have to do with the thread?

Any CFI willing to share the pre solo knowledge you use with pre solo students?

Thanks.

Here's mine though it's written with a nontowered airport in mind.

It's open book and I give my students a POH as well as a copy of the FARs with the interesting regs already highlighted.

Attachments

• presolo test4.pdf
    57.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Most of the operational stuff like radio calls has already been demonstrated to the instructor and isn't really necessary on a written exam.

What IS necessary is the privileges and limitations of a student pilot flying solo. Like, what is required before flying to X Airport 35 miles away solo.

The one that my flight school uses has V speeds, medical certificate requirements, solo privileges, basic systems description, local airspace, frequencies, right of way rules, and some more stuff that I'm probably forgetting

My God that is a long runway! :rofl:

And it has a 1000 foot overrun at each end, in case it isn't long enough.

There is a flight school at KMER, a former SAC base built for B-52s, and all the locals like to joke about how many touch'n'goes they can do without turning.

And it has a 1000 foot overrun at each end, in case it isn't long enough.

There is a flight school at KMER, a former SAC base built for B-52s, and all the locals like to joke about how many touch'n'goes they can do without turning.

When someone is struggling to learn to land, I'll switch over to the big runway, then we'll get about 4 or 5 landing attempts in each run. After they touchdown, I take the controls and quickly get them back into the air and in a normal landing profile, then hand it back and have them try again. Saves a lot of time.

When someone is struggling to learn to land, I'll switch over to the big runway, then we'll get about 4 or 5 landing attempts in each run. After they touchdown, I take the controls and quickly get them back into the air and in a normal landing profile, then hand it back and have them try again. Saves a lot of time.

KCSM close to me has a 13,500 ft x 150 runway. It's uncontrolled on the weekends and fun to mess around on. When I was having issues with xwind I would do a low approach and stay align with the runway trying to cruise centerline a few feet off the pavement.

To the OP the presolo quiz I took was straight out of the Jeppeson book I think.

All good ideas. Yes, slow flight in dirty configuration a foot off the runway is a good way to practice the pre-landing experience without the overhead of flying the traffic pattern. Especially with the luxury of a 2-mile runway. :)

All good ideas. Yes, slow flight in dirty configuration a foot off the runway is a good way to practice the pre-landing experience without the overhead of flying the traffic pattern. Especially with the luxury of a 2-mile runway. :)

I find rolling the whole runway in landing attitude very useful in doing self checkouts in single seaters. It gives you a chance to burn in your target sight picture before you land your first one. Taxiing around is also good especially in a tail dragger.

Back