Pre-requisites for the MEI add-on (FARs)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Can someone point out the FAR(s) that states the pre-requisites I need to have checked off to be eligible to add Multi Engine Instructor to my certificate?

Especially the FAR that says 15 hours PIC.

I'm wanting to add to my FAR Reference knowledge so that if someone else asks me this question, I have the answer.

I know of §61.195, but not finding the specifics I'm hoping to find that lay it out like §61.103 and §61.109 do for Private Pilot.

Other than 61.183j, there really isn't much.

Note that the 15 hours PIC is category/class isn't MEI specific - it applies to all types of CFI certificates. However, the MEI is usually the first one where it actually matters.

Other than 61.183j, there really isn't much.

Note that the 15 hours PIC is category/class isn't MEI specific - it applies to all types of CFI certificates. However, the MEI is usually the first one where it actually matters.
Building on the concept to add to depth of understanding…

If I chose to add Single Engine Sea to my instructor certificate, I would need 15 hours PIC on floats….

If I chose to add Single Engine Sea to my instructor certificate, I would need 15 hours PIC on floats….
Building on the concept to add depth of understanding...

the FAA does not put “land” or “sea” classes on instructor certificates. ;)

No, there is no CFI - Airplane Single Engine Sea rating. Your CFI certificate right now says "Airplane Single Engine". If you add a seaplane rating onto your pilot certificate, you are now eligible to teach in a seaplane (61.195b). No minimum time requirement.

Can someone point out the FAR(s) that states the pre-requisites I need to have checked off to be eligible to add Multi Engine Instructor to my certificate?

Especially the FAR that says 15 hours PIC.

I'm wanting to add to my FAR Reference knowledge so that if someone else asks me this question, I have the answer.

I know of §61.195, but not finding the specifics I'm hoping to find that lay it out like §61.103 and §61.109 do for Private Pilot.

Mike, the prerequisites of every part 61 airman certificate are in the eligibility, aeronautical knowledge, flight proficiency, and aeronautical experience section of each subpart.

Back