Pre-buy in Houston

TexasAviation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexasAviation
I need a pre-buy inspection for a Cherokee in Houston. Any recommendations (or shops to avoid, for that matter?) The plane is at West Houston Airport.

Feel free to send me a PM.

I need a pre-buy inspection for a Cherokee in Houston. Any recommendations (or shops to avoid, for that matter?) The plane is at West Houston Airport.

Clifton Aero, Clifton, TX. Ask for Tim Talley. He owns the place. Good shop, and unlike a lot of mechanics, he does a pre-purchase inspections.

You looking at a Cherokee 180? Does the tail number end in R? If so, PM me. I had a prebuy done already. Might be able to save you some coin.

I'm gonna send you a PM with info on the guy who did my prebuy. A&P IA.... was very thorough and took lots of photos for me since I was out of state. Answered a bunch of my questions and was super helpful.

I'm sure Kristin's got good info too. If she's the same Kristin from the PiperForums, she's effing awesome.

Hopefully no one will mind if I revive this thread instead of starting another "Houston Pre-buy" thread.

I'm looking at an Aztec out of Houston Executive. Any recommendations for a pre-buy inspection?

Hopefully no one will mind if I revive this thread instead of starting another "Houston Pre-buy" thread.

I'm looking at an Aztec out of Houston Executive. Any recommendations for a pre-buy inspection?

There are enough things on an Aztec that can bite you if you don't get someone who really knows Aztecs. What model Aztec? I know that Tim Talley of Clifton Aero in Clifton, TX has been maintaining at least one Apache for the former CEO of American Airlines. He also knows how to do a pre-purchase inspection. John at Diamondaire in Kalispell, MT are the gurus, but not very convenient. I don't know if they travel for pre-buys. I talked to John a few months ago about his conversion kits when doing an article on the Aztecs for Piper Flyer magazine, but didn't ask him that question. If you are buying a top of the line Aztec, it might be worth bringing in an expert. If on the mid to lower end, I would suggest Tim Talley.

I might suggest you call Robert at Clem's Aircraft at Hooks. He does the work on a buddy's airplane, and he has great rates and is a great mechanic. Significantly cheaper than the shop I use, too.

Specific to your question, I can't recall what his familiarity with the Aztec is, but if he can't or shouldn't do it, he'll let you know. If he knows somebody else that would be better, he'll let you know that, too.

It sounds like you are making more than a minimal investment in the Aztec as you are going with an F model. Whenever the aircraft is complex, which an Aztec is, and the purchase price crowds or exceed $100K, IMO, it is worth getting someone who really knows the Aztec. The place to start is with a thorough logbook review as that can weed out a lot of aircraft for a more manageable cost. It also gives you a basis for making an offer contingent on the physical inspection. Ideally your expert can also fly the plane and check the systems. I would talk to Tim Talley and John Talmadge at Diamondaire. If I was planning to be in Texas in the near future, I would volunteer, but if you have to bring someone as far as I have to come, I would try for John first as he lives and breathes PA-23 all day every day.

Back