Practice practice practice

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
I know this topic comes up in this sub-forum from time-to-time, but I think it bears repeating.

Haven't flown an approach since mid-December. Have flown a bunch in VMC and flown on a couple of IFR flight plans, but no approaches.

Went to shoot some practice approaches today....

Wow. So rusty. My first one was pretty much a disaster... Granted, the time it takes to take off from our home field, get out of the SFRA and then start the approach is very quick (like five minutes from leaving the SFRA to the IAF). But still. I started out behind the airplane and had to fight to catch up. Thought I could just hit the FAF and start in on the approach, but nope. Flew through the FAC, reset, re-entered the hold and ended up doing ok after a couple of laps to get set up, but I started out so far behind the airplane.

Second and third approaches were ok. Felt like the rust had come off by the second one.

I guess the point is - I doesn't take too long to lose this perishable skill. I think I would have been sweating it if that first approach was in real IMC. Of course I would have had more than five minutes to set up for it. But still... makes me really appreciate the practice it takes to not only maintain currency, but also proficiency. I still don't feel proficient. Need to go up in a week and shoot a few more to feel confident.

Do you have access to a BATD/AATD?

Do you have access to a BATD/AATD

One of the schools has a BATD, but I don't know if you have to be enrolled there or if you can just use it.

Back