Practice Approaches Not Allowed?

Fair treatment doesn't start with a "D."

Don't you think the instructor should be perceptive enough to monitor the activity at the destination airport? If a full stop landing is the plan, go somewhere that doesn't have much traffic, and let commerce take its course, especially in an 85 kt 172.

Trapper John

Starts with a "D"...

Trapper John
Yup, sure does. "D"eviation.

BTW it was not a big deal at all and I was being tongue in cheek in my previous post (well, a little). I did the first half of my primary training at DET where there used to be a lot of freight traffic, and I'm used to the drill. What surprised me wasn't being told to go around, it's that the controller cleared me to land in the first place, knowing the speed of the other traffic. Personally I think the controller goofed, and Steven I'm sure you'll correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Anyway I did get a landing later on that night though it wasn't from anywhere near as nice an approach. :yinyang:

I wish people wouldn't be so quick to criticise my instructor for having me train in places like that. Seriously, of all the towered fields in the area FNT is probably the friendliest to instrument (and even primary) students and IR pilots trying to keep current. If he wanted me to learn at nice quiet fields he has exactly two to choose from that have ILS's: OZW and PHN. On my checkride I could very well be required to shoot the ILS at FNT or even PTK, so I can see my CFII's POV that I need to be able to deal with environments like that. It's for that reason that we settled on my flying precision approaches clean, though he's prefer I learn how to add 10 of flaps in the last 500 feet or so of the descent but before breaking out. I found it was too much at this stage in my training and decided to add the flaps after going visual. And that's why we were having me land from the approach for the first time at FNT which has a nice long runway in case it took me longer than we expected for me to configure the airplane for landing.

Last edited:
What are you trying to achieve with that?

A reason OTHER than his tail number for ATC to treat him poorly? :rofl:

For those who weren't around, Nick reserved N999NN a couple years ago... Yeah. "Podunk approach, November Niner Niner Niner November November, request flight following..." :rofl:

Nick, it appears you've let that reservation lapse?

A reason OTHER than his tail number for ATC to treat him poorly? :rofl:

For those who weren't around, Nick reserved N999NN a couple years ago... Yeah. "Podunk approach, November Niner Niner Niner November November, request flight following..." :rofl:

Nick, it appears you've let that reservation lapse?

Yeah. I need to re-reserve it though. It was nice to have a tail number to call my own, even if I'll never stamp it on anything :(

"Unable."

Then you wait for them to send the freight dog around, and then you say "Ok, now I can go around or land, which do you prefer?"
That will lead you into a lot of trouble. ATC gives arriving IFR aircraft priority over practice approaches in this situation. That's written in the AIM for pilots to read. See section 4-3-21: "The controller will control flights practicing instrument approaches so as to ensure that they do not disrupt the flow of arriving and departing itinerant IFR or VFR aircraft." While they may vector an arriving IFR aircraft to provide space for you to complete an approach ("The priority afforded itinerant aircraft over practice instrument approaches is not intended to be so rigidly applied that it causes grossly inefficient application of services. A minimum delay to itinerant traffic may be appropriate to allow an aircraft practicing an approach to complete that approach."), they are not required to break an itinerant arriving aircraft off its approach to oblige the aircraft performing the practice approach.

If you are truly "unable" to break off the approach for reasons such as impending weather penetration, an emergency, etc, that's one thing. Otherwise, if you tell them you really are "unable" to break it of, that may be reported to the FSDO, and the investigating Inspector may question your competence, which could lead to a 709 ride. If you refused to obey an ATC instruction just for your own convenience, they are likely to treat you as they did Chris Eden.

Back