Practical Use of ....

flightdoc5242

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flightdoc5242
So.. as I have been studying and learning for my instrument rating. these types of questions come up alot:

If the magnetic heading for aircraft 5 is maintained (MH=180) which ADF illustration would indicate the aircraft is on the 240 degree magnetic bearing TO the station.

...Now I understand the formula for these.. you have to calculate RELATIVE BEARING.. i use RB=(MB-MH) so the answer is 60 degrees..

Does this mean in short that if my aircraft heading is 180, and the Relative Bearing of the station is 60, I need to fly a heading of 60 to get to the station ?

if so... where does the 240 mag bearing come into play ??

I would like to have a applicable use of understanding when i go to take the written and not just memorize these...
So any help from you folks is appreciated!

Unless your airplane is ADF equipped, there's little practical application left for those questions.

Doing an ADF approach in a hefty crosswind, the need to do those in your head becomes much more clear. ;)

Best part of my Diamond with a G1000 is that it doesn't have an ADF!! :)

Most frustrating thing I had to sort out on my initial IFR test in a C182 several years ago.

FYI, the most recent bi-annual IFR re-certification in Canada is that, if you have a G1000 and an autopilot, you are expected to do MOST of the test with the autopilot. Have to hand-fly an ILS as well.

Marc

Rubber Boots + Muddy Hole = Muddy Boots

So.. as I have been studying and learning for my instrument rating. these types of questions come up alot:

If the magnetic heading for aircraft 5 is maintained (MH=180) which ADF illustration would indicate the aircraft is on the 240 degree magnetic bearing TO the station.

...Now I understand the formula for these.. you have to calculate RELATIVE BEARING.. i use RB=(MB-MH) so the answer is 60 degrees..

Does this mean in short that if my aircraft heading is 180, and the Relative Bearing of the station is 60, I need to fly a heading of 60 to get to the station ?

if so... where does the 240 mag bearing come into play ??

I would like to have a applicable use of understanding when i go to take the written and not just memorize these...
So any help from you folks is appreciated!

Magnetic Heading = current heading
Magnetic Bearing = heading you need to fly to get to the station
Relative Bearing = difference between the two.

So your current heading is 180
You need to fly a heading of 240
240-180 = 60. That's your relative bearing.

The other thing with relative bearing is it is always measured clockwise from your magnetic heading. So in this case you go from 180 clockwise to 240. That's a RB of 60. Now if it was flipped and your MH was 240 and your MB was 180, your RB will end up being 300 because you have to to go clockwise 300 degrees to go from 240 to 180.

Relative bearing, simply put, is the amount you need to turn in degrees (to the right) to fly to the navaid.

Make sense?

You are making my head spin! Learn this for the written test, and then brain dump it ASAP.

ADF is dirt simple, if you are lucky enough to have a RMI or bearing pointer superimposed on a compass rose. Then its "push the head, pull the tail" to get where you want. Without an RMI/bearing pointer you now have to impose the needle on your compass (DG) mentally. Once that relationship is established in your brain its easy, I promise!

You are making my head spin! Learn this for the written test, and then brain dump it ASAP.

ADF is dirt simple, if you are lucky enough to have a RMI or bearing pointer superimposed on a compass rose. Then its "push the head, pull the tail" to get where you want. Without an RMI/bearing pointer you now have to impose the needle on your compass (DG) mentally. Once that relationship is established in your brain its easy, I promise!

yes what he said. I miss my adf.

You and a lot of others get perturbed with these when you look at them like math problems. It's a visualization technique that uses a math analogy: MH + RB = MB to the station.

Start by visualizing the aircraft on a compass rose, your back to the center, ie, steady on your MH. The station lies to the right of the nose by the amount of degrees shown by your RB, in other words you add them: MH + RB. That's the basic "calculation" involved, hardly worth the distinction of being a "formula". It's more like a memory gouge.

dtuuri

Last edited:
You and a lot of others get perturbed with these when you look at them like math problems. It's a visualization technique that uses a math analogy: MH + RB = MH to the station.

Start by visualizing the aircraft on a compass rose, your back to the center, ie, steady on your MH. The station lies to the right of the nose by the amount of degrees shown by your RB, in other words you add them: MH + RB. That's the basic "calculation" involved, hardly worth the distinction of being a "formula". It's more like a memory gouge.

dtuuri
+1. That's how I answered ALL of those ADF relative bearing questions, just imagined the ADF with my DG superimposed on it. What heading do I need? Algebraic formulas are great when you need them, but for this they're overkill. Just visualize, or draw the durn DG.

I never do or did those calculations in the air. Filling out a nav log was all they were good for. In the air correction equals deflection and I can maintain any bearing to in any crosswind with that alone.

Put the desired bearing on the nose. Drift off? Turn to reintercept with a 30 degree turn. When back on take out 15 degrees and watch. Keep reducing the correction until the deflection matches the desired course. No math required.

My ADF still works. Really miss those approaches. Ah well, time and tide, and all that.

I have a working ADF, it usually gets a comment out of other pilots when they ride with me. My local airport even has some approaches that use it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

With the XM of course.... ESPN is always on in my Diamond :D

Back