Practical Implications of Light Signal Restriction

atbroome

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ATB
With the recent discussions of 3rd Class vs BasicMed as it relates to color vision, I have a practical question regarding the limits on the 3rd class for those that fail the color vision portion of the 3rd class (like me):

The no night flight is pretty clear. Due to my 3rd class medical restriction, I've never flown PIC at night after my initial training.

Now, what about the prohibition of flying by light gun signal? Does this mean that if I am flying and I lose my radio(s) I must fly to a non-towered airport to land? If I am approaching a towered airport that loses their ability to communicate via radio and I see a light gun, I must fly somewhere else?

Yes, I realize I should know the answer which is why I am asking/verifying since I am getting back to flying after a number of years off.

Frankly, in the few times I've headed NORDO into towered airports, I've never gotten a light gun. Frankly, I think it's a silly CYA clause on CAMI's part rather than having any operational significance. If I have an electrical failure and the towered airport is the safest answer, I'll use my emergency authority (if it even becomes an issue).

I've landed NORDO at IAD and MGW (the latter was indeed somewhat of an emergency). I've even departed NORDO from IAD.

With the recent discussions of 3rd Class vs BasicMed as it relates to color vision, I have a practical question regarding the limits on the 3rd class for those that fail the color vision portion of the 3rd class (like me):

The no night flight is pretty clear. Due to my 3rd class medical restriction, I've never flown PIC at night after my initial training.

Now, what about the prohibition of flying by light gun signal? Does this mean that if I am flying and I lose my radio(s) I must fly to a non-towered airport to land? If I am approaching a towered airport that loses their ability to communicate via radio and I see a light gun, I must fly somewhere else?

Yes, I realize I should know the answer which is why I am asking/verifying since I am getting back to flying after a number of years off.

I'm not real sure but I'm thinking one can do a demonstration with the FAA and prove they know what the signals/colors mean by demonstrating to the FAA inspector that you can differentiate between the signals and what they mean. I suppose it would be a waiver for color vision deficiency. Again, not sure but I have heard of this. It was at the Holiday Inn Express I stayed at so beware. :D

I'm not real sure but I'm thinking one can do a demonstration with the FAA and prove they know what the signals/colors mean by demonstrating to the FAA inspector that you can differentiate between the signals and what they mean. I suppose it would be a waiver for color vision deficiency. Again, not sure but I have heard of this. It was at the Holiday Inn Express I stayed at so beware. :D

Was that written in the stall right next to for a good time call ......

Next time you guys are at a towered field and they're not busy, ask for light gun simulation during your TNGs ... you'll be in for a surprise if you're flying mid day. All of the colors looked white as the tower cab at our field has tinting and a sun block. CFI also could not tell either (yes, we both pass our eye exams). Tower asked us to keep flying closer each circuit on the downwind until the final pass seemed like a tower buzz job (this was back in 2006).

Frankly, in the few times I've headed NORDO into towered airports, I've never gotten a light gun. Frankly, I think it's a silly CYA clause on CAMI's part rather than having any operational significance. If I have an electrical failure and the towered airport is the safest answer, I'll use my emergency authority (if it even becomes an issue).

I've landed NORDO at IAD and MGW (the latter was indeed somewhat of an emergency). I've even departed NORDO from IAD.
I can understand landing without a gun signal.. but takeoff??

Next time you guys are at a towered field and they're not busy, ask for light gun simulation during your TNGs ... you'll be in for a surprise if you're flying mid day. All of the colors looked white as the tower cab at our field has tinting and a sun block. CFI also could not tell either (yes, we both pass our eye exams). Tower asked us to keep flying closer each circuit on the downwind until the final pass seemed like a tower buzz job (this was back in 2006).
Hell, I've asked and can't even see the light light alone the color.

I think the biggest restriction is that you carry a charged handheld transceiver so you're never without a radio. I'm based at a Delta and I've been carrying one since the get go.

I think the biggest restriction is that you carry a charged handheld transceiver so you're never without a radio. I'm based at a Delta and I've been carrying one since the get go.

I do, but mainly because flying at night if you lose comms, you aren't going to have runway lights. I lost an alternator (disintegrated) and had the battery blow a few years ago and lost all electrical. Back then, my field had runways lights on all night.

Yea during the day I couldn't really tell a difference either.

I lost comms and didn't realize it (KX-170's, alternator failure) and just followed the last instruction from Approach. I got out my hand held when I didn't hear anything from tower and got a "cleared to land" about 50 feet off the runway.

Seriously I think there's a way to accomplish this. But I could be wrong. Nah, no way! :rofl:
There is, and pretty much as you describe it (I've done it). Go to a towered airport, meet up with the lady from the FAA, have the tower shoot lights as you stand halfway down a taxiway, and then pick out some colors on a chart in the pilot lounge. Assuming you can pass you get a letter, and the night and "by color signal control" restrictions (at least on my 3rd Class) are lifted. From very vague memory I think there is a more demanding requirement, perhaps involving a flight demonstration, for higher classes of medical.

I passed the light gun test and carry a SODA for defective color vision, but I've never been confident in my ability to see light gun signals in a NORDO situation. Years ago I had a complete electrical failure in my Mooney. I was on an IFR flight plan from Denver to Napa (in VFR conditions) and lost the electrics about 100NM from Napa. I called ATC and explained that I would be NORDO in about 5 minutes or so. I also told them about my light gun concerns. After coordinating with Napa tower, I was cleared to land on runway 24. After landing I called the tower and gave them a hearty thanks for helping me out!

I can understand landing without a gun signal.. but takeoff??
We had a plane that had a dead avionics bus and there's not really any maintenance for light aircraft at IAD. I called the control tower and arranged a direct exit from the field in advance.

I've previously departed from IAD with a dead transponder and that was even when their primary radar was non-functional as well which made me completely invisible to the tracon.

Back