Pponk with fuel injection

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
I have a 470 that has bendix injection already installed in my 182. Can I keep that system on when I overhaul and go to a pponk 520, or do I need to buy a carb and run it until approval, or try to amend the initial field approval? I called pponk and asked but they told me they haven't done a conversion to fuel injection in their shop, I know there are examples out there but I don't see anything recent, or know how the FAA bureaucracy works now a days.

I have a 470 that has bendix injection already installed in my 182. Can I keep that system on when I overhaul and go to a pponk 520, or do I need to buy a carb and run it until approval, or try to amend the initial field approval? I called pponk and asked but they told me they haven't done a conversion to fuel injection in their shop, I know there are examples out there but I don't see anything recent, or know how the FAA bureaucracy works now a days.
Paperwork-wise don't quite follow your question. Are you planning a Super Eagle conversion but then want to modify engine separately and add fuel-injection?

Also field approvals can't be ammended.

Yes I would like to do one in the next year or so, but I would hate to lose the fuel injection that is already installed.

I assume if I was able to, I could send the proposed changes to the fsdo to see if its approved before buying a motor and prop, then if approved I could have the shop buy the parts?

I know of a few Pponked 180s with Bendix FI. I don’t think you’ll have much trouble getting it approved with the engine upgrade. I’ve considered doing it but had little to gain. My engine doesn’t make ice. You might want to go with Texas Skyways’ version of the 0-520 to get 8.5:1 compression legally. With fuel injection you might like having the added efficiency.

Yes I considered that route as well, I have the R version and it'll need a crank anyway, so was going to look into buying a io520 outright for the conversion.

Yes I would like to do one in the next year or so, but I would hate to lose the fuel injection that is already installed.

I assume if I was able to, I could send the proposed changes to the fsdo to see if its approved before buying a motor and prop, then if approved I could have the shop buy the parts?
The easiest route would be if pponk assisted and approved the alteration via an STC revision or EO. Short of that all would depend on how your FSDO views the change.

If viewed as a major change to the pponk STC no field approval possible. If not and you have a good ASI willing to approve data and an IA willing to sign 337 you might make it.

Unfortunately not too many ASIs willing to sign off changes like that anymore, especially not without a full blown signed DER data package. But you could still ask.

Sit down with the IA you plan to use and work out a plan then go see the FSDO and find out. And definitely don't buy/start nothing on alteration until discuss with ASI and/or signed 337 in your hand.

Alaskan9974, are you in the Anchorage area? I can steer you to a couple of shops to talk to about your question.

Other references/clues about Bendix injection- STC SE1CE (engine) and SA108CE (airframe)

Not in Anchorage but I go through a lot, I found the email from Steve it was BJ custom motors that had done those pairings in the past. I was planning on stopping in their shop next time I head down to check out a overhauled 520 they listed.

Those are the STC's on my plane the previous owner used for the install, they are pretty obscure and outdated, precision airmotive owns it now.

Just an FYI on any fuel injection STCs. If I recall, PPonk stamps the engine data tag so any FI STC would have to include the PPonk model as an approved model. But I think Stewartb has pointed you in the right direction. Good luck!

Pponk provides a supplemental tag that attaches with the original data tag. It identifies a modification has been made but the engine retains the original data tag and ID number.

Pponk is an STC mod to a 470. Bendix is an STC mod to a 470. Compatibility if multiple modifications is up to the mechanic.

Pponk is an STC mod to a 470. Bendix is an STC mod to a 470. Compatibility if multiple modifications is up to the mechanic.
That's how I thought of it. I'm slowly finding info on newer conversions. The one I posted is my plane when it was originally done by the first owner.

Attachments

• IMG_4579.PNG
    IMG_4579.PNG
    614.2 KB · Views: 22
Back