PPL written test - need to know glass?

RobertSubnet

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Robert
Hello all. PPL student pilot here who trains in a "steam gauge" Cessna 172. I was just wondering: for the PPL written test will I need to know about PFD/MFD displays?

I have only sat behind glass panels once. If knowledge of "glass" is required for the written can I get by with what is in the PHAK or should my instructor take me up for some familiarization training?

Thanks!

There may be some questions on the general GPS knowledge. But unlikely to have anything centered around G1000, G500/600, or Aspen systems.

I trained in a C162 then a steam gauge 172 for my PPL. I don't remember many (if any) questions about glass panels for the written.

However, if you do decide to fly glass with a rental, be prepared to spend time learning the systems before you go up. And DEFINITELY don't take your checkride in a glass panel unless you are super confident about where everything is and what it does.

Not specifically glass but like AggieMike said, there might be something on GPS

Hello all. PPL student pilot here who trains in a "steam gauge" Cessna 172. I was just wondering: for the PPL written test will I need to know about PFD/MFD displays?

I have only sat behind glass panels once. If knowledge of "glass" is required for the written can I get by with what is in the PHAK or should my instructor take me up for some familiarization training?

Thanks!

Go to www.asa2fly.com and click on Resources, Updates. Know about RAIM and how many satellites are in the GPS constellation....really relevant stuff.

Then thank ASA by buying their test prep book.

Bob Gardner

Then purchase either "Say Again.." or "The Complete Private Pilot" .... Both really good books and I know the author will appreciate having another fan/follower.

If it's in the airplane that you're flying you probably should know something about it. We had brand new GTN-650s in all our club airplanes and I got a question on it during my checkride - how to use the GPS to find the nearest airport. I think a "no idea, I don't use that equipment" would have been acceptable, but I did know and showed her.

If it's in the airplane, you can be tested on it during your practical test, and can be failed for it if you don't know how to use it. In the particular example here, that's a bust of Task VII.B.2, IX.F.1, and probably several others. The special emphasis area on SRM also says
The applicant’s ability to utilize all the assets available in making a risk analysis to determine the safest course of action is essential for satisfactory performance.
Those assets include instrumentation inside the airplane as well as resources in radio contact (especially ATC and FSS -- but it may include a dispatcher).

But, the written test is being asked about and it has no idea what kind of airplane you fly.

If it's in the airplane that you're flying you probably should know something about it. We had brand new GTN-650s in all our club airplanes and I got a question on it during my checkride - how to use the GPS to find the nearest airport. I think a "no idea, I don't use that equipment" would have been acceptable, but I did know and showed her.

Not so sure. AFAIK, anything that's not placarded as INOP in the airplane is fair game for the DPE to ask you to demonstrate reasonable proficiency on. I was told that specifically, and that I should become familiar with everything in the plane I intended to checkride in.

Not so sure. AFAIK, anything that's not placarded as INOP in the airplane is fair game for the DPE to ask you to demonstrate reasonable proficiency on. I was told that specifically, and that I should become familiar with everything in the plane I intended to checkride in.

And if it's placarded inop, it had better have a logbook entry, too, or the airplane is not airworthy. That's not a bust, but rather a discontinuance. Still, an irritating and sometimes expensive issue.

Tempting as it may be, it's not a good idea to placard functional avionics as inop in order to avoid it on the practical test.

There are a few general questions about glass cockpits. Not many. Noting PFD/MFD specific. You can go to Gold Seal and take the quiz from the Conventional Instruments and Systems to see the questions. Quizzes are free, and I think that particular lesson is also free. www.OnlineGroundSchool.com.

I took the written last Friday and do not recall anything related to glass cockpits other than maybe the number of gps satellites related to 3D image or total God satellites in sky and minimum satellites visible at one time. The only other would be RAIM down scenario.

I can tell you this. I downloaded Dauntless study prep on iPad at recommendation of member post. The questions are exactly the same with the exception of maybe a few words and the answers are in different orders. If you study that until you consistently score 90% three times in a row you will be fine. Finished my test in 26 minutes with a 92%. Would have got a 96% if I actually went back and checked my answers. Intentionally did not do so as many have reported the ones they missed were ones they went back and changes. One more bit of advice. You get the entire FAA suplimental for your test. You would be surprised how many of the answers are actually listed right there in the suplimental

Back