PPL training schedule sanity check

ajmarks

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ajmarks
I'm considering training for my PPL using two 3-hour sessions a week with one session during the week and another on the weekend. Assuming averaging 2 hours of flight time and 1 hour of instruction/prep/review time, does anyone think this is too aggressive or put me at a high risk for burn-out? ..or maybe this is an "easy" schedule!

I'm using a part 61 school so most of my academic work for the knowledge test would be on my own time. I have a full-time, unrelated job, but it supports flexibility in my schedule.

Welcome to the board. Twice a week is good. 2 hours flight time may be a little much. If you have the money the more often you can fly the better.

I try to fly 2-3 times a week. My flight time is rarely over 1.5 hours. 2 hrs might be pushing it. But 2 times a week with a two hour block on the airplane is fine. Try it and see if you can handle it or not.

to start out, expect 1.5 hr of flying to wear you out. Better to go 3 times a week for slightly shortly flights.

Everyone's different, so the most important thing is probably to be self-aware and willing to adjust as necessary.

But, as other have said, you may find that shorter flights on three or four days a week will be better than two long flights a week. That worked better for me, and for most people I know. Especially when you're first starting out, it's a lot to take in, and there's often a point during the flight at which you're pretty much done learning. So, give it a shot and just be ready to adapt.

I agree with the above -- 2 hours of primary flight training at a time is a lot. Might work fine with someone young and fit, but probably not with the average middle-aged American. Otherwise, the plan sounds good.

I would recommend twice to three times a week also, but 1.0-1.3 at a time. 2 hours is a lot of time in the airplane for primary training.

On everything but the cross-country training, I found I reached mental saturation well before two hours per session. In retrospect, I also should have limited myself to three lessons per week to maximize effectiveness.

There was also a point in my training where I was struggling with landings, and weather and personal circumstances forced me to take a couple weeks off. When I came back, my landings were much improved. I concluded that I may have been obsessing on details, and gathering a little rust was just the thing to get me past it.

Two hours at a time may result in paying for more dual instruction before you're ready for the practical test, but if you can afford it, it's not unpleasant.

Ok, that's good info. I think I'll start with two 2 hr lesson blocks per week in the beginning and see how that goes. Like many have said, I can alway adjust as I go along. That seems like a good balance considering my situation and age (early 40s).

And don't overlook your homework. Home study is the single most effective way to reduce your overall training time and expense.

And don't overlook your homework. Home study is the single most effective way to reduce your overall training time and expense.

Plus 1 on that. Also chair flying. I do this just about every other day or so while jogging or doing something that doesn't take complete concentration. Go through the maneuvers in your head, go through radio calls in the pattern, radio calls to request flight following, radio calls to FSS, emergency procedures, etc. I've done one flight a week mostly, but on occasion 2 per week. I spent a lot of that down time reading (this forum among other things) and chair flying and I'm in a position where I'm happy with my time at checkride / cost ratio path thus far.

Two hours doing ground reference or pattern work during the summer sounds like torture to me. The most I did was 1.4 (excluding cross country) and I was wiped out. I fly in the south though so ymmv.

I'm considering training for my PPL using two 3-hour sessions a week with one session during the week and another on the weekend. Assuming averaging 2 hours of flight time and 1 hour of instruction/prep/review time, does anyone think this is too aggressive or put me at a high risk for burn-out? ..or maybe this is an "easy" schedule!

I'm using a part 61 school so most of my academic work for the knowledge test would be on my own time. I have a full-time, unrelated job, but it supports flexibility in my schedule.

I think you will want to fly more than you are planing. If you get burned out with twice a week for 3 hours, then you may not have the bug. :) I think you made a great choice. :yes:

edit: I did my training about the same as you are except I started with 1 flight every other week for a hour, then 1 flight a week for an hour, then went to 1 flight a week for 2 hours, then 2 flights a week for 2 hours. then 2 flights a week for as long as my CFII could withstand. Normally 2.5 hours but some at 3.5.

Last edited:
It also depends on the airport. If you're at a busy airport with a lot of time waiting to takeoff, 30 minutes of a two hour flight block may be spent on the ground. But I agree with others, early on, plan on more frequent, shorter flights.

When I learned I did 24 hours in 4 weeks. I was flying every day or 2. Just out of the army and not working yet. It was like a full time job. Studying, flying, ground inst.

If you really want to fly 2 hrs on a day I would plan a break in the middle to debrief. I had a few multi flight days and that really helps.

Good luck.

Dan
'79 Dakota

I read somewhere that the Air Force determined that something like an hour and a half of flight training was the maximum a student could handle per day. You certainly could be the exception. I know I was exhausted after a little more than an hour.

In any case, do what works for you. The goal is your certificate, not packing in the most training per day.

To add a little. Doing flying that involves steep turns and somewhat disorienting maneuvers until you get a little used to them, will make you want to keep your flight time shorter also.

Back