PPL Training plan

torombolo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ccaballero
Good day everyone and Happy Holidays!!
Im coming back since 2008 with the intent of getting my PPL, as you might guess, life, work and family took front seat before a PPL Certification, now Ive got that urge to finish this.
Anyway, Im planing on starting my training next year Im thinking of this as a plan let me know if Im going at it the wrong way.
1- I've started reading PHAK from FAA and a few other books to get myself some knowledge beforehand.
2- Do the complete groundschool, medical and written exam before flight training
3- Schedule my flight hour with a minimum of twice a week (Cessna 152)
** This one if more based on the economics but the real intent is to be cert on a 172 not sure how one progresses or gets certified from one aircraft to another.
4- Try to come with another plan for IFR

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions or rectifications

Definitely get your medical ASAP. You can do the ground school and take the written as you progress in your training. Looks like a good plan. Good luck.

What Jordan said. Make sure you're able to pass a medical first thing, so no roadblocks come up after training begins.

Don't worry about IFR at this point, focus on the PPL. Good luck!

If you go through and get your ppl in a 152, you will be certified for any single engine airplane (under 12,500lbs). Essentially you'll just need to go up with an instructor for about an hour if you want to rent a type of plane you have not flown before.

Good luck!

Good plan. Transitioning to the 172 from the 152 not difficult at all. Hell I did it! :D

Good plan. Transitioning to the 172 from the 152 not difficult at all. Hell I did it! :D

Or pretty much any other common trainer.

About the biggest differences are that you have to actually adjust the seat (not just back and down as far as it will go), and the fuel selector needs a little attention. V-speeds in a 172 are about 5 knots faster than a 152. Not a big deal.

Do make sure you can fit in a 152 (both size and weight) before using it to budget. It doesn't take much to overload them. I can only fly one solo or with a kid in the right seat.

At 5'10" and 183 lbs not really bulky hopefully will be fine. Started looking for the medical examiner, but in the FAA search there is 3 designee types (DMIR, DAR-F, AME) the only one with any results in PR was AME with only 7 hits. There is also 1st class and 2nd class rating per designee (which applies for PPL?)

Thanks in advance

1st and 2nd you don't need unless you want one them. 3rd class is what you need as a student pilot, anything higher is overkill and you can always get those later on anyway, if your need ever arises.

Last edited:
At 5'10" and 183 lbs not really bulky hopefully will be fine. Started looking for the medical examiner, but in the FAA search there is 3 designee types (DMIR, DAR-F, AME) the only one with any results in PR was AME with only 7 hits. There is also 1st class and 2nd class rating per designee (which applies for PPL?)

Thanks in advance
You only need a 3rd class as a PPL.

All 7 hits in Puerto Rico are either 1st or 2nd. Will have to do with that one. My guess more expensive and rigorous testing?

You can get a 3rd from anyone who can offer a 1st or 2nd. The difference between 2nd and 3rd is that 2nd has more vision testing requirements, its not and harder and reverts to 3rd class privs once the 12 months of 2nd class privs expires.

My AME actually charges less for 2nd than for 1st and 3rd because of what NetJets reimburses for 2nd class

you may already know this, but there are a host of disqualifying medical conditions, go through them carefully. if you get denied in your 3rd class medical, that's pretty much the end of your dreams (unless you can fight FAA and make them believe you are safe in the sky). ref: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response6/

if you have one, its not the end of the world, you might get a SI and have to go back every year so that they know your condition haven't deteriorated. the point is, you should know if you have one and if you do, you could look at doing a physical with the AME (not the official one, so don't submit your medxpress form yet) and pick his brain to see if there are any problems. from what I understand the latest 3rd class medical reform changes a few things, but that's for a different thread to discuss

Or pretty much any other common trainer.

About the biggest differences are that you have to actually adjust the seat (not just back and down as far as it will go), and the fuel selector needs a little attention. V-speeds in a 172 are about 5 knots faster than a 152. Not a big deal.

Do make sure you can fit in a 152 (both size and weight) before using it to budget. It doesn't take much to overload them. I can only fly one solo or with a kid in the right seat.
doesn't 152 have carb heat?

Definitely get your medical ASAP. You can do the ground school and take the written as you progress in your training. Looks like a good plan. Good luck.

Ummm careful. Here is why...

you may already know this, but there are a host of disqualifying medical conditions, go through them carefully. if you get denied in your 3rd class medical, that's pretty much the end of your dreams (unless you can fight FAA and make them believe you are safe in the sky). ref: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response6/

if you have one, its not the end of the world, you might get a SI and have to go back every year so that they know your condition haven't deteriorated. the point is, you should know if you have one and if you do, you could look at doing a physical with the AME (not the official one, so don't submit your medxpress form yet) and pick his brain to see if there are any problems. from what I understand the latest 3rd class medical reform changes a few things, but that's for a different thread to discuss

@WannFly has this kinda right. Read the stuff in the medical area here and if you have ANY question about a medical condition DO NOT APPLY before you have a PLAN on what will need to be provided to the FAA.

There's a really good post about this here, written by someone who paraphrased Doctor Bruce Chien - and Doc Bruce is THE best at this I've met in 20 years of being around aviation. My AME is good. Doc is outstanding.

Doc Bruce was the first person I've read who explained that one never applies to the FAA for anything medical UNTIL one KNOWS what the answer will be. Or at least knows the risks of a "no" answer.

For someone healthy with none of the listed conditions, one can walk into any AMEs office and walk out with a medical. Walmart.

For someone with ANY of the listed conditions STOP... and consult with an AME without applying through Medxpress, or retain Doc Bruce himself before even filling out the application.

The process most AMEs use is BACKWARD. They'll happily let you apply and start the clock ticking on giving the FAA information you have not gathered yet. Why do it? Gather FIRST and go in fully prepared to provide the required information UP FRONT.

FAA guidance is "Apply and we'll be in touch". Bruce points out that this is NOT the way to a smooth SI. He says, "Don't apply until you have everything documented and know what they'll want." And he's right.

"Get the medical DONE early" is correct for part of the answer. But if you have ANY of the medical conditions that trigger scrutiny by FAA that answer should also include, "Consult with a good AME before applying to FAA at all."

Do NOT start the MedXpress process if you think you won't meet the third class standard.

There are still OPTIONS available to you before you start the application. Once it's started, you've handed the ball to Aeromedical and if you don't hand them the documentation they will want to prove you're healthy enough to fly, you've triggered a back and forth that will be short on time and high on stress.

I used to say this because friends who are CFIs have had people who want to fly get caught in this mess. NOW as of today I say it because I was contacted by not one, but TWO potential student pilots who both needed guidance to avoid a lengthy Special Issuance process. One can avoid it. The other can't.

They may not be MY students down the road but they know I just passed my CFI and they came to me asking how to get started. They're referred to good hands as of a few hours ago and have the information they need to tackle their medicals.

I obviously can't share any more details, but CFIs are caught in a difficult spot here. We're the first people with any knowledge of the FAA medical process that any potential pilot will talk to. We owe it to them to point them to medical experts who will do the work up front, not as the letters trickle out of an overloaded FAA Medical staff in Oklahoma City.

But... we don't want to know your personal medical conditions. Really. We don't. We shouldn't really.

I swear I should write up a white paper to hand potential students on this topic with more time and thought about how to tread lightly -- but also that gives them some links and resources to look over and decide if they need to talk to an AME before the FAA application is started. The process is SO much better done up front than reactively to letters from OKC.

So yes. Get going on the medical if you're healthy and meet the standards. If not... STOP and assess with a medical expert who knows the FAA process.

WOW!!!! I have to say in only 20 post I have gathered a LOT of useful information. Thank you all for your suggestions, comments and follow trough. Flying community seems closer that I thought. Based on the list I have no known nor diagnosed conditions, I do have a recent medical clean bill although not as strict as FAA but for DOT and HAZ-MAT

Denverpilot that reply should be a sticky awesome advice and guides to follow

Last edited:
Ummm careful. Here is why...

@WannFly has this kinda right. Read the stuff in the medical area here and if you have ANY question about a medical condition DO NOT APPLY before you have a PLAN on what will need to be provided to the FAA.

There's a really good post about this here, written by someone who paraphrased Doctor Bruce Chien - and Doc Bruce is THE best at this I've met in 20 years of being around aviation. My AME is good. Doc is outstanding.

Doc Bruce was the first person I've read who explained that one never applies to the FAA for anything medical UNTIL one KNOWS what the answer will be. Or at least knows the risks of a "no" answer.

For someone healthy with none of the listed conditions, one can walk into any AMEs office and walk out with a medical. Walmart.

For someone with ANY of the listed conditions STOP... and consult with an AME without applying through Medxpress, or retain Doc Bruce himself before even filling out the application.

The process most AMEs use is BACKWARD. They'll happily let you apply and start the clock ticking on giving the FAA information you have not gathered yet. Why do it? Gather FIRST and go in fully prepared to provide the required information UP FRONT.

FAA guidance is "Apply and we'll be in touch". Bruce points out that this is NOT the way to a smooth SI. He says, "Don't apply until you have everything documented and know what they'll want." And he's right.

"Get the medical DONE early" is correct for part of the answer. But if you have ANY of the medical conditions that trigger scrutiny by FAA that answer should also include, "Consult with a good AME before applying to FAA at all."

Do NOT start the MedXpress process if you think you won't meet the third class standard.

There are still OPTIONS available to you before you start the application. Once it's started, you've handed the ball to Aeromedical and if you don't hand them the documentation they will want to prove you're healthy enough to fly, you've triggered a back and forth that will be short on time and high on stress.

I used to say this because friends who are CFIs have had people who want to fly get caught in this mess. NOW as of today I say it because I was contacted by not one, but TWO potential student pilots who both needed guidance to avoid a lengthy Special Issuance process. One can avoid it. The other can't.

They may not be MY students down the road but they know I just passed my CFI and they came to me asking how to get started. They're referred to good hands as of a few hours ago and have the information they need to tackle their medicals.

I obviously can't share any more details, but CFIs are caught in a difficult spot here. We're the first people with any knowledge of the FAA medical process that any potential pilot will talk to. We owe it to them to point them to medical experts who will do the work up front, not as the letters trickle out of an overloaded FAA Medical staff in Oklahoma City.

But... we don't want to know your personal medical conditions. Really. We don't. We shouldn't really.

I swear I should write up a white paper to hand potential students on this topic with more time and thought about how to tread lightly -- but also that gives them some links and resources to look over and decide if they need to talk to an AME before the FAA application is started. The process is SO much better done up front than reactively to letters from OKC.

So yes. Get going on the medical if you're healthy and meet the standards. If not... STOP and assess with a medical expert who knows the FAA process.
Edit. Wait until you know you can pass the medical and do it

1st and 2nd you don't need unless you want one them. 3rd class is what you need as a student pilot, anything higher is overkill and you can always get those later on anyway, if your need ever arises.
2nd class is so similar to 3rd that I wouldn't call it overkill. It costs the same and takes the same time. 1st class? That's overkill.

I've been getting 2nd Class every two years just because.

2nd class is so similar to 3rd that I wouldn't call it overkill. It costs the same and takes the same time. 1st class? That's overkill.

I've been getting 2nd Class every two years just because.

The general consensus I've heard is not to bother unless you need it. Flunk one of the "differences" for any medical higher than you need, and you're now "enjoying" being in the SI side of the system, for no real purpose.

Around here the AMEs all charge more for the 2nd and 1st anyway so you're also wasting money.

In other words: Only apply for what you actually need.

The general consensus I've heard is not to bother unless you need it. Flunk one of the "differences" for any medical higher than you need, and you're now "enjoying" being in the SI side of the system, for no real purpose.

Around here the AMEs all charge more for the 2nd and 1st anyway so you're also wasting money.

In other words: Only apply for what you actually need.
There is only one difference.

For second class, vision must be correctable to 20/20. For third, it's 20/40. There is no SI risk for blowing that if you measure 20/30. You just get the third class.

Honestly, I researched this before I did it....

If your local AMEs are charging more for that, they are ripping you off.

First is another story entirely.

Make sure you apply for the hard copy of the student pilot certificate. Those take awhile to arrive and will hold ya back from soloing if you wait to apply when you start flight training.

I agree, I should look into 3rd only since all Im looking for is PPL

There is only one difference.

For second class, vision must be correctable to 20/20. For third, it's 20/40. There is no SI risk for blowing that if you measure 20/30. You just get the third class.

Honestly, I researched this before I did it....

If your local AMEs are charging more for that, they are ripping you off.

First is another story entirely.

I hadn't checked but if that's all it is, cool.

Don't do it if you need a new glasses prescription then! Haha.

Make sure you apply for the hard copy of the student pilot certificate. Those take awhile to arrive and will hold ya back from soloing if you wait to apply when you start flight training.

It's the "welcome to IACRA" gift that keeps on giving! ;-)

I hadn't checked but if that's all it is, cool.

Don't do it if you need a new glasses prescription then! Haha.

It motivates a trip to the optometrist every other December. Which reminds me, I gotta do that. My medical expires Jan 30.

I can tell if I'm down to 20/40 pretty easily, though.

The only reason I do it is because one of these years, I'll get the CPL, and then I'm ready....as long as it's in the first year. It's essentially zero risk, zero cost, so why not?

It motivates a trip to the optometrist every other December. Which reminds me, I gotta do that. My medical expires Jan 30.

I can tell if I'm down to 20/40 pretty easily, though.

Yeah I'm overdue also. I usually do it in October.

Well Happy Holidays everyone, since my start date for training is still open and my medical should be scheduled in the next month or so, I have scheduled a Discovery Flight at Isla Grande to keep that vein open and continue to get pumped. :D One thing Im looking for and cannot find in Puerto Rico are discovery flights or schools on taildraggers, since I just have a thing for that type of aircraft.

I wouldn't really worry about passing the written and all that stuff before you even start flying, just get it done before your check ride, lots of that material will make tons more sense after you got some flying time.

I also would look into learning in a older tailwheel or glider, it'll probably cost you less and without a doubt will make you a better pilot.

Biggest thing is finding a good CFI.

I'd also read up on what happens for the physical, and make sure you're up to spec before you walk in the door.

Is the "PENDING" one sufficient for solo?

I submitted on 4/6/17, and I was wondering how long it took.

Don't think so. FAA has the date they're currently working on in the backlog on the top of their airman certification page, usually.

Same boat. I printed the temporary certificate from IACRA and assumed that would work until the permanent one comes. Will have to research.

Sorry it's sideways.

Attachments

• IMG_6976.JPG
    IMG_6976.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 8
Yeah sorry. I erred on the side of caution and couched it, because at the time I wasn't in a position to look it up.

Back