PPL training in/near OKC, OK

lonigan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lonigan
First off, I've lurked for a couple of months time. Enjoy reading and learning from all the people here.

I have had a long time dream of flying, and for our anniversary, my wife bought me a discovery flight. So, I'm hooked. It will be awhile before I can start training, but I wanted to start laying a framework now.

First up, any recommendations as far as schools or instructors in or near oklahoma city?

What can I do to prep prior to starting?

What should I look for in a flight school, instructor, and aircraft?

Any other tips, hints, tricks welcome. Thanks.

First off, I've lurked for a couple of months time. Enjoy reading and learning from all the people here.

I have had a long time dream of flying, and for our anniversary, my wife bought me a discovery flight. So, I'm hooked. It will be awhile before I can start training, but I wanted to start laying a framework now.

First up, any recommendations as far as schools or instructors in or near oklahoma city?

What should I look for in a flight school, instructor, and aircraft?

Any other tips, hints, tricks welcome. Thanks.

Welcome to PoA!

PoA's own RussR was my CFII when he was living here in Dayton. He moved to OKC recently and is a CFI at Sundance Airpark. He's a good instrument instructor, really knows his stuff. I can't really vouch for his teaching regarding standard Private-level stuff, though, but I've talked to a few of his students and they've seemed alright with him.

Prior to starting: You don't really have to do anything, but you could start reading the FAA handbooks (also useful when insomnia kicks in!) if you wanted to get a start on that front.

Flight school/instructor/aircraft: Like pretty much everything in aviation and life... it depends! When I was looking, proximity to home was my biggest driver. Quality equipment was a close second, and price was the last concern. Regarding instructors, interview a few and see if you mesh with them personally. That's a huge help to me. There's one instructor at my flight school that I don't really mesh well with, so anytime I fly with him I'm not really at ease, which makes learning frustrating at best.

Tips/hints/tricks: Enjoy the sights and keep the dirty side down!

"RussR" on our forum here is in your area. And a very good instructor.

There are some really good flying clubs in the OKC area. Unfortunately, I don't have any names or contact info, but Russ can help there.

Welcome to PoA!!!!!!

If you're anywhere near Chichasha, check with Mitch at www.chickashawings.com.

Also, right now, go download the free 70-page ebook at www.FreeFlyBook.com. It will answer any question you could have about training and includes introductions to all the basic aeronautical knowledge topics. No sign up, no email, just click and download. This is going to be your best source of first-step information.

I think I heard my name....

I teach out of Sundance airport, HSD, which is on the northwest side of town. We have a couple of beautiful Cherokees that we do most of our flight training in, and could certainly help you out to get your private certificate!

Feel free to PM me for more information, as well as my contact info if you like. I teach part time, nights and weekends mostly.

(I'm writing this from Oshkosh right now, so I apologize for any delay in replies.)

And I paid AJ and Aggie Mike to say those things. :)

Welcome to PoA!

There's one instructor at my flight school that I don't really mesh well with, so anytime I fly with him I'm not really at ease, which makes learning frustrating at best.

Tips/hints/tricks: Enjoy the sights and keep the dirty side down!

So don't fly with him anymore.

lonigan....Welcome.!!!

Everyone here has been in your shoes at one time or another. It can be frustrating at times but the end result is a great reward. You have started off on the right track at PoA.

Congratulations on taking your first flight! Flying is one of those things that you work hard at but it's funwork... or workfun. :D

Get on the FAA's website and download the Airplane Flying Handbook.

It's one of the many O-fficial flying manuals referred to by the FAA. Other manuals are on there as well, but the Airplane Flying Handbook is the one you start with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. RussR, pm inbound.

sent from Omicron Persei 8.

Back