PPL oral exam prep

Trcpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cjayfly1
What materials did you utilize to prep for the oral exam for your ppl checkride. Im reviewing the blue booklet and it’s the slowest and longest read ever. I thought about purchasing the king school practical exam but I’m hesitant to purchase the program? Looking to receive all tips and stories on how you accomplish your oral exam prep for the Private pilot exam. thank You!

That prep book is a waste of paper. Doesn't properly prepare you for how the exams are actually conducted.

Here is what I share on Reddit's r/flying

**Oral Exam preparation**
  1. Take the ACS and make a colored highlight in the corner of each page that deals with the oral examination questions. Usually Section 1.
  2. for the first pass, On each page/task, go line by line trying to identify where in the FAR’s or the various FAA handbooks you can find the answer. Make a note of that (such as FAR §61.113 for the question about private pilot privileges and limitations)
  3. After that first pass, do another one, this time creating an outline of simple “Spark Notes” or Cliff Notes” that provide the additional details to answer the question posed by that line.
  4. End result #1, you have now created your own study guide similar to this photo.
    HIYCoVr.jpg

5. End result #2, you now are much better equipped to be able to find the answer should you suffer brain vapor lock and cannot dig the answer out of long term memory.
  6. End result #3... hopefully this process will make you much better prepared for the exam as a whole because you put some good work into your preparation.

Appears all you have done is published your own version of the ACA Practical Test Prep.
“Good Luck - work what you know”, but some of your K1 notes isn’t what an examiner is going to ask and the responses are all rote.

For a private applicant the published test preps do a good job without the student doing his own research project.

Last edited:
i hold a Sport Cert. for my oral i had several study/oral training sessions with my CFI topped off with a mock oral with the school’s chief pilot. the DPE simply said in’Passed’ but I know I did well.

The take-away: Do however you best learn and sit for at least one mock oral.

I got the King prep but in hindsight it was really not necessary.

The most nerve wracking part was not knowing what to expect of the process while everyone just says “don’t worry about it” which is difficult to do.

…so don’t worry about it! Your CFI should know good and well if you are ready and if you will pass. It is really just a conversation.

I don't think there's any specific written prep that offers any value. You know your weaknesses, take those and gets a different CFI's perspective on them. Then go learn that, and go back and explain it to him/her. That includes any areas you missed on the written. Watch a mock checkride on the internet. There are a couple that are free. They aren't all the same, but it'll give you an idea. Be expected to answer judgement based questions as part of theoretical scenarios. They're not looking for rote answers, they're looking for understanding. Make sure your review the aircraft logbooks for all the appropriate recurring checks - and make sure they're done. Review your own logbook, to, and be ready to demonstrate all the minimums. Get plenty of sleep, don't stress it.

Back