PPL earned and lessons learned

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
A few weeks ago I shared some concerns I had about my flight school and my progress towards my PPL ("The closer I get to checkride, the further it feels", March 4, 2018). As you may recall, after about 60 hours of dual and 60 hours of solo, my second instructor at my old school kept finding things that we needed to work on. The process felt random and the instruction a bit disorganized.

The feedback that I got from this forum was to look for another instructor. And I did, at a different school. The new instructor and I went up for an evaluation flight and 1.5 hours and afterwards he told me to contact a DPE to schedule my checkride. And in the meantime, the new instructor and I went up a few more times to establish the 3 required hours for checkride prep and to get me familiarized with the new airport and its surrounding space.

Two weeks ago, I finally had my checkride. And in addition to be certifiable, I am now certificated.

Switching schools was the best thing I did. I found an awesome outfit at 06C and I was teamed up with an outstanding instructor: current airline pilot who still enjoys wearing his CFI hat when not flying for work. The new school itself is a well run and organized operation. I couldn't help compare it with my previous school that was disorganized to the point of neglect.

Working with a new instructor, who turned to be a very effective teacher, was reassuring. After our first evaluation flight, we debriefed for more than an hour, going over the practical tasks in the ACS. Basically, I was ready to meet all the requirements in a passable manner: some of my maneuvers were very good, some were ok, and the bottom line was that I was ready.

The checkride itself went quite well (well, I passed). The oral was thorough and I found that I was well prepared for it. The flight was interesting! I got a discontinuance due to an actual, real engine emergency: the oil temperature sensor failed an hour into the checkride. I had to make a precautionary landing at a nearby airport where a very helpful mechanic gave us a hand.

Looking at that oil temperature gauge redlining, was surreal. Is this really happening, to me? In the middle of my checkride? For a second I thought, I hoped that it was the DPE's doing to initiate an emergency simulation. "It's your airplane mate" he said, and asked "what will you do?"

Thankfully, by the time we discontinued I had covered just about everything except for short field landings, power-on and off stalls, steep turns, and s-turns. And a few days later the DPE and I went up again to complete the practical test.

As a newly-minted private pilot, I am looking forward to learning more. Get checked out in a different airplane. Become familiar with the G1000. Take a friend for a shoreline tour. Chart a course towards an instruments rating. Brush my night-flying skills with my instructor.'

At the same time, I am reflecting at the lessons learned from my switching to a new school:
  • if you feel there is something wrong with your current school or instructor, you may be right;
  • seek external perspective: post in this forum, talk to other students. You are not alone and there are people ready to offer helpful suggestions;
  • set realistic goals: in my case, I thought that after 60 hours of dual I should have been ready. I was and it now feels that the old school was just wasting my time;
  • find an instructor that you "click" with. A lot of my frustration could have been avoided if I had admitted to myself sooner, that my previous instructor was not a good fit for me.
Finally, I would like to say thank you to those who replied to my earlier post or messaged me directly, with helpful suggestions and encouragement. I was disappointed to the point of giving up. I am glad I reached out for assistance here.

Last edited:
Congrats! That’s an awesome story. Glad it worked out for you and so quickly.

Awesome @GreatLakesFlying !

And frankly... noticing the oil temp and making the precautionary landing was probably some significant part of the DPE knowing you were ready to handle PIC duties with passengers aboard ... and head you on into the next phase of learning and growing your experience.

In the end they’re looking for judgement. It’s pretty obvious when you show you’re willing to handle the emergency correctly and put it on the ground.

Not to take away from any of the other tough work you did in prep or the ACS checkboxes, just sayin’... exercising judgement as PIC goes a long way toward a “Congratulations” at the end of the Private ride.

Congrats Pilot!

Congratulations. Way to keep cool under pressure! that will save your life someday.

Congratulations. Even though your first school kept stringing you along, it did teach you fly well enough to pass the test.
Has the oil temperature been fine after the fix?

Congrats. Make sure you pass along your story to anyone you know at your old school. There may be others with a similar story who might need to make a change as well. Pay it forward, as folks like to say these days.

Congrats! Previous school and CFI might been stringing you along but apparently taught you well too. Give them some credit, a little at least. Well done, and congrats again.

Congratulations!

I also took a long time for my checkride - I think 110 hours, but I wasn't really concerned since it was all still flying time. In my case, I just couldn't get the sink rate right for engine outs, but it finally came together.

Now get out there and go places! There are new things to discover just over the horizon!

Congratulations. Even though your first school kept stringing you along, it did teach you fly well enough to pass the test.
Has the oil temperature been fine after the fix?

Fix?

Yes. Though we flew very conservatively from KDKB to 06C, i.e., no fast climbs and then 2100 RPM. The oil temperature was in the high-end of the green arc, but in the green. The DPE felt comfortable enough to administer the instruments part of the checkride on the way home, so we really accomplished quite a bit, before discontinuing.

At the FBO the airplane was taken into the shop and was found indeed to have a faulty sensor. That sensor was reading 50F higher than actual. So, redlining at 245F was actually 195F -- quite normal. Of course, we had no way knowing that at the time. As far as I was concerned I had an engine about to seize up at 3500 MSL, and barely within gliding distance of KDKB.

That runway number at DeKalb? That's the number of underwear pairs I felt I had to change! We landed on rwy 2!

Congrats! Previous school and CFI might been stringing you along but apparently taught you well too. Give them some credit, a little at least. Well done, and congrats again.

Absolutely! I credit my first instructor at the old school. He was great and he felt that I was ready for the CR back in October 2017. Then, he left to get married and start a job as a UA pilot out of Denver. The school switched me to another instructor and he wanted to re-train me on everything, with no end in sight. But my first instructor really did a great job and I am grateful to him for that.

Great story and awesome that you persevered and figured it out. It can be daunting to be in a world where you're the beginning and the student and you feel like something is wrong but you're not sure if you should say something. Glad you spoke up, sought advice, and got it done.

Congrats!

Absolutely! I credit my first instructor at the old school. He was great and he felt that I was ready for the CR back in October 2017. Then, he left to get married and start a job as a UA pilot out of Denver. The school switched me to another instructor and he wanted to re-train me on everything, with no end in sight. But my first instructor really did a great job and I am grateful to him for that.

Thanks for clarifying that. Glad it all came together and you're now a Pilot.

Great job and way to persevere. It can be frustrating but when you get past the obstacles it is that much sweeter. Congrats!!

This was very good to read. Thank you for sharing this experience :)

Whoo-hooooooooooo!!

Good experience...thank you gor sharing, was very interesting for me too. Im still before my solo, many people stress me out like "oh still not? I did a solo after 10hours" like im in a hurry...but i am not.

Good experience...thank you gor sharing, was very interesting for me too. Im still before my solo, many people stress me out like "oh still not? I did a solo after 10hours" like im in a hurry...but i am not.

Don't worry about soloing. I could take someone and do nothing but TO & landings and solo them in 5 hours. What good would that do if they stalled, didn't know how to execute a go-around, didn't know what to do if the engine quit, etc etc.

My students don't solo until maybe 15 hours or so. A lot of basics to cover first.

Thats why I don't do primary training. Its my way or the highway!

Back