Power on Stall?

You are lucky your examiner did not follow the PTS. Don't anyone count on that happening, because as noted above, the PTS is now more clear than ever on this point.

I wouldn't say I was "lucky" :D

Now that I think about it though I probably did do a full stall, it's all such a blur to try and remember that. The power on stall was the least of my worries!

In fact, it's probably more important to get the nose down in the lower performance fixed gear types since they have more parasite drag and will lose airspeed more rapidly. Go out with your instructor and try it to see what I mean -- establish a Vy climb, and pull the throttle. And do this at least 1500 AGL, please.

I was talking more about aggressively pushing over if the engine quit on climb out right after takeoff, as opposed to just releasing back pressure.

A positive assurance of getting that nose below the horizon to get best glide speed.

I was talking more about aggressively pushing over if the engine quit on climb out right after takeoff, as opposed to just releasing back pressure.

A positive assurance of getting that nose below the horizon to get best glide speed.
Correct.

Well the actual full stall part is the best part (on power on stalls anyway), so I don't mind demonstrating it.

We have not done a spin, and I don't think we will do one.

Why not? They're fun, and you really should experience one and the recovery so you have any idea of what to do if you spin on your own. Saying you will never put yourself into position to spin is only fooling yourself.

Why not? They're fun, and you really should experience one and the recovery so you have any idea of what to do if you spin on your own. Saying you will never put yourself into position to spin is only fooling yourself.

At my FBO they have a few steam gauge planes that are sometimes flown IFR so they won't let them be spun due to excessive wear and tear on the gyros. They also have a 162 and a G1000 172 that are not certified in the utility category and cannot be legally spun. I suspect many FBO's are in the same boat.

The rotating slipstream will normally result in a slightly AoA on the left wing root, starting the stall a bit sooner there. That will cause the left wing to drop in power-on stalls in airplanes with a RH rotating propeller, even if the ball is centered. The guy flying with the ball off to the right is actually in a bit of a skidding left turn, and that tends to negate the tendency to drop the left wing. The outside wing will stall first in a climbing turn. The instructor is better off understanding why the wing drops, and teaching the use of rudder to pick it up. Someday the student might get into a European airplane and have the ball off to the right as he enters a deliberate stall, and get himself into an unexpected spin because he's not in the habit of using rudder instead of made-up methods of keeping it level.

The OP's RH wing drop is probably from too much right rudder, or the airplane is misrigged.

Dan

At my FBO they have a few steam gauge planes that are sometimes flown IFR so they won't let them be spun due to excessive wear and tear on the gyros. They also have a 162 and a G1000 172 that are not certified in the utility category and cannot be legally spun. I suspect many FBO's are in the same boat.

The G1000 172 has a utility category but it requires the removal of the back seat to get the CG into it. A pain to do that just to do spins.

Dan

My spin awareness training (years ago) was in a C-150. No such problems. We tried it in a glider in the UK last year and for some reason couldn't get it to spin. So we did a loop or two. :D

Back