Potential Avionics upgrade path

Dan Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dgplo
I’m a VFR pilot with older IFR equipment in my plane. I’m looking to upgrade the panel and am no avionics expert. Current equipment:

Bendix king KI 209 Glide slope indicator.
King KI 208 VOR indicator.
KN 53 NAV.
MX 170C NAVCOM.
296 Dock Mounted Garmin Gps.
Vertical card Compass.
Sigtronics intercom.
KMA 20 Audio panel.
King Ky 197 digital flip flop com.

Was thinking of the following: keep the 170C and KN53 nav and dump the 197 and add the Garmin GPS 175 as well as the PSE Par200b audio panel/comm radio combo.

Another option…is dumping the 170c and KY197 and replacing with a used gns 430W 14v.

Am I on the right path? I plan to stay VFR through the year and most likely train for IFR in 1-2 years. plane is a Piper Cherokee 140 with upgraded 160 engine…

Last edited:
Got a pic?

You could pay the installation cost for the 430W now, then upgrade to IFD-440 later as it’s a slide-in replacement (1 hr labor using the existing 430W tray if all the wiring is there) and then resell the 430W. The IFD-440 will allow you to use an iPad with the free IFD-100 app as a second GPS unit so you’ll have a big screen, which can help with approaches and situational awareness...or distract you like it did me during training.

Save one of your old radios as navcom 2.

Save both indicators for each navcom.

Not familiar with that audio panel, bit if you can get more mileage out of it, why not. There are some altitude and warning annunciations on the IFD that should be wired up.

Last edited:
KMA 20 audio panel, King KY 197 with King 206 and King 209, TKM 170c Navcomm. Also have an old Garmin portable 296 gps hardwired

Was thinking of the following: keep the 170C, dump the 197 and add the Garmin GPS 175 as well as the PSE Par200b audio panel/comm radio combo.
You have 2 indicators but only 1 NAV source?

Also, do you have a GS coupled with the 170c?

How about replacing the 197 with a GNC355 and the 296 with an aera 660 and keep everything else?

Last edited:
I had a PAR 200B put in my 182 about 2 years ago. It's a great piece of equipment and I highly recommend it. The Bluetooth works so well that the boss can't even tell when I'm calling him from my plane.

You have 2 indicators but only 1 NAV source?

Also, do you have a GS coupled with the 170c?

How about replacing the 197 with a GNC355 and the 296 with an aera 660 and keep everything else?

Thanks for your response...I added the pertintent avionics to my post up above in my edit. The below is whats in the plane

KN 63 NAV.
MX 170C NAVCOM.
Vertical card Compass.
Sigtronics intercom.
KMA 20 Audio panel.

KN 63 NAV.
Do you mean KN53? KN63 is a remote DME.

I think I'd still give the same answer: replace KY197 with GNC355 and keep everything else with the possible exception of the 296. You could keep the 296 but I'm not sure it would add much beyond what the 355 would already be doing. An aera660 on the other hand, would complement it nicely.

One thing that could throw a wrench in that plan is panel space. It's a little hard to tell from the picture whether or not it's an issue. But if it is, then dumping the 197+KMA20 for a GPS175+PAR200 is a good choice. If you can afford a little bit more, then a GNX375+PAR200 would be even better since that gives you ADS-B traffic and weather (something a 430W by itself will not) as well as freeing up the transponder spot along with a pound or two of useful load. I'd still replace the 296 with a 660 either way.

I think your original plan sounds pretty good.

Do you mean KN53? KN63 is a remote DME.

I think I'd still give the same answer: replace KY197 with GNC355 and keep everything else with the possible exception of the 296. You could keep the 296 but I'm not sure it would add much beyond what the 355 would already be doing. An aera660 on the other hand, would complement it nicely.

One thing that could throw a wrench in that plan is panel space. It's a little hard to tell from the picture whether or not it's an issue. But if it is, then dumping the 197+KMA20 for a GPS175+PAR200 is a good choice. If you can afford a little bit more, then a GNX375+PAR200 would be even better since that gives you ADS-B traffic and weather (something a 430W by itself will not) as well as freeing up the transponder spot along with a pound or two of useful load. I'd still replace the 296 with a 660 either way.

correct — KN53 nav

Here's a couple before and after pictures of what I just did. I had outdated/non working IFR equipment. I had 1 of my KX-170 removed and replaced with a Garmin GNC355. Then had dual G5s installed.

Attachments

• IMG_3720.jpg
    IMG_3720.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-3321.jpg
    IMG-3321.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 44
That’s a nice upgrade. Depending on funds, I would like to add either G5’s or the aspen e5…

most likely train for IFR in 1-2 years
Might as well set it up for IFR now when you have the time (6 months back order on some components).

M2C
  • Bendix king KI 209 Glide slope indicator. Keep
  • King KI 208 VOR indicator. Keep
  • KN 53 NAV. Toss
  • MX 170C NAVCOM. Keep
  • 296 Dock Mounted Garmin Gps. Toss
  • Vertical card Compass. Keep
  • Sigtronics intercom. Keep
  • KMA 20 Audio panel. Keep
  • King Ky 197 digital flip flop com. Toss
ADD
  • GTX 345
  • GTN 650

When we first installed a GPS unit, the choices were a "good" used GNS 430w or the new GTN 650. Without having either one before, it was a challenging decision given the popularity of the GNS 430 units overall. Again, we weren't familiar with either and both had similar capabilities. Price favored the used GNS430 of course, but ultimately we chose the GTN 650. (later we upgraded to the GTN 750). After using the GTN units for some time, I had the opportunity to fly and use a GNS 430 in a friend's plane that needed to be transported. Wow, what a generational difference it was. It seemed to be like going from an IPad to a DOS computer. Maybe not that bad but you get my point. Any of the GTN units are really great and the touch screens are no issue in turbulence. JM

Good practical advice...I was afraid of what you stated above -- that while still a good unit, the 430's screen and interface would look ancient compared to the newer tech. I will avoid the 430...and go with the gps 175 coupled with a new audio panel and comm radio...

If you’re getting a GPS and a new com radio night as well get the 650 as it has both in same unit.

To add to the above REPLY, if you don’t need a VOR nav, the GARMIN GTN 355 is similar to the 175 and has a comm built in. The 650 has the larger screen plus the nav feature. They’re all great.

May not need Nav for VOR navigation, but you’ll need it for ILS approaches. And…. The 650 screen is small enough. I would want it over the smaller 175 sized screen.

I’m a VFR pilot with older IFR equipment in my plane. I’m looking to upgrade the panel and am no avionics expert. Current equipment:

KN 53 NAV.
MX 170C NAVCOM.
Vertical card Compass.
Sigtronics intercom.
KMA 20 Audio panel.

Was thinking of the following: keep the 170C and KN53 nav and dump the 197 and add the Garmin GPS 175 as well as the PSE Par200b audio panel/comm radio combo.

Another option…is dumping the 170c and KY197 and replacing with a used gns 430W 14v.

Am I on the right path? I plan to stay VFR through the year and most likely train for IFR in 1-2 years. plane is a Piper Cherokee 140 with upgraded 160 engine…
What plane is it? You can go to hangarflying.com and put all those instruments that have been recommended on your panel and get a first look at it.

Back