Possibly Your Big Chance

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
My CFI has decided to start looking for that C182 or C206. He has also authorized me to notify you that he is selling his Z42--the fully aerobatic Zlin in which I did my IR. The aircraft is wonderful to fly and lots of fun (even certified for outside loops). I need to get more details on it, but for now I can say that it is only about six years old, has about 400 hours TT and maybe 50 aerobatic time. Since it uses a Lyc 200-hp engine, it is reasonably economical to operate, too. (We always planned on 10 GPH.) The aircraft has TWO throttles and has an additional co-pilot side altimeter and ASI. He is really selling; not just thinking about it. He won't put it on the market until Jan, so this might be a good chance to get in early.

The Zlin in my avatar is the actual one he will be selling.

Last edited:
Ben, when reading about your IR taining I was struck by how unusual it must be to do such training in an aerobatic a/c. Seeing that picture of you wearing foggles in the Zlin is a crack up. Not you, mind you, but the oh so curious juxtapostion of IR in a aerobatic. I imagined you entering a hold inverted.

Richard said:
Ben, when reading about your IR taining I was struck by how unusual it must be to do such training in an aerobatic a/c. Seeing that picture of you wearing foggles in the Zlin is a crack up. Not you, mind you, but the oh so curious juxtapostion of IR in a aerobatic. I imagined you entering a hold inverted.
LOL--we did joke about that. You should have seen our unusual attitudes!

Someone's going to get lucky. Sure is pretty. Too bad I blew my budget on the custom paint for my rubber band powered balsa wood job already. :)

terry

Ghery said:
My wife would kill me, but it sure looks like fun...
Yeah, when you go missed you could pull vertical and into some kind of aerobatic maneuver. Your holds would drive ATC crazy since all they'd see would be an unmoving blip as you hang by the prop until EFC.:goofy:

Love to. In fact, I just brought in two partners into my Cherokee, so I even have some cash.

But.

The cash will go towards a partnership in an R44 when we find the right helicopter :yes:

RotaryWingBob said:
Love to. In fact, I just brought in two partners into my Cherokee, so I even have some cash.

But.

The cash will go towards a partnership in an R44 when we find the right helicopter :yes:

Bob,
How did you set up your partnership?

Paul Allen said:
Bob,
How did you set up your partnership?
Both of my aircraft are in partnerships, Paul. Each is owned by a corporation, and the partners own equal amounts of stock in the respective corporations.

Partnerships are very common at my home airport. I like them because you get most of the advantages of ownership, but your cost per hour is less and if you get in more than one partnership, you get a choice of aircraft.

The key thing, though, is that you have to have partners you can work with.

I love the Zlin 242L. Sliding canopy, ruggedly built, aerobatic, good looking. I remember when they were introduced in the U.S. in 1994 as tht's the year I started flying. The only issue, as every aircraft is a compromise, is the relatively slow cruise speed for a 200 HP aircraft. I think the cruise at 75% is 115 knots. Ben do I have this correct?

Anyway, they seem like wonderful airplanes and I'd love to fly one.

wangmyers said:
LOL--we did joke about that. You should have seen our unusual attitudes!
When I was shopping for an aerobatic airplane in 2000 I came across three Pitts S-2Bs (all owned by the same people for an airshow team or something) that were equipped for IFR flight and had ferry tanks that sat in the front seat. Hmmmm. I always wanted to fly a localizer inverted. I actually did (briefly) consider getting one of them, but then common sense prevailed.

Ken Ibold said:
I actually did (briefly) consider getting one of them, but then common sense prevailed.
Will we see common sense with you at Gaston's this year Ken? Tell her I said hello.

Cool plane Ben! Why don't you move this over to the classified Thread and perhaps you will get some others who are specifically looking. Perhaps its just the photo but boy that plane looks like it has a BIG elevator.

Anthony said:
I love the Zlin 242L. Sliding canopy, ruggedly built, aerobatic, good looking. I remember when they were introduced in the U.S. in 1994 as tht's the year I started flying. The only issue, as every aircraft is a compromise, is the relatively slow cruise speed for a 200 HP aircraft. I think the cruise at 75% is 115 knots. Ben do I have this correct?

Anyway, they seem like wonderful airplanes and I'd love to fly one.
Just about. We can squeeze a few more KTAS out of her at 7,000 and full everything, leaned like hell. But, as you note, everything is a compromise. She isn't designed for X-Cs, really. The cabin is so comfortable, and you feel like you are in a Maserati. She's really sweet and easy to fly, and the visibility is amazing, of course. The controls are light and harmonized, so aerobatics are easy on your arms and feet, and "standard" things like 20 knot crosswinds are quite easy in this bird.

AdamZ said:
Cool plane Ben! Why don't you move this over to the classified Thread and perhaps you will get some others who are specifically looking. Perhaps its just the photo but boy that plane looks like it has a BIG elevator.
It does have a big elevator, but not quite as much as that photo would have you believe.

Could someone help me move this thread?

Last edited:
Ken Ibold said:
When I was shopping for an aerobatic airplane in 2000 I came across three Pitts S-2Bs (all owned by the same people for an airshow team or something) that were equipped for IFR flight and had ferry tanks that sat in the front seat. Hmmmm. I always wanted to fly a localizer inverted. I actually did (briefly) consider getting one of them, but then common sense prevailed.

My IR instructor always talked about flying the inverted ILS...

wangmyers said:
The Zlin in my avatar is the actual one he will be selling.

What you didn't put in was an estimate of how much it would cost... I don't know much about Zlins but I have an awful feeling that it's out of my price range. I've got two partners and we are looking for a Citabra. Geting something that will do IFR would be such a bonus but unfortunally it's all about the money.

Missa

Missa said:
What you didn't put in was an estimate of how much it would cost... I don't know much about Zlins but I have an awful feeling that it's out of my price range.
Depending on times and equipment, I'd say it's somewhere around $120K, +/-$10K

Ken Ibold said:
Depending on times and equipment, I'd say it's somewhere around $120K, +/-$10K

So in other words WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY outta the price range...

Missa said:
What you didn't put in was an estimate of how much it would cost... I don't know much about Zlins but I have an awful feeling that it's out of my price range. I've got two partners and we are looking for a Citabra. Geting something that will do IFR would be such a bonus but unfortunally it's all about the money.

Missa
Zlin was great for IFR. I honestly don't know about the price, but if you are interested, please contact me for more details and I will refer you to my CFI. He'd be happy to give you a test flight, and I am SURE you would love it!

"N2 in the Green - - - - - - -CHECK!"

wangmyers said:
Zlin was great for IFR. I honestly don't know about the price, but if you are interested, please contact me for more details and I will refer you to my CFI. He'd be happy to give you a test flight, and I am SURE you would love it!

"N2 in the Green - - - - - - -CHECK!"

If Ken is anywhere close we're not even at the same airport... our budget is slightly better then 1/3 of Ken's estimation. But we think we can get a nice peice of Citabra for that... :D

Missa

Missa said:
If Ken is anywhere close we're not even at the same airport... our budget is slightly better then 1/3 of Ken's estimation. But we think we can get a nice peice of Citabra for that... :D

Missa
OK, yep--I think Ken is about right. Too bad! If you're in the area, you really should fly it anyway just to see what she's like!

Back