Possible Prop Strike

I've never seen prop strike damage to only one tip. but I haven't seen everything.

It's hard to bend a prop, even at the tip. If I suspected mine had been bent I'd take it to a prop shop to have pitch and tracking checked, but I'm an advocate for proper prop maintenance and guys on this site always shoot that down. The internet answer should be to beat it to shape and fly it til it hurts somebody. (Yes, I'm being facetious.)

I've never seen prop strike damage to only one tip. but I haven't seen everything.

That depends on whether or the first blade or the second blade is the one that decapitates and launches the taxi light...

Last edited:
A solo student pilot at my old flight school hit the runway at a nose-down attitude, bounced, and did a go-around. After a lap around the pattern he landed successfully, taxied in, and shutdown to discover just one of the prop tips was bent. It required an engine tear-down. This was on a two-blade C172.

It's hard to bend a prop, even at the tip. If I suspected mine had been bent I'd take it to a prop shop to have pitch and tracking checked, but I'm an advocate for proper prop maintenance and guys on this site always shoot that down. The internet answer should be to beat it to shape and fly it til it hurts somebody. (Yes, I'm being facetious.)
https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20060720X00975&key=1

This happened to a plane I use to rent. Weaknesses in the prop is definitely something to be concerned with.

Speaking as a retired A&P/IA, and one who has dressed many props,I can't determine whether it was sand or scraps of deteriorating concrete/asphalt from the ramp or taxiway. I find it difficult to make a conclusive determination of the cause of damage by looking at the photos. While they are the best evidence we have at this time leads me to believe abrasion was the cause of damage to the leading edge. Can't tell from the photos (3D would help) whether there was bending of the tips or not. If they were bent transition from grass to a paved runway may be a factor. That said, if it was hammered back into shape it was an illegal repair that A&P's are not authorized to do. Based on the photos, no dressing of the blades was done. Those ragged leading edges should have not been passed over by the least experienced mechanic who has a certificate. I do hope you can get to the bottom of this, but ferreting out the responsible person is going to be a chore to say the least.

In the days before tear-down inspections were required to satisfy the insurance companies we had a Bonanza owner who left the tow bar attached and started the plane. Yhe prop survived without a nick. Two tires on the powered tow bar did not. No harm, no foul. Our shop did not think it worthy of reporting to the feds. Do that today and your azz would likely be found in a sling.

Case #2: Back in the nineties a Twin Comanche customer of ours forgot the gear on approach. He nicely Q-tipped both props, went around and made a successful landing, went to his meeting, then flew back to his home base. Egg on his face for certain, but all that was required under the FAR's at that time was to dial the crank flanges for warpage. He really lucked out. Today, he would have violated and his insurance company would have to shelled out big bucks.

Times have changed and speaking only for myself I'm glad to be out from under the thumb of the feds. Those who were long-term feds while I was active knew both the regulations and the everyday reality They granted some leeway. Today's feds don't. They acknowledged things that contributed to safety even though they were not specified in the regs. While I have always had a good rapport I have noticed the change from education and enhancement of GA to the now omnipresent attitude of enforcement. I had one encounter with an inspector who was out to make a name for himself. I came out on the short end of that but it was of minor consequence. I hope he felt good about being an azz.

Sgt Schultz has had experiences with them. Some good, some of questionable merit.

Prop damage doesn't automatically qualify as a prop strike.

no. but ad 2004-10-14 makes it pretty clear if more than minor prop dressing is required, it is a prop strike.

Definition of Propeller Strike
(i) For the purposes of this AD, a propeller strike is defined as follows:

(1) Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, that requires repair to the propeller other than minor dressing of the blades.

bob

I dunno about that. I think you're seeing lighting variations. I can clearly see the orderly spaced ridges on the prop tip that occur when a single cut file is drawn across the workpiece at an angle.

Of course while that's OK for removing material quickly, most craftsman then change the file angle and remove the ridges for a smooth finished surface. That didn't occur here.

Looking again the lines in the paint. You may be right about the file. No swirls. Or use a less coarse file for finishing. Definitely someone who does not know how to use a file. At least they should have squared the end of the blade. Craftsmen are getting harder and harder to find.

This one only bent one tip. Instructor didn't catch a student pushing the stick forward on a bounced landing.
i-cZcWvMv-L.jpg

Your mechanic didn't do that. Even a bad A&P would have enough skills and tools to dress that prop. A little filling and spray paint and no one would ever know. That is a quick get it done in the field before I'm seen job.

Looking again the lines in the paint. You may be right about the file. No swirls. Or use a less coarse file for finishing. Definitely someone who does not know how to use a file. At least they should have squared the end of the blade. Craftsmen are getting harder and harder to find.

So are aircraft owners willing to pay for it! ;)

Back