Possible Instructor Change

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Friends - I've been working with a CFII for awhile now, and am starting to think the "chemistry" (for lack of a better word) isn't right. On a personal level, I really like my current instructor, but I'm concerned that the student-teacher relationship is not working as well as it should. I'm not quite ready to make a change, but want to explore other options before I make any decisions.

My sense is that the CFII community at my home airport is relatively small. I'd appreciate suggestions on how to approach other instructors to ask about doing a "get to know you" kind of flight and ask that they not discuss my interactions with them with my current instructor.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you!

Can't directly answer your question, but have you had a direct conversation with your current CFII on the issue? I had a couple of chats with my PP CFI when I thought we needed to make a couple of adjustments and it turned out to be a communication issue, once we got that sorted out it all worked pretty well.

Can't directly answer your question, but have you had a direct conversation with your current CFII on the issue? I had a couple of chats with my PP CFI when I thought we needed to make a couple of adjustments and it turned out to be a communication issue, once we got that sorted out it all worked pretty well.

Yeah, I have...a couple of times. I just think it may be that his teaching style and my learning style don't mesh. Or it could be that I'm just not cut-out to be an IFR pilot, but before I reach that unpleasant conclusion, I want to be sure I've looked at other options.

Making a CFI change is something that happens and if this instructor you have has been instructing long enough, they know it. Perhaps you can strike up conversations with these other instructors and see how the chemistry is and turn the conversation towards what you are struggling with to see if they show any interest in helping you. If so, you can ask for the "get to know you" flight and then go from there. Being straight up with your instructor without burning bridges is what I would do. Poor student-instructor relations just aren't conducive to effective learning so I'd definitely work this out before giving up on your training goal. It was many years ago, but I've been in a similar situation and it tarnished my interest in the end result (the new license/certificate!), but I just toughed it out. I was close to the end goal and it wouldn't have been smart to change so late in the process.

Yeah, I have...a couple of times. I just think it may be that his teaching style and my learning style don't mesh. Or it could be that I'm just not cut-out to be an IFR pilot, but before I reach that unpleasant conclusion, I want to be sure I've looked at other options.

I doubt it’s the latter. Your comment about nitpicking struck a chord. The criticism has to be backed up with what you did well on the building blocks that lead up to the new more complex task at hand.

“You missed X copying that clearance but you did A, B and C really well... and you can see how those things lead to doing X well with practice. We can fix this together.”

If you can’t show “the path” to the skill, and which things the student did well, they lose hope and confidence in your ability to teach.

Clearances are hard because of the many many ways you can do it. But solid examples and “try this way, does that seem fairly natural to you?” and letting the student figure out a system, is critical.

And as always don’t beat yourself up too much or talk to yourself in your head too negatively just because the last thing you heard from them was negative. It starts an endless loop on some personality types... “He says I’m doing well but hates everything I’m doing...” or “It’ll never be good enough for him...” which aren’t what the instructor said but many accidentally say it by thinking they were giving a “small” criticism after a “big” atta-boy or girl. People will just beat the crap out of themselves mentally until the next lesson sometimes. And the instructor doesn’t realize it.

Mine knew I’m that personality. I’d say “Man I screwed up that landing!”

“Yeah a little but you’ll fix it. Do YOU know what you did wrong?” And SHUT UP. Let that personality talk it out themselves. Coach toward the answer.

“Where were the ailerons after touchdown?”

Stuff like that. Very hard to be the consummate teacher 100% of the time but we have to try. Gettin’ paid, show up ready to teach!

Tell your instructor you'd like to do a flight or two with another instructor to get a different perspective. I did my IFR with the same CFI I did my private with. Great guy, good instructor but we were pretty tired of spending hours in a 172 together at one point so I did a couple flights with another instructor. Really was a good calibration that I didn't suck and I went back with a new perspective as to the input I was getting.

Friends - I've been working with a CFII for awhile now, and am starting to think the "chemistry" (for lack of a better word) isn't right. On a personal level, I really like my current instructor, but I'm concerned that the student-teacher relationship is not working as well as it should. I'm not quite ready to make a change, but want to explore other options before I make any decisions.

My sense is that the CFII community at my home airport is relatively small. I'd appreciate suggestions on how to approach other instructors to ask about doing a "get to know you" kind of flight and ask that they not discuss my interactions with them with my current instructor.

Thank you!
I'm thinking you are just not cut out to be an IFR pilot and should quit before you waste any more time and money.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?

Easiest thing to do is blame the instructor when things aren't going right, trust me, I've been there, IR training took longer than I expected, so I asked myself this question a few times, and the issue was me so I stuck with him. He was patient, I didn't really need a lot of correcting, I was my worst critic, he just told me sometimes things take a while to sink in. In the end I got a lot of actual experience, we went to an airport that was below mins so I could see what a real missed is like. It was good stuff.

I was the same as you, thinking I was never going to get it, he would just point stuff out and push me when necessary. Most of it for me was confidence, once I really relaxed in the cockpit, things clicked quickly. I can't stress this enough. If you expect to screw up, you will. In fact as a fledgling instrument pilot, you will screw up. The key is to be safe, recognize and fix things quickly. Stumbling on the radio is not really a screw up, I've heard enough controllers mess up and I've had controllers just ignore my stumbling and help me out.

At the end of the day, single pilot IFR, you are it. And my instructor told me this, if something doesn't go right, shake it off, fix it, and focus on the next thing that needs to be done. And, if you are sitting there fat dumb and happy, you probably should be doing something, remember that. Confidence is key, sounds like you are nearing the end of the training if he is nit picking, just fix what he wants and get the check ride done. Keep studying and chair flying.

I doubt it’s the latter. Your comment about nitpicking struck a chord. The criticism has to be backed up with what you did well on the building blocks that lead up to the new more complex task at hand.

It just feels like what I'm hearing is, "you effed-up A,B,C,D blah, blah, blah." Now I'm sure there are some positive comments in there, but at this point my goal seems to be to avoid hearing what I effed-up rather than learning something new in each lesson. That's getting me discouraged.

“You missed X copying that clearance but you did A, B and C really well... and you can see how those things lead to doing X well with practice. We can fix this together.” If you can’t show “the path” to the skill, and which things the student did well, they lose hope and confidence in your ability to teach.

You're picking up on my other thread. Perceptive. It's not just the clearance issue. That's something I can fix by listening to live ATC or working with Pilot Edge. Overall, I'm not getting the "we can fix this together comment." Rather, it's more along the lines of, "you know this...we've talked about it many times." I end up thinking that all he left out at the end of the sentence was, "...dummy."

And as always don’t beat yourself up too much or talk to yourself in your head too negatively just because the last thing you heard from them was negative. It starts an endless loop on some personality types... “He says I’m doing well but hates everything I’m doing...” or “It’ll never be good enough for him...” which aren’t what the instructor said but many accidentally say it by thinking they were giving a “small” criticism after a “big” atta-boy or girl. People will just beat the crap out of themselves mentally until the next lesson sometimes. And the instructor doesn’t realize it.

That's exactly what's happening. I'm deep in my head, and rather than looking forward to learning a new skill, I'm worrying about not making mistakes. Honestly, it kept me awake last night as I was thinking about today's lesson.

“Yeah a little but you’ll fix it. Do YOU know what you did wrong?” And SHUT UP. Let that personality talk it out themselves. Coach toward the answer.

In fairness to him, I think he tries that, but what I hear is, "you effed up and you know what you did wrong. We've discussed this.

Gettin’ paid, show up ready to teach!

And he does, every time. But something isn't clicking. That's the problem. :mad2:

I'm thinking you are just not cut out to be an IFR pilot and should quit before you waste any more time and money.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?

Not sure what you mean. Can you explain a little...?

Easiest thing to do is blame the instructor when things aren't going right, trust me, I've been there, IR training took longer than I expected, so I asked myself this question a few times, and the issue was me so I stuck with him.

But at what point do you trust that voice in the back of your head that's saying, "something isn't working here...?"

IFR was the hardest thing I've done in the last 20 years. I honestly thought I was throwing money out the window right up to my checkride. I had the worst day flying two days before the checkride, it was like everything I learned stopped working. Point being, don't beat yourself up too much, it's hard. On the instructor chemistry point, I'd just make sure you can articulate what you are looking for so that when you meet with another instructor, it can be a fact based conversation rather than "chemistry".

The one other thing I would add is my IFR instructor added new stuff so quickly, that I didn't realize how much I had learned. I felt behind the whole time. Once we got to checkride prep, I realized just how much I had learned, and how it was just something I knew how to do. I did an accelerated course and was stressed out for the whole 8 days, but I did finally get it and feel comfortable single pilot IFR in actual and am not sure why it seemed so hard at the time.

Point being, don't give up on IFR, it's hard for most people.

I never trust voices in my head. They never say anything nice to me. LOL

It kinda sounds like it might not be all your instructor - you sound very self-critical, which is good, I think, in moderation. My instructor could and has spent an hour and a half of lesson commenting on how well I am doing at whatever she tells me to do, but when I am driving home, the only things I will remember are the comments she made when I screwed up. I know that I do this, though, and force myself to remember the positive stuff. Unless your instructor is really grumpy, he probably said at least something nice. :)

If worrying about what your instructor is thinking is tripping you up, something you might try is pretending the instructor isn't in the plane. I fly way better and recognize/fix mistakes, etc., a lot faster when I pretend my instructor is a passenger who doesn't know what I am supposed to be doing.

Thank you!

What airport are you at?

Good luck winding your way through. I've lined up 3 instructors and told them all I'll be using more than one. It might cost me a tiny bit more, but I can easily drop 2 of them if I don't think they are adding value and go with the one that works best.

I never trust voices in my head. They never say anything nice to me. LOL

It kinda sounds like it might not be all your instructor - you sound very self-critical, which is good, I think, in moderation. My instructor could and has spent an hour and a half of lesson commenting on how well I am doing at whatever she tells me to do, but when I am driving home, the only things I will remember are the comments she made when I screwed up. I know that I do this, though, and force myself to remember the positive stuff. Unless your instructor is really grumpy, he probably said at least something nice. :)

If worrying about what your instructor is thinking is tripping you up, something you might try is pretending the instructor isn't in the plane. I fly way better and recognize/fix mistakes, etc., a lot faster when I pretend my instructor is a passenger who doesn't know what I am supposed to be doing.

I am, and I've examined that issue carefully, and I think it's fair to say that's it's not a question of me beating myself up. Rather, it's an issue of feeling like all I'm getting is criticism, and even if they are being made, not hearing "atta boys." I know I make mistakes, and I want to learn from those mistakes. However, I have to believe that in 90 minutes or so of being in the plane, that something was praiseworthy. Something? Anything? Instead, I spend 90 minutes (a) not wanting to make mistakes, and (b) dreading what follows when we're on the ground. I'd rather be spending 90 minutes thinking, "OK, what am I learning today? What have I effed up, what did I do wrong and how do I do it better next time?"

Good luck winding your way through. I've lined up 3 instructors and told them all I'll be using more than one. It might cost me a tiny bit more, but I can easily drop 2 of them if I don't think they are adding value and go with the one that works best.

I'm curious about this. Tell me more about why you've decided to use three instructors, if you don't mind.

I'm curious about this. Tell me more about why you've decided to use three instructors, if you don't mind.
I’ve had rotten luck with instructors and 1. Maybe one will be great 2. Maybe I’ll learn different things from each. 3. Telling them up front I won’t feel bad if I decide to drop one or two. 4. I happened to meet two in the last two weeks and I knew one already.

This is wisdom beyond your total time. I hope the OP takes it to heart.

Op,

My first flight instructor was a former army guy who worked at northrop. He had ungodly numbers of hours; old country boy. Short tempered. Grumpy the dwarf.

He became so irate at times he would bang on the yoke...and he was a yeller, on top of being an ia and former dpe.

I came to find out later one of his daughters refused to learn to fly because of his teaching style.

Quitting him was also hard as he had said some negative things to other instructors about me.

End result? It was hard for a while. I was young. He and i became great friends. I loved him and his wife, understood him, found out about his cancer and eventually attended his funeral and helped bury him.

Along the way I met Foghorn Leghorn, who took me under his wing and is still alive and instructing me today.

Instructors sometimes get prideful, owner-y, stubborn, overly critical, whatever. Those relationships can be transactional or commercial; for me Foghorn is like my dad. My Mooney instructor is a good friend. Other instructors I’ve used are people I respect or enjoy. Sometimes it’s like a marriage. If it isn’t working, go live a happy life elsewhere.

By gawd please don’t approach other instructors and ask them to keep your little secret. That puts them in a horrible bind, is childish and can be very badly perceived not to mention you’re tarnishing his reputation. Just go try other instructors to get a different perspective on your skills; if they say you suck, maybe your instructor has a point and you need more help to no longer be remedial.

Somewhere out there is an instructor for you that will help you get your tickets. Find them and fly safe and happy.

I am, and I've examined that issue carefully, and I think it's fair to say that's it's not a question of me beating myself up. Rather, it's an issue of feeling like all I'm getting is criticism, and even if they are being made, not hearing "atta boys." I know I make mistakes, and I want to learn from those mistakes. However, I have to believe that in 90 minutes or so of being in the plane, that something was praiseworthy. Something? Anything? Instead, I spend 90 minutes (a) not wanting to make mistakes, and (b) dreading what follows when we're on the ground. I'd rather be spending 90 minutes thinking, "OK, what am I learning today? What have I effed up, what did I do wrong and how do I do it better next time?"

Take this all with a grain of salt, as I don't even have thirty hours yet. Your instructor may not think to praise you when you consistently do something well. When you mess up and feel like your instructor is just critizing you, do you know what you are doing, why and how? I find it extremely helpful to be able to say - I could have done better at X, Y, and Z (and here's how), but according to standards, I did well. I am skilled at giving myself a lecture to keep my perfectionism in check, because it can become a real issue. Holding yourself to unrealistic standards can influence your perception of what your instructor is saying, too, because you are going to place more weight on everything he calls out as wrong since it jives with what you are thinking about your performance. Maybe you could record one of your lessons, and then go through amd write down every time your instructor said something positive to help you focus on those things.

Something else that helps me - when I am in the air, I refuse to think about what happens after I land for the last time that day. If I am doing a steep turn, and I am climbing with too shallow of a bank, I fix it, but don't let myself think about it. When I screw up, I file that information and emotion away for reflection when I am done with the lesson. There's a lot to think about on the ground, but the Hobbs meter isn't spinning in the FBO! :) What exactly happens when you get on the ground that you dread so much? Is there any way to mitigate that dread?

Just one more voice adding to the chorus of "be honest and open with your current flight instructor" and "do NOT ask anyone else for confidentiality." No need to do anything behind anyone's back. Most likely, as others have already hinted, it's an easily cleared up communication issue between you and your current instructor. Or....he's as frustrated as you are and would like some help getting you over the hump. Heck, he might appreciate you trying someone else for a bit or for good. Just be open and honest. Do NOT give up.

It’s your training. Do what’s best for you and don’t worry about it at all. Just be professional in your interactions and let it be...

Well...do you want an instructor that tells you that you are wonderful and lets you keep repeating mistakes ? IFR requires more concentration and it is the instructor's job to keep you sharp and safe. If you feel he is too tough, try a lesson with a different instructor for a comparison. On my instrument check ride, the examiner was on my case from the time I cranked the engine until I landed...an ex air force pilot....he wanted to see how I performed under pressure..I even asked him to be quiet at one point during an approach....I passed.

My IFR instructor and I also had challenges. In retrospect we should have parted ways. That was a big lesson to me that not every student/ teacher leaning style will work.

Not sure what you mean. Can you explain a little...?
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

All I meant was that you shouldn't allow a personality issue between you and a CFII indicate that you are not cut out to be an IFR pilot. IFR training is difficult and everyone learns differently. Many fine IFR pilots quit because they felt they couldn't do it, but eventually took up with another CFII and was able to make the grade.

Don't give up on yourself too easily.

Well...do you want an instructor that tells you that you are wonderful and lets you keep repeating mistakes ?

That's a fair point, and the answer is, "no." I'll give you an example. I've been having trouble staying on the glide path. Too high. Too low. So the other day I absolutely nailed it. Came down the glide path pretty much like I was on a rail. However, the landing was a bit sketchy. Clunk! Nothing horrible...no pieces of the plane left on the runway, but not one of my better landings. So, what was the topic of discussion? Not something like, "hey, nice job on the glide path. You seem to be figuring out power settings..." Instead it was, "do you know why the landing was bad? You didn't do this, and you did that too late, and you should have waited to..." And I remember taxiing back to the hangar thinking, "what the "eff" do I need to do to hear something positive?"

I don't need to be patted on the head and told, "you're wonderful" all the time, but it would increase my confidence and eagerness to continue the training to hear something positive now and then when its deserved. Right now, I'm discouraged, deflated, and am questioning myself. I have another lesson on the books for next weekend, and honestly, I'm kinda dreading it.

My IFR instructor and I also had challenges. In retrospect we should have parted ways. That was a big lesson to me that not every student/ teacher leaning style will work.

I'm starting to think that's what's happening here...my learning style just isn't meshing with his teaching style. He's a really nice guy, and on a personal level I really like him, but I'm starting to question whether he and I are a good student/teacher "fit."

That's a fair point, and the answer is, "no." I'll give you an example. I've been having trouble staying on the glide path. Too high. Too low. So the other day I absolutely nailed it. Came down the glide path pretty much like I was on a rail. However, the landing was a bit sketchy. Clunk! Nothing horrible...no pieces of the plane left on the runway, but not one of my better landings. So, what was the topic of discussion? Not something like, "hey, nice job on the glide path. You seem to be figuring out power settings..." Instead it was, "do you know why the landing was bad? You didn't do this, and you did that too late, and you should have waited to..." And I remember taxiing back to the hangar thinking, "what the "eff" do I need to do to hear something positive?"

I don't need to be patted on the head and told, "you're wonderful" all the time, but it would increase my confidence and eagerness to continue the training to hear something positive now and then when its deserved. Right now, I'm discouraged, deflated, and am questioning myself. I have another lesson on the books for next weekend, and honestly, I'm kinda dreading it.

I'm not sure another instructor is going to help. The issue I have with changing instructors is it's going to take a while, hours, for him to figure out where you are and to make sure you know what you need to know. It takes some time for an instructor to trust you.

My take on this is that you are close and your instructor is polishing you up. Listen to what he says, if you don't have a good landing, tell him you want to taxi back and end on a good note.

You are paying someone to train you, not blow smoke up your ass. I told you in my last post confidence is important, it is. Also, when I was training I was expecting perfection out of myself, when I didn't get it I wasn't happy. Then I figured out that while striving for perfection is important, getting dejected because I wasn't perfect was killing my performance for the rest of the flight, you really have to shake it off, both in training and real life flying when the instructor isn't there to save you. Within the test standards is far from perfect, but well within safe parameters. Remember that while you work to improve.

Same here. I almost pushed him out the door at 1200 AGL but the cherokee only has 1 door and I can't reach to open it.That was a year ago, haven't restarted. I'm thinking of accelerated course this fall, but I need to pass the written...again....Just don't have time right now to study. Not going to install GPS until after I pass the instrument.

This sounds a lot like my glider add-on instructor. I really felt negative after every flight. I finally figured out that if I tell him exactly what I'm doing and why he yelled less because he understood I was in control, just making slightly different decisions than he might. When I wasn't talking to him, he'd be complaining about why I threw out the spoilers early because I noticed something that made me want to make a tight pattern, but I didn't tell him.... That sort of thing....

That *might* not be applicable here. Frankly, I still didn't like the instructor, but we made it through my check ride, and I learned what I needed to learn. But maybe if you talked through the mistakes you made real time, he wouldn't feel like pointing them all out?

To no responder in particular.

A good instructor is one who understands they have a carrot and a stick and they know when to use the right tool at the right time and they know how to get a student to progress in whatever rating they're trying to achieve. Constant praise likely isn't helpful nor is constant criticism.

If you're not getting what you want out of your instructor find another. As I suggested earlier, just give a couple others a try. If you can pick a day to try one that you know your current instructor isn't available. "You weren't around so I flew with Bill".

I'm not a CFI or a CFII but I was an instructor in the Navy and taking a young Aviator to the boat day and night in the fighting drumstick after doing a few dozen FCLPS with them over a couple months you learn that a student rarely has all bad or all good days nor do they even have events that are all good or bad.(
https://www.public.navy.mil/usff/environmental/Pages/aircrafttraining.aspx) It was important to me to make sure they learned as I had no stick on my side of the jet but I did have an upper AND lower ejection handle and he was going with me. :D

This aviation learning thing is a journey and all journeys have some bad roads at times. I'm not paying $60 an hour to be abused even if I learn along the way. Too many good instructors out there that I also want to spend time 4" from.

My 2¢...

There are two things in your comments that caught my eye, "Off and on (lots of "off") for a couple of years." and multiple times you said what amounted to "learning something new". IMO IR training is going to require an commitment from you. Get a syllabus and follow it. Make sure you're flying at least once a week and preferably two to three times a week. I totally get you want to move on and learn new things if you have been at it a couple of years, but you will need to be proficient at what you have already learned because the knowledge and skills are additive as you progress. For example, it makes no sense to introduce an ILS approach if you're struggling to maintain straight and level. If you're not able to fly frequently then you really should table the IR until you have the time otherwise I think you will be frustrated with any instructor.

Blue Skies!

Not every student and instructor is a match made in heaven...I am not saying that there are not instructors that should not be teaching...some are terrible. Get used to criticism...If you have a tough instructor, you will become a better pilot in the long run.

Follow-up...

So yesterday I asked my buddy to ask his CFII if he's taking new students. I get a text to give my friend's CFII a call. This morning I called him and left a voicemail. An hour or two later, my current CFII calls and asks, essentially, "why are you calling [OTHER INSTRUCTOR]?" Apparently my buddy mentioned to his instructor who my current instructor is (who happens to have been my friend's instructor for his PPL). The two CFIIs are friends. (It looks like I was right about the CFII community at my airport being small.) I explain to my current instructor that I want another set of eyes to look at me and assess where I'm at and help me decide whether I want to continue my IFR training. My current instructor says he understands completely, and really likes the other instructor and thinks he'll give me an honest assessment. So, I have an appointment with the new CFII in a couple of weeks.

So much for worrying about confidentiality... :eek2:

Like I said - “confidentiality” never works. You’re lucky your existing instructor wasn’t much of a drama queen.

But, now you’ll have to be on your game. Many people are just inherent gossips like it or not. Your new instructor now feels like he has to give a report to your current guy. And your old instructor may feel empowered or validated in his criticism if things aren’t ideal. While he was amenable which is cool, if it’s an instructor chemistry issue between you and him, this may not help you.

1. Do NOT get discouraged.
2. It’s YOUR TIME and YOUR money. Someone stated you really have to commit to this; clearly you’re burning brain cycles on this. If you aren’t vibing with your instructor, show his hand and say thank you! If you have little time to invest in this but are passionate about it, listening to those that tell you to continue with the STICK end of the carrot and stick method aren’t doing you favors.

That said, don’t ignore having structure to your training. Syllabus, syllabus, syllabus. Know what lesson is coming up. Prepare for it. Perform.

I’ve been the guinea pig for a school that took me through multiple instructors and wasted my time and substantial money. I recall wasting hours and hours with an instructor in a helicopter - no click, no hover, he was frustrating me and I wasn’t doing it for him. One day he’s out, I go out with another guy, and BOOM. Hover magic, great skill building and super effective time use, I was golden.

I’ve flown with instructors for some ratings who are building hours without any sort of syllabus and my pocket paid for it because I had no structure as a student and I listened to others who “knew better” about that instructor. Hogwash.

Many will tell you to “listen to your instructor” as though they’re preaching from the Bible when their condescending style or their volume, instruction or respect is not for you. As a former Marine I say Nonsense. Passing a CFi ticket doesn’t guarantee you have a half a clue as to how to truly disseminate knowledge. Yes, lesson plans are part of it, but I’ve met many an instructor that just plain suck.

Don’t get bummed.
Have fun learning with your CFI so you look forward to your lessons
Have a plan so that every lesson has a purpose
GET RATED

Any instructor that doesn’t encourage you go to another at least on occasion, especially if you are struggling, is an instructor you probably don’t want. JMO

Back