Positive ATC Stories

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by Cajun_Flyer, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Joshuajayg

Joshuajayg Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Joshua
    I've had a lot of great interactions with concerned and patient controllers.

I've had my first ever pop up IFR with a patient controller. Had controllers tell me their concern over route or altitude of flight. Had to call Aspen Tower every morning before work started and they were always pleasant and helpful to talk to. I like the great majority of controllers, they are actually there to help.

2. Mistake Not...

Mistake Not... Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mistake Not...
    They're all awesome, so it sucks when I can't give them something they ask for. Like, we were out doing approaches (VFR) at night. Obviously an accident somewhere, 'cause the major highway through town is backed up for miles. Approach asked if we could see it, but the snarl started well west of where we were. Small thing, but they hardly ever ask.

I was able to relay a message for ATC once. And I'd had enough instrument training I didn't totally screw it up ("Please tell N9999 IFR cancellation received, etc."). Was happy to help.

Was positioned to land on 36L, an airliner had taken the runway and then told tower they'd need another minute. I was on <1 mile final, but still plenty of time to offer to side step to 36R. Guy seemed happy I offered, cleared me to land 36R.

A couple of times now, they've let me land long so I'd have a shorter taxi to my hangar. -That's- fun. I'm not sure how you're supposed to it, but I just slow flight down the runway a couple hundred feet up, then pull the power and finish landing normally. Fun. :)

Right after I'd bought the plane, and still not comfortable with ATC in general, my xponder quits on flight following. I'm afraid I won't be allowed back in to the class C (and my car). Tell approach the problem. He's all "No problem. When you get 30 miles out, we'll identify with radar vectors."

Told clearance delivery I was going to do some sight seeing in the area in and around their airspace, could we get flight following? "Sure! No problem. Just let us know when you're ready to come back."

Staying patient and professional while I botch approach after approach in between commercial and military traffic using same runway.

I was on flight following with center approaching a class D. I had the field in sight from 40+ miles out (really clear day), and called up to cancel. Center said there were multiple primary targets between me and my destination. I could cancel now or stay with him until I'm closer. I happily remained on flight following. I thought I was doing him a favor by cutting his workload, but since he offered...

Around here, we do not let our transponders warm up, we "recycle" them. Or so I've heard. You know. From friends. With transponders. That... needed recycling. Yeah.

Controllers are awesome.

drjcustis likes this.
  3. BigBadLou

BigBadLou En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lou
    I flew a short trip on Saturday. I was empty so I asked my neighbor whether he wanted to join me. He replied: "I got the kids this weekend, could they come?" My answer was a loud "heck yeah!" :)

I think my neighbor is hooked now and he might use the GI Bill to get into flying. And his 6-y/o is hooked too. He can't even legally drive but he flew like a champ. :)

And why am I telling you all this?
    After landing back home, I asked "the ground guy" whether I could come up with an adult and two quiet kiddos. "Come on up" was the answer. Our Delta controllers are cool guys for sure.
    The kids got to see the tower from the inside and as we were turning around to leave, the ground guy says "the C47 is about to overfly, y'all wanna watch from the catwalk?" And we did. For about 15 minutes.

Most controllers are cool folks. Ask to go see a tower when you land sometime!
    (I am known to have asked on downwind, short final, while taxiing to the hangar etc - I've brought a lot of pilots/students/civilians to the tower over the years - always fun)

4. CRAFT

CRAFT Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    CRAFT
    Many years ago, I was returning home from a XC trip. I called approach as I neared the ARSA (talk about dating) and got nothing. Called two more times and a voice responded "calling approach carrier signal only no voice". I immediately tried again with the same response. I tuned to 7600 and we created a makeshift communication with the Ident being yes. Unfortunately on one yes the transponder faded out and the yes was not received. They were running the litany of possible airports of intended landing when the yes got lost. I maintained course and altitude until I reached my home field. I started flying 360s North of the pattern for a South landing. After a couple of circuits control got the message and asked if that was where I intended to land, the transponder yes worked and I was handed over to the tower. I was suddenly hit with a very bright green light coming from the tower. I landed without any additional problem. BTW I had my nonflying dad along on this flight and was making sure that he was never concerned about the outcome.

5. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill Jennings
    Did he give you a number to call? ;);)

6. Terry M - 3CK (Chicago)

Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Terry