POS NOTAMs and where can I find this?

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
Ugh. These NOTAMS SUCK!

KBUR has an ARTCC notam tomorrow for GPS issues stemming from the following coordinates. Where the F*! do I figure out what the hell this is?

Yes, I can read a map, yes I was a boyscout.. but no I don't have a paper map on me finite enough to interpret this. Is there just a simple site I can use this? First of all, I don't even understand what this is in degrees, minutes, seconds

Please help. And someone please fire whoever is in charge of these absurd NOTAMS

"GPS (NTC GPS 19-45H) (INCLUDING WAAS, GBAS, AND ADS-B) MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE WI A 270NM RADIUS CENTERED AT 352119N1163405W (HEC 339034)..."

Can someone point this out on a map to me? Google Maps, and like 6 other lat/long sites cannot interpret this.

34 miles from HEC VOR on the 339 radial. Northwest of Barstow, CA - out in the desert east of Edwards AFB.

Yeah, quite worthless. Has anyone actually been affected by GPS interference testing? I always thought they were mostly just idle threats.

That said, WAAS and keep an eye on the integrity annunciator. And if IFR know where is the nearest VOR. If VFR, you should be looking out the window anyway.

Looks like pretty much over Fort Irwin out in the desert. About 4 miles NE of the airport.

^PS, I can figure out where this is based on the HEC VOR radial and distance.. but where can I figure out the actual lat / long?

352119N1163405W
Google maps does fine if you just add some spaces: 35 21 19N 116 34 05W
The problem is that it appears ambiguous if you don't know what the standard format is, if it should be 21.19 or 21' 19" and 34.05 or 34' 05"
Luckily that's going to be less than a mile difference so it doesn't really matter

appears ambiguous if you don't know what the standard format is, if it should be 21.19 or 21' 19" and 34.05 or 34' 05"
That was exactly it. I didn't want to assume. Given all the text they put in these NOTAMS, would it really be that hard to put the correct formatting?

That was exactly it. I didn't want to assume. Given all the text they put in these NOTAMS, would it really be that hard to put the correct formatting?
They pay by the character...
Based on the description in 7930.2 it looks like DD(D) MM SS.ss (if there were more digits)

I did actually have a WAAS outage on the LGB RNAV a few months ago, but I've never had a full GPS failure.

In this case it’s an NTC (Ft Irwin)......
That effin place can go straight to effin hell and stay the eff there...we need to deed that sumbitch to effinlibya or some such and then bomb it out of existance...like make a new grand caynon all the way down to "magma" so it ceases to exist.

I dont like that place, in case you didnt catch that...

That effin place can go straight to effin hell and stay the eff there...we need to deed that sumbitch to effinlibya or some such and then bomb it out of existance...like make a new grand caynon all the way down to "magma" so it ceases to exist.

I dont like that place, in case you didnt catch that...

Yeah fortunately I managed to evade that place for 12 years. Don’t know how I ever survived on deployment without proper desert training.

LOL. We are under those GPS warnings nearly constantly out west here. Yay GPS test cage building at Alamogordo.

All those warnings appear to accomplish is the boy crying wolf, and the ability for FAA to say “we warned you!” when the one that actually jams everything finally occurs and we’ve all been essentially ignoring them for a decade or more.

Back