Portable Oxygen systems

The $45 oximeter from Walgreens wouldn't hurt, either. Just to monitor your O2.

Good call. I didn't mention it only because I've had one for months and it's not technically part of the system.

Is there a converter to a 540 nozzle so you can get it filled at an FBO?

You could probably put one together, or someone posted a fill adapter already in this thread. As I said, the FBO at my field will fill the 870 valves, I suspect they aren't the only one.

Everybody want's to build their system out of junk to save a few $$$, but frankly what's the point. I guess you are happy with short durations (O2 is only useful if you have enough to get you through your high altitude flight) and excess gross weight from these steel monstrosities.

Coming back to this statement again. I now have everything in hand, and even with a nice carrying bag I'm out less than half of what any of the "aviation" places wanted for the same thing or less. I just put the whole setup on my postal scale and it came out to 8lb.9oz. I wouldn't call that excess weight, and no the bottle is not steel.

I called maybe 15 places, not kidding, to find a place that would fill my bottle. Then I ended up buying a connector to convert the medical valve to a welding valve off eBay. I still get some hassles every once in a while because of the connector, but otherwise works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm puzzled why anyone would spend money on a CGA870 to CGA540 converter when it's normally a lot cheaper to just replace the 870 valve with a 540.

I'm puzzled why anyone would spend money on a CGA870 to CGA540 converter when it's normally a lot cheaper to just replace the 870 valve with a 540.

I can't speak for everyone but since you quoted my post ... I have a adaptor that meters oxygen that is installed in my plane which won't fit on a CGA870. And the bottle is on a rack that is also custom fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because changing valves also means changing regulators. Also none of the shops around here were interested in changing the valves at anywhere near that price. I also didn't need the valve changed at all since I'm able to get it filled as is. I only picked up the adapter for the off chance that I go somewhere and need to have it filled and they don't have the equipment.

There are 20 different ways to do it, I'm just showing how I did it for cheaper than what's available in aviation labeled kit form. You can do yours any way you wish.

Last edited:
Back