Portable NAV/COM

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
I'm looking for a portable radio for a backup. Preferably one that I can use with my headset and an adapter.

What are your recommendations?

If you watch eBay, you can find the Vertex Standards and the IComs at a decent deal.

In May, I got a Vertex Pilot III for $125+15 shipping. Came with extra battery pack and charging stand.

I don't know that it matters. I bought the cheapo sporty's one in 1993, the version they sold at the time (300?). It worked fine then and continues to work fine now.

My sporty's radio failed after about a year, I wish I'd bought an Icom.

Maybe a stupid question but why NAV? I was in the market for a handheld radio 10 or more years ago and, when I looked at the choices I opted against a NAV/COMM because I figured I'd probably get one of those newfangled handheld GPS at some point and that would be a much better navigation backup choice.

In the 10+ years since then, I haven't seen anything to make me second-guess that decision ;)

To the extent it helps any, my choice ended up to be a Yaesu Aviator Pro II aka Vertex VXA-120. I still use it. Still going strong and reliable. I see Mike is also happy with his Vertex unit.

Maybe a stupid question but why NAV? I was in the market for a handheld radio 10 or more years ago and, when I looked at the choices I opted against a NAV/COMM because I figured I'd probably get one of those newfangled handheld GPS at some point and that would be a much better navigation backup choice.

In the 10+ years since then, I haven't seen anything to make me second-guess that decision ;)

To the extent it helps any, my choice ended up to be a Yaesu Aviator Pro II aka Vertex VXA-120. I still use it. Still going strong and reliable. I see Mike is also happy with his Vertex unit.

When the GPS goes TU sometime you'll know more about why the NAV. I like to shoot a VOR approach with the handheld as an emergency exercise now and then.

I've also got a Vertex Pilot III I picked up at Oshkosh last year that I'm very happy with. I also have an Icom A6 that, while it's a great radio, has a crap battery. My version was a NiCD and I suspect I cooked it from leaving it on charge too long, as it's not a smart charger. I only get a few transmissions out of it before the batt dies. I think they're sold with NiMH or LiON batts now though.

Just buy the cheapest battery(not rechargeable) Icom. Skip the Nav bit.

When the GPS goes TU sometime you'll know more about why the NAV. I like to shoot a VOR approach with the handheld as an emergency exercise now and then.
OK. But why would a handheld GPS go TU and not the handheld Nav/Comm?

Through the years from my little black & white AirMap 500 to my iPad, not one has failed in flight despite the fairly constant use a handheld NAV/Comm wouldn't generally see. I can't imagine that a handheld NAV/Comm would be any more reliable. And, if anything, I'd expect it's line-of-sight limitation would make unreliability even more of an issue than loss of the overhead satellites.

But since I only used a handheld nav once (a friend's) for jollies I'll defer to your experience on the point.

GPS itself can go TU. The Air Force plays with it from time to time.

VORs and ILSs are decentralized, and it's quite hard to make all the ground stations go TU at once.

If the issue were only dead batteries, you'd be right.

I bought a Vertex Standard ~10 years ago and it has performed flawlessly. I hear good things (and like) iCom as well.

Something I do is have the headset adapter tied to my headset cord via velcro. That way, if the panel goes dark, I don't have to fish through my flight bag for the adapter.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

I'm going to Oshkosh for a couple days next week. I'll see what kind of sale prices I can find :)

Through the years from my little black & white AirMap 500 to my iPad, not one has failed in flight despite the fairly constant use a handheld NAV/Comm wouldn't generally see. I can't imagine that a handheld NAV/Comm would be any more reliable. And, if anything, I'd expect it's line-of-sight limitation would make unreliability even more of an issue than loss of the overhead satellites.

But since I only used a handheld nav once (a friend's) for jollies I'll defer to your experience on the point.

They're all just machines and can all fail for multiple reasons and of course are always subject to the limitations of each's design.

Had a GPS once just would not update at all for 15 minutes when I really wanted it in IMC forest fire smoke at night to spiral down for landing in a desert valley airport. Out of range of all the ship's and the handheld's VORs plus low fuel, -was reduced to watch and compass for NAV....

When you buy handheld COM make sure headset adaptor works with your headset.

Back