Portable GPS

Need more specifics on mission,and pilot needs out of the device. Have to take size of cockpit into the mix. I have a garmin 496 which I have used since it came out. Has weather ,color,a stand by panel too many features to list,would have purchased a 696 ,but no room in cockpit. Have since gone to the I Pad with Foreflight and stratus. No need for the garmin now.

Do you already use one of the EFB's on an iPad, mini or maxi? The one you use the most will direct which unit to obtain.

If anyone is interested in a Dual GPS puck, I have one I need to sell....

Hi Lynn.

I fly all the time with a Garmin 196. Except for weather, that provides all the information I need.

a 496 here. I have the weather puck though not XM (put it on hold back when I misplaced the puck). Color display, sits on the yoke, wired to the transponder for power and traffic. There are cheaper alternatives like an iPad or Android tablet now but the 496 does everything I need at the moment since I already spent the $2,300 years ago (and another $300 for a second weather puck!).
I have a BendixKing 89B. Full IFR with subscription. The 496 is a good supplement to it.

Unless you need to drive an autopilot or something, an iPad is a better option. I have both an iPad running Garmin Pilot and a 496. The only thing I use the 496 for is to steer the autopilot in my CTSW and as a backup to the iPad.

Like others state, need more information on wants and needs, price range, size desired, etc before a realistic suggestion may be made.

Do you need weather?
Want XM with price or ads-b with some reliability issues?
How portable? All in one box or is a remote gps receiver or remote xm receiver acceptable?
What price for equipment?
What price for maintaining current charts?
Need IFR charts?
Want EFIS like functionality with synthetic AI?
What environment will it be used? Some displays are more functional than others in sunlight.
Do you like touchscreens or prefer dedicated buttons?
Are you an android or I thingy type person?

Too many questions to be answered.

Basically it boils down to either a dedicated aviation gps device or a tablet.
Tablets typically offer lower cost charts, easier / lower cost hardware updating as improved hardware comes available. Dedicated aviation gps devices typically offer more intuitive menus and push buttons available in compact boxes.

Very happy with my iPad (ForeFlight, and Stratus Combo). Use the GPS in the plane as primary and the iPad as backup and situational awareness/ weather.

I was thinking something to have as backup and situational awareness for Instrument flying.
The questions are all god ones, but I don't know other than instrument back up what else I would use it for.

I was thinking something to have as backup and situational awareness for Instrument flying.
The questions are all god ones, but I don't know other than instrument back up what else I would use it for.
If you plan to use it for instrument backup you are going to want charts with approach plates and weather.

Charts may be found in both tablets and dedicated units such as a 696 but cheaper to keep current on tablets. I would recommend a tablet.

If you do not have a preference for android vs i thingy, decide which electronic flight bag looks best for you. Would you rather pay an annual fee of a couple hundred bucks for the most well supported and developed software or would you rather have a free software which is a little slower in development?

Avare is a free EFB with ads-b (for free WX) and is evolving.
ForeFlight appears to be the market leader.
Many other options to choose from.

I'd recommend a look at the iFly GPS option. They've got apps for iOS and Android devices, as well as their own hardware platform. Subscription prices are low, and they support just about every (non-proprietary) ADSB/AHRS peripheral device on the market. Their development team is very responsive to their customers; it's easy to interact with them via their message forum.

I'd recommend a look at the iFly GPS option. They've got apps for iOS and Android devices, as well as their own hardware platform. Subscription prices are low, and they support just about every (non-proprietary) ADSB/AHRS peripheral device on the market. Their development team is very responsive to their customers; it's easy to interact with them via their message forum.

+1, best bang for the buck.

If you want a android tablet I would look at Naviator and a Dual xps170. It will give you GPS and ADSB in coverage. The price is low and the app has many features that I like. The developer also works hard on getting in features that the users ask for.

XGPS150

$60 via paypal, with box and owners manual and cord. May have the no skid matt too.

Great unit and great price! I use mine quite a bit. I used it with Foreflight and now with WingX. The only issue I've had was my own making. I flew a poker run and forgot to turn it off between legs and it was out of battery before I went home. But that's about 6 hours or so of continuous operations.

John

Back