Portable GPS

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
What would you recommend for GPS? I was thinking of iPad but was wondering if there's something better out there. I noticed the 496 or 196 look good, but I would like some reviews on people that have had them. Thanks.

FYI main reason for not wanting is iPad is I wouldn't have another use for it.

Well, you'll pay about 2x to as high as 3x more for the non-iPad for slightly better cockpit visibility, and the iPad does have at least one other use for you... It can read and reply to posts on PoA. ;)

The leading iPad Apps also have significantly lower database update recurring costs, and don't charge a whole lot extra if at all for many features that were once optional at higher cost on dedicated handhelds.

I honestly bought my first iPad specifically for Foreflight (couldn't justify it before then, at all...) and now find myself using it 70% or higher of my non-professional computing time.

Second iPad was to keep processor power up for Foreflight also... It's pretty sluggish these days on an iPad 1.

The leading iPad Apps also have significantly lower database update recurring costs, and don't charge a whole lot extra if at all for many features that were once optional at higher cost on dedicated handhelds.

I honestly bought my first iPad specifically for Foreflight (couldn't justify it before then, at all...) and now find myself using it 70% or higher of my non-professional computing time.

</thread>

That says pretty much all that needs to be said right there, IMHO. Of course, I use the iPad for a lot of general reading and web surfing as well. I'd be surprised if one can't find other uses for an iPad...

510 looks good. I feel it would be more accurate than iPad as well.

510 looks good. I feel it would be more accurate than iPad as well.

What specific technical reason would you cite for one GPS receiver being more accurate over another for in-flight use? Show your test cases and sources.

Check out the iFly from Adventure Pilot. Have had mine for over a year now and love it. So intuitive that I have never had to crack open a manual.

What specific technical reason would you cite for one GPS receiver being more accurate over another for in-flight use? Show your test cases and sources.
Same could be said the other way....show your sources that a iPhone or iPad is as accurate as a Garmin. I suspect that you are likely to get a slightly better/more accurate signal with a Garmin Aera than an iPad, however, for typical VFR avaition application, the iPad is plenty accurate.

Personally, I use both (a Garmin Aera 510 and an iPad with ForeFlight and Jepp View). If money were a concern, I would agree that you will get more bang for your buck with a iPad (I can't take my Garmin out and download my weather brief, file a flight plan and send email...etc).

The only real issue I have with the iPad is that keeping it charged on long cross-countries can be a challenge. Battery life on the Garmin lasts longer and plugging it into the cigar lighter keeps it fully charged. With the iPhone running Foreflight, plugging it into the charger in flight doesn't quite seem to keep it fully charged (could be a limitation of the electrical system of my airplane though).

Well plug the ipad in the lighter and charge it like the Garmin....... Pretty simple fix. I have seen 10 hours battery life from the ipad.

Well plug the ipad in the lighter and charge it like the Garmin....... Pretty simple fix. I have seen 10 hours battery life from the ipad.
As I said...it could be the modified 1948 electrical system and small generator (not alternator), but my charger on the iPad at best minimizes the drain - does not actually charge unless I close ForeFlight.

Same could be said the other way....show your sources that a iPhone or iPad is as accurate as a Garmin. I suspect that you are likely to get a slightly better/more accurate signal with a Garmin Aera than an iPad
Not quite a full survey, but I've flown with both operating at the same time (while I was using a Garmin 396 for weather), in a certified IFR GPS equipped airplane, and never saw one shred of difference among the three.

Unless you're talking installed, certified, IFR boxes, any portable GPS is only going to give you situational awareness. It hasn't been tested for accuracy, reliability or interference.

But definitely - if you feel as you do, by all means spend the extra cash.

Check out the iFly from Adventure Pilot. Have had mine for over a year now and love it. So intuitive that I have never had to crack open a manual.
+1. The 720 has a great screen that's readable even in direct sunlight, and it's the perfect size for use in the cockpit.

There are a lot of happy iFly users in the world...many of whom also own iPads, but prefer the iFly for in-flight use.

I have a Garmin 196 that I have had for a few years. The iPad was not an option when I bought it. I tried ForeFlight on my iPhone but the screen was too small, so that is all I know about using ForeFlight in the airplane, other than to say I have friends that have it and really like it. I also like the 196, and if you can find a used on cheap, that may be a good option for you.

the reason I said it might be more accurate was because I saw this on the specs:SBAS/WAAS receiver: high-sensitivity with WAAS position accuracy.

I've got a Garmin GPS-90 I can let you have for cheap ... :) Really cheap ... one drawback is you have to take apart the Garmin database and manually load just what you need, because it's too big for the -90 now.

Otherwise, my vote is for the ipad. One guy I know ditched Foreflight on iPad 3 with a Bad Elf for Garmin Pilot on the iPad mini with a Garmin Glo. Says he likes it way better - more intuitive sofware usage, he says.

I'm tempted to try it (Garmin Pilot) before my Foreflight subscription is up.

I have an ipad mini (fore flight)and a garmin Aera. Like both for different reasons. For changing enroute or grabbing a quick direct too, the Garmin is hands down faster and easier to operate than the ipad. I'm still frustrated with the Foreflight direct to function as it requires tidious change in the map input.
The sectional and IFR chart/plate overlay/moving map feature of the Ipad is awesome and I don't believe you can replicate this on the Garmin. Also the position tab on the garmin and the nearest ATC function makes for quick reference which I cannot find on the ipad.
So both are invaluable to me. I'm hoping for a portable GPS that allows to file /G soon. Not so much for the approach capablilty but for the ability to file direct to various intersections and VORs. I find when you file /U they give you V Airways and which results in much longer flights.
Aera 500 is cheap. I have found that about 75% of the time I can get weather in route on my ipad. So really no need for the upgraded Aera for my mission.
Good luck.

Attachments

• cockpit set up.JPG
    cockpit set up.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 19
I'm still frustrated with the Foreflight direct to function as it requires tidious change in the map input.
For "direct-to" in Foreflight, all you have to do is type, e.g., "D KJFK". Or if the destination is already on the map display, just touch it and the "direct-to" icon. Easier than the Garmin x96 series ...

Check out the Bendix King AV8OR. List is around 700 but you can easily get them for around 300. Great device, all touchscreen, can drive an autopilot (although i havent tried this), can link to a weather or tcas receiver. Definitely look into it if you want something reliable, high quality, cheap, and not bulky. Only downside is low battery life, but that can be solved with an extended battery or by turning down the backlight (I can easily get 5 hrs with my extended battery). Plus, the unit doubles as a great car gps.

Ipad mini and wing x is hot! Wing x does track up and is way simpler than fore flight.

the reason I said it might be more accurate was because I saw this on the specs:SBAS/WAAS receiver: high-sensitivity with WAAS position accuracy.
Keep in mind that there are IFR-certified boxes without WAAS. In IFR-certified units, WAAS basically allows two things: IFR flight without backup ground navigation systems (VOR) and flight of GPS/RNAV approaches that have vertical guidance.

For en route situational awareness, there really isn't much difference. The ones I mentioned with no difference - non-WAAS iPad, non-WAAS handheld, WAAS panel mount.

And if you want WAAS, it's available for the iPad. For various reasons, some pilots (including me) opt for a $99 external GPS for the iPad. At this point in time, I think all of the current models of those are WAAS-capable (mine is older and isn't).

Ipad mini and wing x is hot! Wing x does track up and is way simpler than fore flight.
Thread creep...

The mini thing is interesting. Pre-iPad, folks were putting pdfs of approach charts on Kindles. The big complaint was that they were too small to be useful. Then came the nice big iPad and everyone went crazy since approach charts were now full-sized. Now everyone goes crazy over the mini where they are as small as the Kindle people complained about.

I know - pinch and zoom in the Mini makes they more useful. But I sometimes wonder whether the excitement is more about the technology than the usefulness of the technology.

Remember when the tiniest cell phone had the biggest status?

The ipad requires a 2V charger. The iphone takes a .5V.
Cig adapters in aircraft can supply 12V, iPad adapters for the cig outlet provides the required 2V. This is not a problem.
I think you guys are confusing your units. The big deal in iPad charging requirements was in needing 2A (or 2.1A, whatever it takes) vs. the 0.5A that is the spec limit for USB current draw.

Voltage isn't the problem. The problem is that the iPad can be starved for current and thus the battery can still deplete while it's plugged into a charger, if you don't use a 2A-capable charger.

I think you guys are confusing your units. The big deal in iPad charging requirements was in needing 2A (or 2.1A, whatever it takes) vs. the 0.5A that is the spec limit for USB current draw.

Voltage isn't the problem. The problem is that the iPad can be starved for current and thus the battery can still deplete while it's plugged into a charger, if you don't use a 2A-capable charger.

Yes, I meant to say amp, and got stuck on his volt. :mad2:
I have the 2A usb charger for my iPad in the truck.

FYI main reason for not wanting is iPad is I wouldn't have another use for it.

Then you've never used an iPad (or comparable tablet.) Since getting my iPad, my notebook usage dropped by 90%. A tablet is just so much more convenient as an information consumption device than a notebook. Now I ALWAYS have a tablet with me, either the iPad or my Nexus 7.

BTW, since the advent of ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot on off-the-shelf tablets, I will never spend money on a portable aviation-specific GPS device...just not worth it.

That said, if you really, really want an aviation-specific one, make me an offer on my Garmin 295!

BTW, since the advent of ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot on off-the-shelf tablets, I will never spend money on a portable aviation-specific GPS device...just not worth it.

That said, if you really, really want an aviation-specific one, make me an offer on my Garmin 295!

I see. Well I have owned an iPad before but I could do the same things as I could on my iPad as in my laptop. Don't get me wrong I am still debating it.

I would recommend the same setup. If I didnt use my ipad for contracts at work I would switch to the mini. Wing x is always adding new features and geo ref airport diagrams are included.

In my case, the Garmin 696 provides the output signals for the solid-state auto-pilot & fuel monitoring system. Tablets won't do so. As for Garmin 295's, I never wanted one. The grey-scale 196, color 296,396, & 496 were better products. The 696 is also MUCH easier to see in direct sunlight that our I-Pad or Nexus 7.

L.Adamson

Another bonus with the iPad is you can sell it in 5 minutes on ebay if you don't like it, and probably get back 95% of what you paid (minus any subscription services you signed up for). I doubt it's as easy to sell one of the older Garmin units, though it can be done of course.

Then you've never used an iPad (or comparable tablet.) Since getting my iPad, my notebook usage dropped by 90%. A tablet is just so much more convenient as an information consumption device than a notebook. Now I ALWAYS have a tablet with me, either the iPad or my Nexus 7.
Amen. The one and only reason I bought my iPad 1 was Foreflight. Now, I have found it so useful for so many other things that I'm a definite tablet convert. The next one may not be an iPad but I will certainly own another tablet.

Back