"Portable" autopilot for your Skyhawk?

kve820

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kve820
https://www.portapilot.com/

Has anyone seen this or used this? Evidently this company has made a portable autopilot for your plane and uses the 172 as its example. Just curious if anyone would be interested in this? It has me intrigued to say the least. Since its not permanently attached there's no paperwork required. Priced around 2-3k. Not sure if this goes here or some where else so if it needs to be moved let me know.

Last edited:
MV5BOTQyMTdlMDgtN2ViMC00ODAyLTg2ZWQtNjMyNmU3ZGMyMmEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTExNDQ2MTI@._V1_UY264_CR28,0,178,264_AL_.jpg

What makes you think that not being permanently attached makes this legal?

MV5BOTQyMTdlMDgtN2ViMC00ODAyLTg2ZWQtNjMyNmU3ZGMyMmEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTExNDQ2MTI@._V1_UY264_CR28,0,178,264_AL_.jpg

What makes you think that not being permanently attached makes this legal?
The classic picture of the pilot hanging a flip flop from the yoke as an impromptu wing leveler for an out of rig airplane is also an illegal mod?

FAA isn’t going to like it - Flight control modification without an STC. Fine print - This product is not certified or endorsed by the FAA or any other governmental or non-governmental agency.

Wow that's actually pretty cool. I can't see myself buying one but maybe it will further drive down the price of the STC-PMA autopilots and maybe force them to release cheaper single-axis versions.

I used to own a 182P with the original wing leveler. It flew better without it. The cost to add a certified auto pilot was outrageous. Even servicing the wing leveler, even if possible, would cost more than this system which is far more advanced and safer in my opinion. Even has a level button and a course reversal. Could save a life in a VFR into IMC situation. All the costs to keep an airplane as old as me with a design and technology as old as my parents in the air because it’s certified turned me away from that market. It’s getting better now with Dynon, etc, but nothing like experimental / LSA if you fly mainly for fun.

FAA isn’t going to like it - Flight control modification without an STC. Fine print - This product is not certified or endorsed by the FAA or any other governmental or non-governmental agency.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

I am hoping they are at Osh this year, just so I can see it in person.

Portapilot, just add porta-potty and you've got everything you need for a long flight.

I used to have a simple autopilot for my sailboat that was a similar concept. One bracket on the boat and one on the tiller. Worked like a dream. I always wondered if something couldn’t be done for an aircraft yoke.
The sailboat version was easy to overpower or could be popped off if something were to go wrong (in hundreds of hours nothing ever did go wrong).

Seems like they should at least provide a NORSEE letter. No doubt an autopilot enhances safety.

It actually is attached to the control system, even if only temporarily, and the powers that be (read FAA) ain't gonna let this fly (pun intended) on a certified aircraft without their blessing.

Cool idea though!

Just my humble opinion and I've been wrong before ...

I used to own a 182P with the original wing leveler.[snip...] All the costs to keep an airplane as old as me with a design and technology as old as my parents in the air because it’s certified turned me away from that market. It’s getting better now with Dynon, etc, but nothing like experimental / LSA if you fly mainly for fun.

giphy.gif

:D :happydance:

It actually is attached to the control system, even if only temporarily, and the powers that be (read FAA) ain't gonna let this fly (pun intended) on a certified aircraft without their blessing.

Cool idea though!

Just my humble opinion and I've been wrong before ...

How about those unapproved yoke mounts for portables? It attaches to the controls and can definitely change how the aircraft flies.

The FAA insists on STC for even hand controls for the disabled. I'm not seeing how this is not in the definition and intent of major alteration.

Neat idea, maybe the experimental folks could play with it. I missed the cost.

Yes. An iPad mount is not an autopilot.

The FAA insists on STC for even hand controls for the disabled. I'm not seeing how this is not in the definition and intent of major alteration.

But its not mounted permanently. So why would it require a STC if it's not modifying the aircraft. No different than an ipad yoke mount that is clamped on the yoke. I think they are walking on a fine line as far as the regs are concerned but maybe this is what the FAA needs to finally get their act together and move quicker on updating the regs to meet todays technology advancements. Just my $0.02

But its not mounted permanently. So why would it require a STC if it's not modifying the aircraft. No different than an ipad yoke mount that is clamped on the yoke. I think they are walking on a fine line as far as the regs are concerned but maybe this is what the FAA needs to finally get their act together and move quicker on updating the regs to meet todays technology advancements. Just my $0.02
I didn’t say it would require an STC.

It manipulates the flight controls, which an I pad mount does not...

Again, "Not being a permanent mount" has no bearing on whether the thing is or isn't a major alteration (hence needing a 337/STC/whatever). NOWHERE in the regs or advisory circulars or anywhere else will you see that as part of the criteria. Your yoke clip is a minor change because it doesn't have any real effect on control, structure, w&b,etc... It could be welded in place as far as the regs go.

I swear there is a ghost in my plane because it is always turning left. Give me the STC or get him out of there!

How about those unapproved yoke mounts for portables? It attaches to the controls and can definitely change how the aircraft flies.

I thought about those too. The way the FAA has been acting lately I won't be surprised if we soon see an STC requirement for any device attaching to aircraft controls.

I like the overall general idea since I like to hand fly on some shorter flights of an hour or two but I can see where this would be nice on longer x-country flights. The problem for me, an maybe some other folks, is I dont fly x-country enough to justify the cost of an autopilot so something like this might be good.

I like the overall general idea since I like to hand fly on some shorter flights of an hour or two but I can see where this would be nice on longer x-country flights. The problem for me, an maybe some other folks, is I dont fly x-country enough to justify the cost of an autopilot so something like this might be good.

Why do you have a Comanche then?!? :D

I prefer the inflatable type autopilot. The last one I purchased sprung a leak and flew out the window !

I received an email from iFly this morning with this wording: "You'll also want to check out the new wireless autopilot that Levil Aviation is releasing. We've already added support to our app for this product - it's amazing!" I didn't see anything on the Levil website about this, unless I missed it somehow...anyone have any info on that?

I received an email from iFly this morning with this wording: "You'll also want to check out the new wireless autopilot that Levil Aviation is releasing. We've already added support to our app for this product - it's amazing!" I didn't see anything on the Levil website about this, unless I missed it somehow...anyone have any info on that?

I got that email also but can't find anything further on it ...

I don't know how to display it, but if you view source on their web page, this appears:
AutoPilot

The future is almost here… Control your aircraft using our coming-soon wireless patent-pending Autopilot. That is right: wireless autopilot. You can now sit back and relax by controlling your aircraft with your fingertips…

Do you want to know more? Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on our social media channels.
There are also some picture links.
autopilot-1152x1536.png

I asked Portapilot via email for more clarification on their product especially paperwork required and this is their reply:
"Hello James, The only "paperwork" required, is filling out the form on our website that will pop up when you attempt to order on of our PortaPilot units. Note that at this time we are only compatible with C172, models L and newer. The FAA considers this a portable, carry-on device, therefore it is not subject to regulation, and no certification is required. Best Regards, Yarden Sheffer www.PortaPilot.com"

Back