Port of Coupeville Buying KOKH (Update: Now Owned by Robert DeLaurentis Instead)

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
https://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/oak-harbor-airport-saga-continues/

Excerpt:

Oak Harbor airport saga continues

The Port of Coupeville made another step toward the purchase of the A.J. Eisenberg Airport.

By Karina Andrew • March 21, 2023 1:30 am

The Port of Coupeville made another step toward the purchase of the A.J. Eisenberg Airport following two special meetings last week.

The board of commissioners for the port held executive sessions March 14 and 16 to discuss the acquisition of the property. After the latter session, board members approved a motion instructing the executive director to negotiate and sign an agreement with Oak Harbor Realtor Geri Morgan for the purchase of the airport.

Morgan currently has the first right of refusal on the property. The agreement terms have not been finalized as of Monday afternoon, but will include reimbursing Morgan for $55,000 worth of earnest money she will pay for the property, as per the board’s motion.

The board members approved the motion in a unanimous vote. Commissioner John Mishasek said that Morgan is committed to seeing the airport come under public ownership.

“She wants it to be a public airport for the community,” he said....​

https://skyvector.com/?ll=48.25154083868396,-122.6736831629828&chart=301&zoom=1

Is this good news or bad news?

Is this good news or bad news?
It doesn't sound like Geri Morgan would be selling her interest in the property if they weren't planning to keep it as an airport.

I do not believe these "public use" excerpts bode well for the airport:
The board members approved the motion in a unanimous vote. Commissioner John Mishasek said that Morgan is committed to seeing the airport come under public ownership.
“That warms the cockles of my heart, to think of all the things that could be done with that property,” Mishasek said.

Remember "public ownership" and "remain an airport" are NOT the same thing.

This excerpt is more encouraging:
A private buyer, North Whidbey resident Robert DeLaurentis, has also made moves to purchase the airport and has undertaken feasibility studies on the property.
And this piece is more encouraging:
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/local-pilot-plans-to-buy-whidbey-island-airport/
https://flyingthrulife.com/

It doesn't sound like Geri Morgan would be selling her interest in the property if they weren't planning to keep it as an airport.

I read that as the person who had first right of refusal would happily agree if the city was willing to pay enough.

I didn’t read that article as the town being happy to own an airport. But I’m not familiar with the locals, that’s why I asked.

Last edited:
I agree that the wording of the article leaves room for varying interpretations.

Hopefully Robert Delaurentis is serious about repairing, upgrading, and maintaining the airport. I have fond memories of that place.

I agree that the wording of the article leaves room for varying interpretations.
If you want the town to step up and buy the airport immediately for airport use with little opposition, just remind them that the Feds now require a certain percentage of any new development (around 15-20% of units) to be set aside as low-cost housing, and that the area will be “enlightened” by all of the diversity coming from Seattle to fill those units.

If you want the town to step up and buy the airport immediately for airport use with little opposition, just remind them that the Feds now require a certain percentage of any new development (around 15-20% of units) to be set aside as low-cost housing, and that the area will be “enlightened” by all of the diversity coming from Seattle to fill those units.

It's bad enough down here in Olympia. I can only imagine what those folks from Seattle would be like.

After 20 years in Ballard, I abandoned Seattle as a hopeless case 20 years ago. It has only gotten worse and worse and worse and ...

Unfortunately, in this far left, upper corner of the contiguous 48, Seattle's influence spreads like cancer.

Brings up some memories at OLF Coupeville. I almost don’t blame them complaining about noise, the Prowler at 600’ AGL takes getting used to. Of course this field was well before most any house near the pattern.

Yes, I’m talking about a different airport than Oak Harbor, but close.

I updated the thread title to reflect the new ownership.

He is doing a lot of upgrades. He is also charging a landing fee of $20. That is making people mad, of course. My take on it is if I have a reason to go there I don't mind the $20. But I won't land there for no reason at that. He is also wanting to get fuel and sell it at a good price to attract planes, then no landing fee. That makes sense to me as well. In all it seems like a good thing he has bought it.

Back