Popped, 1 cherry!

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
Did my first Pilot's and Paws flight last Saturday... Took a 13 week old German Sheppard to KDAN... What a freak'n BLAST! I'll for sure be doing that a lot!

Attachments

• PNPannie.png
    PNPannie.png
    483.5 KB · Views: 151
that's a cute lookin lil puppy! congrats, those flights sure are fun!

I did my first a few weeks ago, definitely a great experience and looking forward to finding more semi-local legs!

Enjoy the feeling! PnP missions are one of my favorite uses for my plane, wish I had more opportunities to do them...

Wait till one violently expunges the contents of its digestive system out both ends on a flight.

That does look like fun. I've been curious about this program but there seems to be nary a mission I can help with. For example, right now the only trip to or from my area has its other end in Boise, ID, and thus you're talking about some time on oxygen to get over the mountains, not to mention a whole long time in the air. And dogs probably wouldn't react any better to 13,000+ MSL than humans and naturally aspirated airplane engines do.

I do have some questions about flying with dogs in general, though, that maybe the OP or other Pilots-N-Paws veterans can answer. I am planning to pick up our new puppy later this week when the clouds clear. Dad brought his puppy home a few years back as a passenger in a small plane and just held her on his lap all the way. But I assume if you are flying solo you put a crate in the back seat of the plane and strap it in somehow? How about noise reduction? I have thought about wrapping the crate in towels or blankets to help bring the volume down a bit for the dog.

That pup never would have made the flight with me! Woulda done a couple loops in the pattern and taken her home!

@iamtheari: Ive only done one PnP but Ive flown with my personal pups. The PnP pup was leashed in the back seat and just laid down and looked around. My dogs were free in the back seat and they both slept. Depends on the dogs. I stuff some cotton in my dogs ears to help with noise reduction.

And as far as flight to do. Just wait around till you plane is out of commission like mine. Seems every dog out there needs to fly around Texas since i have no plane at the moment!

That does look like fun. I've been curious about this program but there seems to be nary a mission I can help with. For example, right now the only trip to or from my area has its other end in Boise, ID, and thus you're talking about some time on oxygen to get over the mountains, not to mention a whole long time in the air. And dogs probably wouldn't react any better to 13,000+ MSL than humans and naturally aspirated airplane engines do.

I do have some questions about flying with dogs in general, though, that maybe the OP or other Pilots-N-Paws veterans can answer. I am planning to pick up our new puppy later this week when the clouds clear. Dad brought his puppy home a few years back as a passenger in a small plane and just held her on his lap all the way. But I assume if you are flying solo you put a crate in the back seat of the plane and strap it in somehow? How about noise reduction? I have thought about wrapping the crate in towels or blankets to help bring the volume down a bit for the dog.
When I fly with my dog, he doesn't get crated or strapped in. When he was a pup (and in my other plane) he laid on the baggage floor, now he sits on the bench seat. I tried various sorts of ear protection, but he always pawed them off within 20 minutes.

That pup never would have made the flight with me! Woulda done a couple loops in the pattern and taken her home!

@iamtheari: Ive only done one PnP but Ive flown with my personal pups. The PnP pup was leashed in the back seat and just laid down and looked around. My dogs were free in the back seat and they both slept. Depends on the dogs. I stuff some cotton in my dogs ears to help with noise reduction.

And as far as flight to do. Just wait around till you plane is out of commission like mine. Seems every dog out there needs to fly around Texas since i have no plane at the moment!

It was really hard to turn her over to the next pilot...REALLY HARD!

Got the website http://pilotsnpaws.org/forum/index.php?sid=463142f4601e303aacbf04f58531b3b7... At the Board Index select guidelines for pilots.... a lot of your questions will be answered there...

I'm sure... I had a cat crap in a crate in the back of my car once... I couldn't get the car stopped and the door opened fast enough... Not looking forward to the same experience in a plane...

The problem is with some of those smells, if I can't get the cabin aired out I'm going to end up contributing as well. :barfyface:

I flew with my dog (lab) and you never saw anyone less impressed with flying. She jumped in, settled in the back seat with an expression of, "This is a REALLY noisy car, but if you guys are going, I'm going too." Turned around after takeoff to check on her and she was asleep. Didn't wake up until we landed.

To be honest, I don't know how a dog would express enthusiasm for flying, but she was one notch above comatose.

I flew with my dog (lab) and you never saw anyone less impressed with flying. She jumped in, settled in the back seat with an expression of, "This is a REALLY noisy car, but if you guys are going, I'm going too." Turned around after takeoff to check on her and she was asleep. Didn't wake up until we landed.

To be honest, I don't know how a dog would express enthusiasm for flying, but she was one notch above comatose.
That's been my experience with every dog I've flown so far. They're asleep through the whole flight, but usually wake up on the roll-out and taxi to parking. Some get very agitated at that point.

That is how I feel on many PnP flights. It is very hard to resist that temptation. :)

OP, congratulations on your first pup flight and wishing you lots of luck for your future PnP flights.
Doggie kisses are the best reward ever. ;)

Why did a puppy require being rescued ?

Usually, pups are rescued from kill shelters and transported to no-kill shelters, rescue groups, fosters, vets etc.

Even kill-shelters will only euthanize animals they can't adopt out. It seems strange that a shelter would have difficulty finding a local home for a 13 week old puppy.

image.jpeg Yeah, I'd want to pocket that pup too. The only 'paws' flight I have done is the one last Summer to pick up 'Kara', about an hour away. She was fine, I let the other guy fly while I held her.

She's mostly grown up now.

The look on the new owners' faces and the appreciation you get from a P&P mission is worth it. Last one I flew was my last flight before my annual...which is STILL due and the IA has his head up his arse.

Cauz they gotta pee....
The only time our golden ever had an issue on a flight was because she had to pee. We got to the airport to fly down to the beach and while she was walking in the grass outside the FBO we heard thunder and went inside. We waited out the storm for about 30 minutes while the helpful line guys kept giving her water and of course treats. We loaded up in the hangar and they towed us out and we were off for the beach! About 30 minutes into the flight she is standing between the front seats whining, then she walked to the back, restless and fidgety. We finally figured out what was wrong and as soon as we landed, she made a dash for the grass and never had another issue flying. ;)

Congratulation to your first Pilots N Paws mission. 'Your' dog is definitely a cutie.

We did our very first P&,P flight at the end of February (4 cats from Niagara Falls, NY to Flint, Mo - they came from New York) and just this weekend we flew a French Bulldog from Detroit to Luray, VA and three cats from New York to Flint, MI.

Those flights are really the best as you have an excuse / a very good reason to fly places and you do something good at the same time. And you meet a lot of nice people!

Can always count on you for a buzz-kill! :(

He speaks the truth though... I flew to Cushing, OK to pick up my dog and he spackled himself over a 1.5 hour flight. Worst......flight......evvaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Even kill-shelters will only euthanize animals they can't adopt out. It seems strange that a shelter would have difficulty finding a local home for a 13 week old puppy.
Yea... I couldn't figure that out either... But I was so into the whole thing, I didn't think (or care) to ask why...

The problem is with some of those smells, if I can't get the cabin aired out I'm going to end up contributing as well. :barfyface:

"Let the report state, that the crash was caused by the pilot-in-command's loss of control by a gastrointestinal reflex, indirectly caused by the occupying cargo, a dog" - NTSB

I brought our pup home at last. The weather system that was supposed to clear by Sunday morning waited until today with a final blanket of thick fog (3/4 city block visibility this morning). I flew at 8500 to get above the turbulence on the way home. The pup did her businesses before loading up at the airport, then whined until we got airborne. At the moment of takeoff, she lost her lunch, then was calm until we landed two hours later. At least that's my assessment from the time at which I smelled something for a moment and the contents of the crate in addition to dog when we unloaded. Crate fit perfectly in cargo space of the Cherokee. Mission successful. Now to see if she will be as calm her first night at home as she was her first time in the air.

Only problem we had en route was that the breeder we picked her up from asked some questions about the security of the baggage door and the crate, which led to me feeling paranoid that it would pop open at some point, or based on the dog being quiet perhaps it already had. I took regular photos reaching back over the seat to reassure myself that at least the crate was still present.

Back