Pope Francis

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Congratulations to all POA members of the Catholic faith. The 266th pontiff has been elected.

:cheers:

(Not sure if a toasting smiley was appropriate but it should be a time of celebration?)

Pope Francis appears to be very Pro-family, life and marriage. Prayers that he leads with wisdom, honor and faith.

So, uh....who's gonna be the first to tell him to lighten up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And...as if...some Cardinals aren't???

There are some very left wing Cardinals in south America, IIRC, from reading Catholic journals over the years. Francis doesn't appear to be among them.
The election of a Latin American Pope really makes it difficult for DC and the media to get too nasty with them, as there are a HUGE number of Latin American Catholics and that HUGE is a lot to make mad.

Congratulations to all POA members of the Catholic faith. The 266th pontiff has been elected.

(Not sure if a toasting smiley was appropriate but it should be a time of celebration?)

Thank you! And drinking is part of our job description. :cheers:

He is a Jesuit. Historically monasteries operated many breweries, mostly as a method to preserve grain (and to get around fasting restrictions during lent :wink2: ). Toasting smiley seems appropriate.

Didn't take them long to come up with a consensus vote. I know nothing about him which doesn't mean much. Given his age, I wonder whether he will follow the example Benedict has set and retire when he reaches a certain point.

There are some very left wing Cardinals in south America, IIRC, from reading Catholic journals over the years. Francis doesn't appear to be among them.
The election of a Latin American Pope really makes it difficult for DC and the media to get too nasty with them, as there are a HUGE number of Latin American Catholics and that HUGE is a lot to make mad.

Agree.

The brief intro I got to him today on Foxnews and the NewsHour left me very impressed. This is a man who, up until a few days ago, rode the bus, often made his own meals, and spoke to his flock eye to eye, not "from above." His choice of the name, "Francis"--the first Pope Francis in history, by the way--speaks volumes about this man's humility and grace.

Do you know why they didn't choose the favorite cardinal, Angelo Sicola don't you?

Because Coca Cola complained about them choosing Pope Sicola

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Agree.

The brief intro I got to him today on Foxnews and the NewsHour left me very impressed. This is a man who, up until a few days ago, rode the bus, often made his own meals, and spoke to his flock eye to eye, not "from above." His choice of the name, "Francis"--the first Pope Francis in history, by the way--speaks volumes about this man's humility and grace.

I thought that too when I heard his name.

I'm not a Catholic, but I'll raise a glass of blue label Chimay to him. Oh wait, that's Trappist, not Franciscan. Does it matter?

On second thought, who cares!!!

With the Catholic church's ongoing sweeping under the carpet of child molestation by its leaders at all levels, I feel nothing but revulsion towards them and frankly wonder how anybody could continue to be associated with them in any way.

Francis's spirituality, his humility, his great compassion, and his profound love for the poor, are all well-known, and not even the secular media dare argue otherwise. But some news outlets seem to be confusing His Holiness's age and conservative theological positions with a "business-as-usual" sort of situation. I am confident that they'll soon realize how wrong an assumption that is.

The fact is that Jorge Bergoglio has always been a reformer -- and not a quiet one, at that. He also holds clergy, other religious, and the church itself to extremely high standards -- something he can get away with because he lives those standards himself. He has no patience for hypocrisy, and is not afraid to publicly chastise those in the church whose actions articulate it.

I think Francis is exactly the kind of Pope the Church needs right now. This is going to be an interesting papacy.

-Rich

Will we get a simoultaneous appearance of New Pope and Pope Classic?

Francis's spirituality, his humility, his great compassion, and his profound love for the poor, are all well-known, and not even the secular media dare argue otherwise. But some news outlets seem to be confusing His Holiness's age and conservative theological positions with a "business-as-usual" sort of situation. I am confident that they'll soon realize how wrong an assumption that is.

The fact is that Jorge Bergoglio has always been a reformer -- and not a quiet one, at that. He also holds clergy, other religious, and the church itself to extremely high standards -- something he can get away with because he lives those standards himself. He has no patience for hypocrisy, and is not afraid to publicly chastise those in the church whose actions articulate it.

I think Francis is exactly the kind of Pope the Church needs right now. This is going to be an interesting papacy.

-Rich

Agreed Rich. Based on what I've learned so far, I believe Francis is exactly what we need at this point in history.

Had a catholic girlfriend once.
Dunno what she said in confession, but if she confessed about us, his ears would have been smoking.
I miss that girl.

With the Catholic church's ongoing sweeping under the carpet of child molestation by its leaders at all levels, I feel nothing but revulsion towards them and frankly wonder how anybody could continue to be associated with them in any way.

+1.........................

I was raised a catholic but thankfully both my parents realized the church was just a big business more concerned about getting their 10% EVERY Sunday instead of the well being of our souls....... The child molestation issues should have sunk the religion,,, instead it gave them publicity... They are SICK people....:eek:

+1.........................

I was raised a catholic but thankfully both my parents realized the church was just a big business more concerned about getting their 10% EVERY Sunday instead of the well being of our souls....... The child molestation issues should have sunk the religion,,, instead it gave them publicity... They are SICK people....:eek:

All 1.2 billion Catholics are SICK because of some bad apples and poor leadership decisions in the child molestation issue? Wow talk about painting with a broad brush....

The guy sounds really, really cool. I really admire those who walk the walk instead of just talking the talk. I hope he's up to the challenges ahead. The Catholic church can be a powerful and outstanding voice for morality and reason under the right leadership.

We had parent teacher conferences last night and it was fun listening to the teacher's recount the kids watching the presentation of Francis on TV in class yesterday. They said that the cardinal who came out before Francis wes unexpectedly wearing all-white, and the kids thought it was the new Pope and were all taken aback by his age (ancient). It's fun to see the kids' take on things.

I agree that this guy is a perfect choice and I can't wait to see when the house-cleaning in the Curia begins.

I'm happy with this choice. Especially since he chose the name Francis.
I gave up Catholicism for Lent but when Lent is over I can go back.

-Rich
I'm anxious to read more about him. Two interesting points so far:

1. He is not part of the Curia (the Vatican inner circle). I think that may be a good thing, especially given that many believe that the Curia needs reform.

2. He's a Jesuit.

When I was growing up, my dad gave me school choice: Notre Dame High School (Priests and brother of the Congregation of the Holy Cross) or Loyola Academy (The Jesuits). At that time, the Jesuits were known as the sandal clad, pony tail wearing liberal order of priests. Today, the same, with a few less pony tails.

Fast forward a lot of years, and I had to tell a friend, Father Bill, a Holy Cross priest, that my daughter was not going to the University of Notre Dame (run by the Congregation of the Holy Cross), but was attending the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA, which is run by the Jesuits. (Stick with me here - confusing, I know.)

Bill, who is a pretty funny guy, said "That's OK. Just don't let her convert." :rofl: OK, I guess you had to be there.

But back to Pope Francis. I understand that he has been known to challenge some the more liberal wing of the Jesuit order. I'm anxious to learn more about that.

Last edited:
Just curious but how does the Vatican collect or make money to pay for their expenses. After all there is no religion tax. And I don't think the souvenir stores at the Vatican make enough to pay for all this. I never heard of a Vatican deficit. Maybe Obama should look into it to solve our deficit.

José

Just curious but how does the Vatican collect or make money to pay for their expenses. After all there is no religion tax. And I don't think the souvenir stores at the Vatican make enough to pay for all this. I never heard of a Vatican deficit. Maybe Obama should look into it to solve our deficit.

José
You're thinking about it in terms of the local baptist church down the road from your house. There is a lot more to it than that. The Catholic church is a soveriegn state with many, many business and investment interests. Your note about obama is amusing, the vatican pre-dated the USA and it will be around long after our country ceases to exist. But speaking to the issues of this brief time that we are here to observe, yes there have been a lot of questions about transparency in the vatican banking system and in recent years there have been some moves to have auditors from the European central bank come in. Hopefully Francis will accelerate that process as part of a reform of the Curia.

I had a lay teacher in the second grade, who labeled me a "juvenile delinquent." My mother had to go see Sister Mary Teresa.

Sister Mary told my mother. "Don't worry......she's JUST a convert!"

You're thinking about it in terms of the local baptist church down the road from your house. There is a lot more to it than that. The Catholic church is a soveriegn state with many, many business and investment interests. Your note about obama is amusing, the vatican pre-dated the USA and it will be around long after our country ceases to exist. But speaking to the issues of this brief time that we are here to observe, yes there have been a lot of questions about transparency in the vatican banking system and in recent years there have been some moves to have auditors from the European central bank come in. Hopefully Francis will accelerate that process as part of a reform of the Curia.

Jeff thanks for your response. I am just surprised that the Catholic church has survived for that long without taxation. They probably get their investment advice from "heavens". Oh well maybe is time to pray to see if I get any good tips.

José

Jeff thanks for your response. I am just surprised that the Catholic church has survived for that long without taxation. They probably get their investment advice from "heavens". Oh well maybe is time to pray to see if I get any good tips.

José
there are "taxes" in a manner of speaking

parishers give a share of income to the parish
parishes give a share to the dioces
dioces' give something to the vatican

But what those amounts are, and what they do, I have no idea. It's not a straightforward thing to sort out. For example, our parish and my kids' school get their liability and employee health insurance through the dioces. But breaking out the parishes' payments to the dioces in terms of tangible benefits like insurance vs support for the bureaucracy vs charitable works is not something I have visibility to when I put my check in the basket each sunday.

José

Have you visited the Vatican? The Catholic Church owns so many priceless works of art, it truly is astounding. Priceless, as in worth so much you cannot put a price on it. The Vatican archives are legendary for whatever secrets they hold. They own so much artwork and property, and in previous centuries tithing was customary. They have had two thousand years to collect assets.

Congrats to Pope Francis, and I honestly hope that he's the Pope that puts an end to the Child Molestation and sweeping it under the rug. I was a Catholic for 22 years before I left the church (and the Christian faith as a whole) and I will honestly say that if any of the previous popes had just evicted the child molesting priest from the church and handed them over to authorities instead of switching them to another parish, things would've been much better off for The Church as a whole.

As for why I left, well I left for spiritual reasons. Simply put, I stopped agreeing with The Church (and the Christian faith) on several key issues.

I understand that he has been known to challenge some the more liberal wing of the Jesuit order. I'm anxious to learn more about that.
He condemned the Marxist-revolutionary aspect of the liberation theology (as did Ratzinger when he was working for JPII). As you probably know liberation theology was invented in South America.

Back