Poor Man's Failed Instrument Cover

I usually find a random piece of paper floating around the cabin, poke a hole into it so I can hang it on the AI adjuster, then draw a smiley face in place of the AI.

Wallet? Who can afford a wallet? I sold mine a long time ago for flying money.

Somewhere someone use to sell a set of covers that look like the kaput instrument. The IA was showing something like 10-15deg bank and 5deg nose down. Hidden away is simply gone forgetaboutit. In your face conflicting information has got to screw with your mind.

fgcason said:

Somewhere someone use to sell a set of covers that look like the kaput instrument. The IA was showing something like 10-15deg bank and 5deg nose down. Hidden away is simply gone forgetaboutit. In your face conflicting information has got to screw with your mind.
I had an actual vacuum failure under the hood. It took a few minutes for me to stop trying to get the DG to work anyway.

He used his wallet because he doesn't need it for anything else. There's a feeling I'm familiar with.

HPNPilot1200 said:
I know the title may seem ironic, but check this picture out (look at the DG):

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1111311/L/

...more like a wealthy man's failed instrument cover. :p That's the first I've seen a wallet used as an instrument cover, but then again, I see new things all the time.

Enjoy,
Jason

A business card works great, too... slips in between the glass and the instrument bezel, doesn't fall out.

fgcason said:

I lost mine the day after I got married. Haven't found it yet...but I'm still looking. :(

Frank Browne said:
I lost mine the day after I got married. Haven't found it yet...but I'm still looking. :(

Bumper sticker - "Driver carries no cash. He's married"

Only gets worse when your kids hit their teens. :D

I use post-it notes to cover up the panel. There simple and always around the office. :)

Sheet of paper with a hole in works fine, just like Tony mentioned. My plane's previous owner had a bunch of failed instrument covers with the suction cups on them and left them in the plane. If I need one I could grab one of those as well. I did use one my DG went TU in July. For my vacuum failure last year I used paper.

anumerick said:
I use post-it notes to cover up the panel. There simple and always around the office. :)
Really? Not around my office! Scarce as hen's teeth! :D

Ron Levy said:
Post-it's don't stick well to crinkly plastic overlays.

These guys actually use pads of post-it notes made up that are the exact size and shape of the instruments and stick 'em right to the glass.

Back