Poor Brent taking it on the nose

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N97642

He left 3M3 here this morning at 8:30am, and is still flying. Hit "More past flights" to see him leaving Collegedale Muni this morning.

Ugh.

Oh yeah, he was trying to make Tucson today.

Last edited:
Those Mooneys sure aren't very fast. :rofl:

Actually for westbound at this time of the year, he's doing pretty well. Are the MEA's keeping him at those altitudes?

Those Mooneys sure aren't very fast. :rofl:

That's just mean.

Wow, that was some diversion on the 2nd leg. Weather, I presume? I heard there was a big wreck near Amarillo due to 0 vis. (blowing snow) that shut down I-40 for hours...

Poor boy must be whupped.

-Rich

Mmmm . . .

Nothing like those 3+ hour flights and just a water bottle for relief (empty it then fill it up again).

~ Christopher

Looks like he finally gave up in New Mexico. I can't blame him. That was one hell of a diversion over Oklahoma.

Looks like he finally gave up in New Mexico. I can't blame him. That was one hell of a diversion over Oklahoma.
There was a LONG thin line of thunderstorm activity (frontal boundary) extending from Missouri to Southern Texas yesterday... my first thought was that he ran into that, but it looks like (based on times) he ran into this system in OK (historical radar, not sure how long this will stay a valid link):

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/cu...=5&year=2007&month=12&day=22&hour=14&minute=0

Last edited:
I finally made it to sunny Tucson Arizona. Weather is great!! It wasn't so great when we were flying through Oklahoma. If you want to see a serious diversion look at my track over OK on flight aware. I started getting some ice so I turned south and ran like a scared dog. On the ground at our unplanned fuel stop I could actually see that we picked up 1/4" ice on all leading edges. :hairraise: We added fuel, manually removed the ice and then were on our merry way to GUP.

We started flying at 8:30am EST and got to Gallup at 10:45pm EST. I was totally pooped with flying so I stayed the night. The next morning I got to tour Gallup and ate lunch at the ElRancho Hotel & Motel which is known as the "Home of the Movie Stars". In the 1930's - 1950's they made lots of western movies in the area and all the stars would stay at this hotel. After Lunch I made 1.5hr flight on down to Tucson. It was perfectly clear day and a beautiful flight down :yes:.

I am looking forward to the trip home WITH A TAIL WIND:fcross:.

Merry Christmas Everybody!!

Ted, I'm here for the week. If you want to get together for lunch or an evening drink let me know.

The next morning I got to tour Gallup and ate lunch at the ElRancho Hotel & Motel which is known as the "Home of the Movie Stars". In the 1930's - 1950's they made lots of western movies in the area and all the stars would stay at this hotel.
That's a pretty interesting place, isn't it? Especially if you look at all the old pictures. Glad you made it to Tucson!

50 bucks says high pressure system over nebraska when you want to come home. :D

Tail wind home, that seems to never happen!

Heck, it happens every time I leave Ames, IA. :rofl:

Seriously... First time there I hit 206 knots GS on the way back in the 182.

Second time, it was 188 knots in the Arrow. That one's on groundspeedrecords.com. (I didn't get the first one in there 'cuz by the time I thought to get a picture of the 430, it had been pulled and replaced with the 430W so the max speed was gone.)

Third (and last) time it was "only" in the 150's, again in the 182.

Other than that, though...

When are you leaving town? I'm not sure about my schedule just yet.

I am leaving Saturday morning. The family wants to go horseback riding tomorrow so I'm not available for lunch. That leaves tomorrow evening open before I blast outa here the next morn.

Flew from Atlanta area to DFW area on Christmas day. Stayed at 4,000' and had a TAILWIND the whole way. Saw groudspeeds as high as the 170's over Miss. at WOT, 2500 and 35dF LOP (9.8 gph).
Came back last night at 9,000' (8.4 gph). Winds weren't as favorable as forecast, but still made the trip in 4:15. Could not have done it faster on Delta door-to-door, and I got to pick when to leave. Landed at 11pm with 800' overcast.

Flew from Atlanta area to DFW area on Christmas day. Stayed at 4,000' and had a TAILWIND the whole way. Saw groudspeeds as high as the 170's over Miss. at WOT, 2500 and 35dF LOP (9.8 gph).
Came back last night at 9,000' (8.4 gph). Winds weren't as favorable as forecast, but still made the trip in 4:15. Could not have done it faster on Delta door-to-door, and I got to pick when to leave. Landed at 11pm with 800' overcast.

I was watching your trips on FlightAware... you made good time getting back to 9A1 last night, non-stop, too! Why the stop on the way out here, since you had a tailwind. I thought about popping over to GKY and surprising you with a "hey!" but things got crazy around the house with some work contractors are doing...

According to ADDS, winds along my route tomorrow at 12k (I'll be at 11k) will give me a 40+knot tailwind :D Sweeeeeet

According to ADDS, winds along my route tomorrow at 12k (I'll be at 11k) will give me a 40+knot tailwind :D Sweeeeeet
I hope you get them. Forecast was for 50 for me last night, but the best I saw was 35 and it was as low as 20 over Alabama.
Troy, I really missed having an Addison get together this trip. It was a very short one, but I know it made my mother happy to have #1 son visit on Christmas.
I planned the stop outbound because you can't count on a tailwind that direction, and with 3 adults, luggage, Christmas presents, etc, I just didn't fill it up with gas. I face the same thing Sunday with 4 adults going to New Orleans. I hate to stop, but there's that annoying little max. gross number to deal with.

I have never run my 201 LOP. With fuel burns like that I better start.

Troy, I really missed having an Addison get together this trip. It was a very short one, but I know it made my mother happy to have #1 son visit on Christmas.

I planned the stop outbound because you can't count on a tailwind that direction, and with 3 adults, luggage, Christmas presents, etc, I just didn't fill it up with gas. I face the same thing Sunday with 4 adults going to New Orleans. I hate to stop, but there's that annoying little max. gross number to deal with.

See, here I was imagining you were flying solo! Glad you had company. It's fun to share flying trips with the right people...

I have never run my 201 LOP. With fuel burns like that I better start.
Simply put...yes, you'd better.
Let's see: much better fuel economy, cooler CHTs, cleaner oil, cleaner spark plugs, etc. What's not to like:D

Hey Brent:

I sent you an e-mail on this, but we took the Southern route, stayed out of the ice, and made it safely to KSAF right as the sun was setting on Sunday. My best average groundspeed was 125kt due to strong headwinds.

Returned to 1A0 today (SAT). After an overnight stay in KTXK had a 50kt tailwind, with a groundspeed up to 199kts and clear skies.

-WT

Brent, congrats on 200+ per flightaware!

05:42PM 34.97 -94.80 201 11100

05:46PM 34.98 -94.52 202 11100

05:50PM 35.00 -94.25 202 11100

05:52PM 35.00 -94.05 211 11000
arrow_down.gif
05:53PM 35.02 -93.98 216 11000

05:54PM 35.02 -93.92 210 11000

05:55PM 35.02 -93.85 203 11000

Last edited:
So, Brent, when you cruise at 11k for a long time, do you ever grab a whiff of O2? Maybe I am just old, but extended cruising that high wears me out.

---

No Flightaware, because we were strictly VFR, but I had 25-30 knot tailwinds all the way from Alpine (E38) to Addison yesterday, and very cooperative controllers with Regional Approach, took me right over DFW. Wheels-up to "chirp-chirp" in 2:01, and that ain't bad!

---

And Lance, we must must must have another gathering of birdmen when next you head this way. :yes:

So, Brent, when you cruise at 11k for a long time, do you ever grab a whiff of O2? Maybe I am just old, but extended cruising that high wears me out.

I currently don't have O2 but I am in the market for a portable system. I wanted to do the Dr. Bruce O2 DIY before my trip but didn't have enough time.

Back